Re: [PPLetterpress] Letterpress Economy Informal Poll

  • Scott Rubel
    Message 1 of 27 , May 8, 2009
      If letterpress is a luxury, which I guess it is, then it makes sense. I
      had not heard this about Cranes.

      The companies seeing a big increase in sales this year sell seeds,
      gardening supplies, guns, solar power, cheap meals (McDonalds), cheap
      stuff (WalMart). Maybe we should be working on letterpress seed labels.

      If the power all goes out, at least some of us have treadle presses and
      then letterpress won't be so much a luxury anymore.

      --Scott

      Message 2 of 27 , May 8, 2009
        On 8 May 2009, at 11:13 AM, Scott Rubel wrote:

        > If letterpress is a luxury, which I guess it is, then it makes
        > sense. I
        > had not heard this about Cranes.
        >
        > The companies seeing a big increase in sales this year sell seeds,
        > gardening supplies, guns, solar power, cheap meals (McDonalds), cheap
        > stuff (WalMart). Maybe we should be working on letterpress seed
        > labels.
        >
        > If the power all goes out, at least some of us have treadle presses
        > and
        > then letterpress won't be so much a luxury anymore.

        That's why I've still got a couple of cabinets of foundry type* ;-)
        and two Old Style C&Ps over there, one of them retrofitted with a jury-
        rigged treadle

        Although I don't know that I'd be able to manage a weekly news sheet,
        let alone a daily!
        Oh geez, and with city hall around the corner, imagine trying to keep
        up with the forms!!

        Seed labels, good idea!

        Cheers,

        * don't let the gun nuts know. The lead is, ahem, easily repurposed...

        Peter Fraterdeus
        Half-Assed Letterpress (name change for the times)
        http://slowprint.com/

      • rdziesing
        Message 3 of 27 , May 8, 2009
          We were doing a pretty brisk business on Etsy until the middle of March when the orders stopped dead. Crane's should do well selling paper for currency to the US Mint as they're just printing it up like mad.

          On the other hand, there's a story that the best counterfeiter ever stole some actual paper and was turning out excellent currency on his Heidelberg Tiegel.

          That's probably the only way you, or I, will see any stimulus money.

          The stimulus money is earmarked for the morons that got us into this mess to begin with.

          Just my opinion.

          Ha!
        • Scott Rubel
          Message 4 of 27 , May 8, 2009
            And now some news from the world of cannibalistic enterprises:

            Martha Stewart and Crane partnering with a line of letterpress
            wedding stationery.

            http://tinyurl.com/r84z34

            --Scott

            On May 8, 2009, at 6:21 PM, rdziesing wrote:

            > We were doing a pretty brisk business on Etsy until the middle of
            > March when the orders stopped dead. Crane's should do well selling
            > paper for currency to the US Mint as they're just printing it up
            > like mad.
            >
            > On the other hand, there's a story that the best counterfeiter ever
            > stole some actual paper and was turning out excellent currency on
            > his Heidelberg Tiegel.
            >
            > That's probably the only way you, or I, will see any stimulus money.
            >
            > The stimulus money is earmarked for the morons that got us into
            > this mess to begin with.
            >
            > Just my opinion.
            >
            > Ha!

          • okintertype
            Message 5 of 27 , May 8, 2009
              Actually, the money supply in this country is composed of very little paper currency (16-18% as I recall). It is mostly checks, etc.

              Stan

              Message 6 of 27 , May 8, 2009
                Well, since Martha Stewart sort of kick started the interest in letterpress wedding invitations way back a bouts when the 21st century began, I don't see how anyone involved in that present day activity should actually deny tribute.

                In regard to counterfeiting, best story I ever heard of was a Brooklyn printer who printed $1 bills, just enough for his weekly needs. For over 20 years. The Feds never looked for $1 bills!!! Q: Why print $1 bills when you could print $100 bills? A: Because no one will pay attention?

                My take on the current recession and contemporary letterpress is that we were really, really very lucky this time. Other sectors of the economy, obviously not so, but in terms of letterpress, most of us are still here and kicking, with minor wounds to lick.

                Gerald

                > And now some news from the world of cannibalistic enterprises:
                >
                > Martha Stewart and Crane partnering with a line of letterpress
                > wedding stationery.
                >
                > http://tinyurl.com/r84z34
                >
                > --Scott
                >
                > On May 8, 2009, at 6:21 PM, rdziesing wrote:
                >
                > > We were doing a pretty brisk business on Etsy until the middle of
                > > March when the orders stopped dead. Crane's should do well selling
                > > paper for currency to the US Mint as they're just printing it up
                > > like mad.
                > >
                > > On the other hand, there's a story that the best counterfeiter ever
                > > stole some actual paper and was turning out excellent currency on
                > > his Heidelberg Tiegel.
                > >
                > > That's probably the only way you, or I, will see any stimulus money.
                > >
                > > The stimulus money is earmarked for the morons that got us into
                > > this mess to begin with.
                > >
                > > Just my opinion.
                > >
                > > Ha!

