Re: Our new world?? OT

    Message 1 of 6 , May 20 11:20 PM
      Alex

      Back in 1976 I took on a job where I had access to email and online retrieval of information (from scientific, industrial, and military databases) but was still sending announcements of all my letterpress related stuff through the mail. Obviously, since no one had access to online material at the time! When I published Printing Digital Type. . . it was announced via traditional printed sources and printed prospectuses were sent out via mail. I don't even bother with that anymore. I don't even bother to keep a mailing list anymore. On the other hand, I too don't use a cell phone, mainly I guess because a land line works just fine and I really don't want to be bothered by calls when I am not at my desk. First time I ever saw someone using a cell phone in a grocery store, the guy walked out talking, and left his purchases behind. Okay, something to be learned by that I thought. The other day, I'm standing in line at the ATM and the woman in from of me is bitching on the phone about how lame someone is. I get to the machine and it asks me "would you like another transaction"? Man, temptation. "Hey, lady, you forgot your card." She grabs it out of my hand and too busy still on the phone to even say thank you, walks out the door.

      Quite a mixed up lot of technology we have gotten ourselves into. And, especially us, with our half-century + + + + old presses.