  • Michael Barnes
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 2, 2002
      In my shop we have been using and printing Indesign files since 2 came out.
      It presents no problems because one of my staff loves it and works
      comfortably in Illustrator and Photoshop anyway. Using OS10 on the Mac we
      can even open PC Indesign files along with the PC fonts.

      We have no experience with Open type yet as far as I know. But at a recent
      trade show in Toronto I watched an Adobe instructor demonstrate wonderful
      Indesign features: like type transparency, type stroke and fill (all while
      editable) and a font character display which is far better than Keycaps.

      As to PDF, we receive and print plenty of them but because we seldom know
      how they were made, we are left with mysteries at the end. Be cautious
      importing PDFs into Quark picture boxes and then printing. Recently we have
      had numerous font defaults at the rip when we followed that method, yet when
      we print from Acrobat the fonts print correctly. Can anyone enlighten me on
      that? It may be wiser to import PDFs into Indesign and print from there,
      since then we are remaining in the Adobe family, so to speak.

      Michael Barnes
      Vancouver