              • Bryan Hutcheson
                Message 7 of 27 , May 9, 2009
                  Always thought a sure way to destroy a nation's economy would be to
                  use the currency as a tool for distributing a virus (small pox, swine
                  flu etc).

                  Once that has been discovered, the currency on the street would be
                  completely useless.

                  bryan hutcheson
                  manifesto letterpress / industrie standard
                  4 open square way, L101
                  holyoke, ma 01040
                  p:413.532.3360
                  f:413.532.3387
                  www.manifestopress.com
                  _________________________________
                  full-service commercial letterpress
                  announcements
                  stationery
                  packaging
                  posters

                • Taylor Johnson
                  Message 8 of 27 , May 9, 2009
                    That's a great way to keep your advertising base happy! lol

                    Taylor Johnson Page Stationery, LLC 1146 Tricounty Drive Suite A Oilville, VA 23129 804.784.2277 p 804.784.2297 f www.pagestationery.com

                    And now some news from the world of cannibalistic enterprises:

                    Martha Stewart and Crane partnering with a line of letterpress

                    wedding stationery.

                    http://tinyurl. com/r84z34

                    --Scott

                    On May 8, 2009, at 6:21 PM, rdziesing wrote:

                    > We were doing a pretty brisk business on Etsy until the middle of

                    > March when the orders stopped dead. Crane's should do well selling

                    > paper for currency to the US Mint as they're just printing it up

                    > like mad.

                    > On the other hand, there's a story that the best counterfeiter ever

                    > stole some actual paper and was turning out excellent currency on

                    > his Heidelberg Tiegel.

                    > That's probably the only way you, or I, will see any stimulus money.

                    > The stimulus money is earmarked for the morons that got us into

                    > this mess to begin with.

                    > Just my opinion.

                    > Ha!

                  • Casey McGarr
                    Message 9 of 27 , May 9, 2009
                      My Cranes sales rep here in Dallas was laid off about a month ago.

                      My business has slowed down, however, I'm still getting calls for stationery, posters, and invitations.

                      I have noticed that the wood type on Ebay is still carrying a premium price so peopl still have a bit of money to spend.

                      Casey
                    • Lance Williams
                      Message 10 of 27 , May 9, 2009
                        Probably would not work in the modern economy, since printed money is
                        used less and less every day. Now that you can even purchase fast food
                        on a credit card, it is only a matter of time before we all have
                        electronic wallets that don't even have currency, just instant access to
                        our funds. Even welfare systems in most states have gone to a type of
                        debit card for money distributed...

                        But, we are digressing and getting off topic, so I think its best to
                        stop the discussion here... As a moderator of this
                        Group, I don't want to be pushing the rules too far myself <grin>.

                        - Lance Williams
                        Williams Stationery Co.
                        Camden, New York
                        APA #785

                        (Coming to you from the North Shore of O'ahu
                        Travel blog: http://hawaii.kadetstationery.com)

                        Message 11 of 27 , May 9, 2009
                          back to the topic, (which is not that far from printing m0n3y*,
                          actually, given the economic subject), perhaps a new Letterpress
                          Printers Assn marketing campaign is in order!

                          "Exercise ALL your senses! Letterpress, the way Nature intended..."

                          "Letterpress - Anything else just falls flat!"

                          "You deserve better than fast and flat: Letterpress printing - Good
                          for the Economy!"

                          Well, anyway....

                          * don't want the Sercet Srevice to get any idears...

                          On 9 May 2009, at 11:51 AM, Lance Williams wrote:

                          > Probably would not work in the modern economy, since printed money is
                          > used less and less every day. Now that you can even purchase fast
                          > food
                          > on a credit card, it is only a matter of time before we all have
                          > electronic wallets that don't even have currency, just instant
                          > access to
                          > our funds. Even welfare systems in most states have gone to a type of
                          > debit card for money distributed...
                          >
                          > But, we are digressing and getting off topic, so I think its best to
                          > stop the discussion here... As a moderator of this
                          > Group, I don't want to be pushing the rules too far myself <grin>.
                          >
                          > - Lance Williams
                          > Williams Stationery Co.
                          > Camden, New York
                          > APA #785
                          >
                          > (Coming to you from the North Shore of O'ahu
                          > Travel blog: http://hawaii.kadetstationery.com)

