Re: Roller Durometer

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 1, 2009
      Clay

      I really can't give you a recommendation for a platen presss but Vandercook recommended a Shore A 20 for synthetic rubbers; this would be generic and for when presses were reproducing from metal type and plates. For photopolymer plates it has been recommended that a slightly harder reading of Shore A 25 will suffice. If you take readings of the rollers you will note that they harden incrementally and relatively fast dependent largely upon the inks and solvents you use and the environmental conditions of your shop.

      Shore A 25 is what I order for my Vandercooks. Note though, that you should also request a specific formulation based on your type of ink and your printing application; press, purpose, etc (soy inks, especially, require a specific formula according to my rep, as they are "aggressive"). Best to have a talk with your roller dealer.