Platemaker

  • ausart1938
    Message 1 of 29 , Jun 18, 2009
      At Gulgong pioneers Museum we are bidding on a Photopolymer Platemaker with the UV unit and the washout and drying unit all combined. Is there anything in particular to watch out for with these units, there is no manufacturers name on the unit. This is a A3 size unit. We hope with this we may get a new generation interested in what we do at the Olde Time Print Shoppe.
      We have 3 Linecasters working now and another goes but the pot is not set up. Our model 48 and Electron still need work. We have a second Ludlow up and running and with a Adana, C&P 8x12 and a Proof Press plus other gear we will take this to our local small farms field days next month. These are all fine now with myself and our Lino Mechanic but we need someone to learn these machines and if they can't at least they could use the platemaker. If we get this platemaker it will be a new learning curve for me.
      Arthur in Australia.
      Message 2 of 29 , Jun 18, 2009
        Arthur

        I am currently in the process of rehabilitating a photopolymer
        platemaker (for an institution) and yes there are some things to be
        concerned about. First off, this eBay bid-won machine came damaged in
        shipping, nice, but nothing not cosmetic seemed damaged. After pounding
        flat the metal sheeting smashed by the fork lift, I had to rewire the
        machine because of some electric configuration differences, this might
        not be uncommon.

        As an aside I think this is funny: It's a single-phase with a big odd
        electrical plug. The institutional electrician determined that because
        of the plug a three-phase rewiring would cost the department $3,500,
        internal rewiring of the walls, etc. Big tag on the back of the machine:
        single-phase. I found a cord and smaller plug in my junk. Re-did some of
        the connections. Problem solved. Amazingly, in this economy, that
        electrician still has a job, eating jelly dough nuts every morning and
        blowing off steam most of the day. Um, at one point in my life I was a
        card carrying member of the IBEW.

        There are going to be usual maintenance replacements: brushes, bulbs,
        vacuum pump, odd parts. None of this is all that difficult. But it is
        expensive. Electrical problems are usually rampant, mainly a matter of
        replacing stuff; switches, ballasts, connections. WD-40 does wonders
        though, try it first on switches.

        The main problem you have is already stated, you don't have a
        manufacturer's name. That could be real important in terms of manual,
        parts availability, etc. I would be concerned about that.

        There is some likely useful information for you on my weblog : digital
        Letterpress page.

        Best of luck.

        ausart1938 wrote:
        > At Gulgong pioneers Museum we are bidding on a Photopolymer Platemaker with the UV unit and the washout and drying unit all combined. Is there anything in particular to watch out for with these units, there is no manufacturers name on the unit. This is a A3 size unit. We hope with this we may get a new generation interested in what we do at the Olde Time Print Shoppe.
        > We have 3 Linecasters working now and another goes but the pot is not set up. Our model 48 and Electron still need work. We have a second Ludlow up and running and with a Adana, C&P 8x12 and a Proof Press plus other gear we will take this to our local small farms field days next month. These are all fine now with myself and our Lino Mechanic but we need someone to learn these machines and if they can't at least they could use the platemaker. If we get this platemaker it will be a new learning curve for me.
        > Arthur in Australia.

      • Norman Hicks
        Message 3 of 29 , Oct 10, 2010
          Are you sure that you need an all-in-one-box?

          I have seen a lot of "home made" setups.
          Not sure I would start out with an imagesetter and film processor.
          The imagesetter is easy enough but the chemistry and the film
          processor is another matter...
          To expose the plate you simply need a vacuum frame and a light source,
          Washing can be accomplished with a soft brush and doing it by hand. Re-
          exposing and baking are also simple.

          The platemakers are expensive, used or new. We have thought about
          importing a nice Japanese brand but it seems like too much work...
          The flexo printing world uses platemakers though theirs are solvent
          (nasty) wash, maybe they could be modified to be water wash.... I sure
          that there would be a large supply of those units...

          We have several platemakers from the rubber-stamp making-world, maybe
          they could work?

          Norman Hicks

          Hicks Brothers Printing Equipment
          582 6th Street