                          Peter Fraterdeus
                          Exquisite Letterpress
                          http://slowprint.com/
                        • Bryce Erickson
                          Message 12 of 27 , May 9, 2009
                            --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Lance Williams <lwwill7999@...> wrote:

                            > Probably would not work in the modern economy, since printed money is
                            > used less and less every day. Now that you can even purchase fast food
                            > on a credit card, it is only a matter of time before we all have
                            > electronic wallets that don't even have currency, just instant access to
                            > our funds. Even welfare systems in most states have gone to a type of
                            > debit card for money distributed...
                            >
                            > But, we are digressing and getting off topic, so I think its best to
                            > stop the discussion here... As a moderator of this
                            > Group, I don't want to be pushing the rules too far myself <grin>.
                            >
                            > - Lance Williams
                            > Williams Stationery Co.
                            > Camden, New York
                            > APA #785

                            Gerald,
                            Thank you for the new $1.00 bill counterfeit story. Wouldn't work here in Canada where $1.00 and $2.00 paper currency was abolished years ago. Any printer here aiming for self-sufficiency would have to start at $5.00.
                            And Lance, if one more digression can be tolerated (please and thank-you) let me repeat a posting that appeared on this site years ago: a printer had his operation set up in a rented garage. Grumpy landlord showed up and saw a nicely printed sign on the wall. It read "We make money the old fashioned way – we print it." The landlord called the FBI who showed up promptly. Printer had a lot of explaining to do. Moral of story: FBI has no sense of humor.

                            Bryce Erickson
                            Message 13 of 27 , May 9, 2009
                              Peter

                              Maybe better than sloganism, just tell it the way it is. You'll have much better clients.

                              > back to the topic, (which is not that far from printing m0n3y*,
                              > actually, given the economic subject), perhaps a new Letterpress
                              > Printers Assn marketing campaign is in order!
                              >
                              > "Exercise ALL your senses! Letterpress, the way Nature intended..."
                              >
                              > "Letterpress - Anything else just falls flat!"
                              >
                              > "You deserve better than fast and flat: Letterpress printing - Good
                              > for the Economy!"
                              >
                              > Well, anyway....

                              > * don't want the Sercet Srevice to get any idears...
                              >
                              > On 9 May 2009, at 11:51 AM, Lance Williams wrote:
                              >
                              > > Probably would not work in the modern economy, since printed money is
                              > > used less and less every day. Now that you can even purchase fast
                              > > food
                              > > on a credit card, it is only a matter of time before we all have
                              > > electronic wallets that don't even have currency, just instant
                              > > access to
                              > > our funds. Even welfare systems in most states have gone to a type of
                              > > debit card for money distributed...
                              > >
                              > > But, we are digressing and getting off topic, so I think its best to
                              > > stop the discussion here... As a moderator of this
                              > > Group, I don't want to be pushing the rules too far myself <grin>.
                              > >
                              > > - Lance Williams
                              > > Williams Stationery Co.
                              > > Camden, New York
                              > > APA #785
                              > >
                              > > (Coming to you from the North Shore of O'ahu
                              > > Travel blog: http://hawaii.kadetstationery.com)
                              >
                              > Peter Fraterdeus
                              > Exquisite Letterpress
                              > http://slowprint.com/

                            • Casey McGarr
                              Message 14 of 27 , May 10, 2009
                                I'll have to say that I print, "The Future of Printing" on my business card. Maybe someone will take me serious for once.

                                Casey McGarr
                                Inky Lips Letterpress
                                www.inkylipspress.com
                                Message 15 of 27 , May 10, 2009
                                  Oops, did I forget the smiley?

                                  ;-)

                                  On 9 May 2009, at 10:35 PM, Gerald Lange wrote:

                                  > Peter
                                  >
                                  > Maybe better than sloganism, just tell it the way it is. You'll have
                                  > much better clients.
                                  >
                                  > Gerald
                                  >
                                  > --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Peter Fraterdeus <peterf@...>
                                  > wrote:
                                  >>
                                  >> back to the topic, (which is not that far from printing m0n3y*,
                                  >> actually, given the economic subject), perhaps a new Letterpress
                                  >> Printers Assn marketing campaign is in order!
                                  >>
                                  >> "Exercise ALL your senses! Letterpress, the way Nature intended..."
                                  >>
                                  >> "Letterpress - Anything else just falls flat!"
                                  >>
                                  >> "You deserve better than fast and flat: Letterpress printing - Good
                                  >> for the Economy!"
                                  >>
                                  >> Well, anyway....

