JAPAN TIPS??? (Of any kind will be welcome)

  • Iñaki Granell
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 19, 2009
      Hi everybody
      I'm going to Yokohama, Tokio and nearby in August and I was wondering if anyone has suggestions about interesting places related with our great subjects: type, letterpress, museums, art supply stores, bookstores... I am also very involved in Calligraphy â€"I guess it will be exploding on every streetâ€" and I'm searching for information on the net and I don't get too much clear, for not to mention only-japanese-text sites.

      So, anyone who knows the country has any recommendation?

      Well, thanks in advance. (Hope I haven't done any incorrection on the way I posted this message. Excuse me if so.)

      Iñaki
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 19, 2009
        You definitely want to go to the Printing Museum, Tokyo

        http://www.tokyo-cci.or.jp/sangyokanko/english/073.html

        They pretty much have it all covered.

        --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Iñaki Granell <igranell2@...> wrote:

        > Hi everybody
        > I'm going to Yokohama, Tokio and nearby in August and I was wondering if anyone has suggestions about interesting places related with our great subjects: type, letterpress, museums, art supply stores, bookstores... I am also very involved in Calligraphy â€"I guess it will be exploding on every streetâ€" and I'm searching for information on the net and I don't get too much clear, for not to mention only-japanese-text sites.
        >
        > So, anyone who knows the country has any recommendation?
        >
        > Well, thanks in advance. (Hope I haven't done any incorrection on the way I posted this message. Excuse me if so.)
        >

        > Iñaki

      • Inaki Granell
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 19, 2009
          Thank you so much for your quick response, Gerald!

          I'll tell you about it!

          Anything else, anybody? I'm so excited about it!

          Thanks again,

          Inaki

          2009/6/19 Gerald Lange <Bieler@...>

          > You definitely want to go to the Printing Museum, Tokyo
          >
          > http://www.tokyo-cci.or.jp/sangyokanko/english/073.html
          >
          > They pretty much have it all covered.
          >
          > Gerald
          > http://BielerPress.blogspot.com
          >

          > --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com <PPLetterpress%40yahoogroups.com>,
          > I�aki Granell <igranell2@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi everybody
          > > I'm going to Yokohama, Tokio and nearby in August and I was wondering if
          > anyone has suggestions about interesting places related with our great
          > subjects: type, letterpress, museums, art supply stores, bookstores... I am
          > also very involved in Calligraphy ��"I guess it will be exploding on every
          > street��" and I'm searching for information on the net and I don't get too
          > much clear, for not to mention only-japanese-text sites.
          > >
          > > So, anyone who knows the country has any recommendation?
          > >
          > > Well, thanks in advance. (Hope I haven't done any incorrection on the way
          > I posted this message. Excuse me if so.)
          > >

          > > I��aki

        • alex brooks
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 19, 2009
            The Toppan museum is really nice, I was there 2 winters ago. There
            are also lots of type foundries, woodblock printing studios (hanga)
            and letterpress print shops, although I think they would be hard to
            find without Japanese language skills or a guide. And most places you
            can't just pop in. You should definitely go to Tokyu Hands in Tokyo -
            it's an art supply store on steroids.

            Not much help, but good luck
            -alex
            press eight seventeen - lexington letterpress

            On Jun 19, 2009, at 4:51 AM, I�aki Granell wrote:

            > Hi everybody
            > I'm going to Yokohama, Tokio and nearby in August and I was
            > wondering if anyone has suggestions about interesting places
            > related with our great subjects: type, letterpress, museums, art
            > supply stores, bookstores... I am also very involved in Calligraphy
            > ��"I guess it will be exploding on every street��" and I'm
            > searching for information on the net and I don't get too much
            > clear, for not to mention only-japanese-text sites.
            >
            > So, anyone who knows the country has any recommendation?
            >
            > Well, thanks in advance. (Hope I haven't done any incorrection on
            > the way I posted this message. Excuse me if so.)
            >
            > I��aki

          • Jessica Spring
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 19, 2009
              The Itoya store in Tokyo is seven stories of art supplies with two
              additional outbuildings. I had the good fortune to come across a
              printer doing woodblock demonstrations the day I was there. Though we
              couldn't speak the same language we did converse in printer gestures
              somehow, talking about registration, how the plate reverses, etc. I
              spent most of the day there and it's not too far from Tokyu Hands as I
              recall. Some of the best paper I found was in Kyoto if you get a
              chance to go there.
              . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
              Jessica Spring
              http://www.springtidepress.com

              On Jun 19, 2009, at 7:04 AM, alex brooks wrote:

              > The Toppan museum is really nice, I was there 2 winters ago. There
              > are also lots of type foundries, woodblock printing studios (hanga)
              > and letterpress print shops, although I think they would be hard to
              > find without Japanese language skills or a guide. And most places you
              > can't just pop in. You should definitely go to Tokyu Hands in Tokyo -
              > it's an art supply store on steroids.
              >
              > Not much help, but good luck
              > -alex
              > press eight seventeen - lexington letterpress
              >
              > On Jun 19, 2009, at 4:51 AM, Iñaki Granell wrote:
              >

              >> Hi everybody
              >> I'm going to Yokohama, Tokio and nearby in August and I was
              >> wondering if anyone has suggestions about interesting places
              >> related with our great subjects: type, letterpress, museums, art
              >> supply stores, bookstores... I am also very involved in Calligraphy
              >> â€"I guess it will be exploding on every streetâ€" and I'm
              >> searching for information on the net and I don't get too much
              >> clear, for not to mention only-japanese-text sites.
              >>
              >> So, anyone who knows the country has any recommendation?
              >>
              >> Well, thanks in advance. (Hope I haven't done any incorrection on
              >> the way I posted this message. Excuse me if so.)
              >>
              >> Iñaki

            • Elinor Nissley
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 20, 2009
                I'm glad someone mentioned Itoya. I nearly had a nervous breakdown there, it was so overwhelmingly stationery-wonderful. Ginza. and any of the Tokyu Hands are equally chockablock!

                and if stationery stores float your boat (sadly they do mine, sadly for my pocketbook) I picked up a wonderful Zakka store guide (zakka means something like "handmade") at Kinokuniya books (itself a great resource) that kept me occupied for days...

                there is a legendary section of Tokyo, near the main downtown, that has a row of great, jam-packed used bookstores, though the exact name of the neighborhood escapes me. I recommend, especially for book specimens you can just leaf through, and for quirky stacks of old design magazines.

                Have fun! stay cool! bring a handkerchief to mop your brow!
              • Elinor Nissley
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 20, 2009
                  ps if you do make it to Kyoto, and you should!, I highly recommend this book (especially now that it is updated):
                  http://www.amazon.com/Old-Kyoto-Updated-Traditional-Restaurants/dp/4770029942#
                  I found it invaluable, and surprising how many traditional shops have survived. You'll find in its pages an amazing ink/paint/brush shop, paper shops, as well as a mind blowing indigo dying operation...
                • Erik Desmyter
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 20, 2009
                    http://www.mizunopritech.co.jp/museum/info/index.html

                    http://www.mizunopritech.co.jp/museum/press/press.html

                    Mr. Mizuno from Mizuno Pritech has since decades a private company museum or
                    collection in Tokyo including several handpresses including a Stanhope,
                    Albions & Columbian and even Gutenberg is looking over his shoulder. The
                    below address info is 10 years old but is maybe still correct.

                    Mizuno Printing Museum
                    Mizuno Pritech,
                    2-9-2 Irifune
                    Chuo-ku, Tokyo 104-0042