Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: Letterpress Economy Informal Poll (OT)

  • Incline Press
    Message 1 of 27 , May 18, 2009
      > Alex -
      >
      > I don¹t have a cell Alex, nor do I want/need one, which sort of seems to make
      > this new system a bit flawed.
      >
      > I like cash. It¹s a system that has worked for a long time, and continues to
      > work. I don¹t stand in line to buy a (subway) ticket; I get on the bus, pay
      > the conductor, and all is well. What¹s wrong with that? What part of that
      > needs changing? For what purpose? Anyway, what¹s wrong with standing in line
      > all of a sudden? You save time? And what do you do with all those seconds and
      > minutes you have saved, learn to be a clock watcher?
      >
      > Buying at a distance I can put a check in the mail, or send paper money.
      > Rarely do I ever need instant money transfer, but even the debit card has a
      > hard time accomplishing that, though it does enough of the job to fit that
      > need.
      >
      > Let¹s try not to slavishly follow every new game that comes to town. ³Our new
      > world² you say, who is the ³us² in that? No-one asked me! I¹m happier with our
      > old world. I don¹t know why we got rid of the 20th century ­ this one¹s no
      > improvement so far, just more change for the sake of it. What a waste!
      >
      > Graham

      Graham Moss

      Incline Press
      36 Bow Street
      Oldham OL1 1SJ England

      http://www.inclinepress.com

      > Graham-
      > Will all respect, your thoughts here are a bit flawed. The bank has
      > no more access to your funds than if you had a simple debit card. You
      > put a certain amount of money in that acct, and you access it through
      > your cell. Instead of waiting in a line to buy a subway ticket with
      > your credit card, you just walk up to the turnstile, your phone
      > recognizes the turnstile, and you pay with a push of a button, then
      > go on your way.
      >
      > It's also a somewhat misplaced criticism (mindlessly accepting tech
      > fads) of someone who makes a living restoring & printing with hundred
      > year old machines and binding books by hand.
      >
      > Fritz gets mad at me because I don't have a checkbook, but that's
      > just our new world.
      >
      > Cheers, Alex
      > press eight seventeen - lexington letterpress
      >

      > Messages in this topic (25) Reply (via web post) | Start a new topic
      > Messages | Files | Photo

    • half.press
      Message 2 of 27 , Feb 7, 2010
        That reminds me of the famous complot to still Lincoln's body, to free Benjamin Boyd from jail and also cash ransom in the amount of two hundred thousand dollars. What would be that in 1876 ?

        This guy, Boyd, got to be a master ! How daring this old fellas were.

        But hey, after all, the cops got it right or was it a lucky day ?

        Now folks, I am saying this because it would be a awesome novella. You can write if you like —if it is not already written.

        First of all, counterfeiting currency is a job that doesn't pay. It is high crime against the state.

        In the other hand how nice would be having a union job on the US Bureau of Engraving and Printing, these days.

        That's a better idea.