                                  Peter Fraterdeus
                                  Almost Free� Business Cards from Exquisite Letterpress
                                  http://slowprint.com/almostfreelp

                                  New! SlowPrint Newsletter!
                                  Signup: http://tinyurl.com/slowprint
                                  Current: http://slowprint.com/slowprintnl

                                • Barbara Hauser
                                  Message 16 of 27 , May 10, 2009
                                    I think those are very nice invites. I like the simplicity, especially the use of a postcard for the return. But with Martha as the progenitresse of the contemporary market for letterpress-printed wedding invitations, I suppose many young couples will now flock to the source instead of seeking out other printers.

                                    Barbara

                                    --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Scott Rubel <scott@...> wrote:

                                    > And now some news from the world of cannibalistic enterprises:
                                    >
                                    > Martha Stewart and Crane partnering with a line of letterpress
                                    > wedding stationery.
                                    >
                                    > http://tinyurl.com/r84z34
                                  • David Goodrich
                                    Message 17 of 27 , May 10, 2009
                                      Bryce,
                                      You left out a key point in the story. The printer had paid a tourist's
                                      visit to the U.S. Mint and purchased a souvenir sheet of about a dozen $20
                                      bills, printed on one side. He had this pinned up in his shop along with
                                      the sign, "We make money the old-fashioned way . . . we print it." The
                                      person whom I first heard the story from swears it's true.
                                      David

                                    • bon cook
                                      Message 18 of 27 , May 10, 2009
                                        Hello list
                                        I have a recently rescued from exile (in a basement for
                                        years and years) C&P Pilot
                                        6x10 old style that is missing a few parts. If
                                        anyone has any information where I could find these parts please let me know.

                                        It is missing
                                        one complete roller including trucks and stock
                                        There is no feed table bracket for the right side
                                        The left side has the feed table bracket but nothing else
                                        mounted to it
                                        There is no chase
                                        The chase hook on top is broken in half at the screw
                                        It is missing the lever key
                                        So far I think that’s it but I haven't finished examining it closely.

                                        The one roller that is attached will need to be recovered
                                        and I would appreciate any recommendations for where to send it and the type I
                                        might need.
                                        I’ll be printing with lead and wood type and linocuts.
                                        Thanks and all the best,Bon

                                      • Bryce Erickson
                                        Message 19 of 27 , May 10, 2009
                                          David,
                                          Thank you for improving my apparently failing memory. Your version is
                                          the correct one. It has been a long Winter with doors and windows
                                          tightly closed. The fumes must be getting to me.

                                          Bryce Erickson

                                          On May 10, 2009, at 1:36 PM, David Goodrich wrote:

                                          > Bryce,
                                          > You left out a key point in the story. The printer had paid a
                                          > tourist's
                                          > visit to the U.S. Mint and purchased a souvenir sheet of about a
                                          > dozen $20
                                          > bills, printed on one side. He had this pinned up in his shop along
                                          > with
                                          > the sign, "We make money the old-fashioned way . . . we print it." The
                                          > person whom I first heard the story from swears it's true.
                                          > David
                                          >

                                          > RECENT ACTIVITY
                                          > 5
                                          > New Members
                                          > Visit Your Group
                                          > Yahoo! Groups
                                          > Mom Power
                                          > Find wholesome recipes
                                          > and more. Go Moms Go!
                                          > Yahoo! Groups
                                          > Join people over 40
                                          > who are finding ways
                                          > to stay in shape.
                                          > Weight Management Group
                                          > on Yahoo!

                                        • Julie Larson
                                          Message 20 of 27 , May 13, 2009
                                            What, you haven't heard what residue is found on paper currency? Don't lick you fingers after handling it...

                                            ________________________________

                                            Message 21 of 27 , May 13, 2009
                                              Going back to the topic of the original post, I have found that wedding
                                              invitation orders have slowed considerably, but business card orders are way
                                              up - even though I have done nothing to promote that line of business.
                                              Probably a sign of the freelance or "gig" economy; everyone who has been
                                              laid off is having trouble finding jobs. Companies don't want to add
                                              permanent employees, but they do need to get things done on a contract
                                              basis. So the jobless professionals are looking for ways to land those
                                              freelance gigs on their own, and they need something to stand out from the
                                              crowd, like a nice letterpress business card.

                                              Let's not even get into the business card Youtube videos...

                                              Matt

                                            • alex brooks
                                              Message 22 of 27 , May 14, 2009
                                                > On May 9, 2009, at 12:51 PM, Lance Williams wrote:
                                                > it is only a matter of time before we all have
                                                > electronic wallets that don't even have currency, just instant
                                                > access to
                                                > our funds.

                                                Lance-
                                                Many people in Japan have been doing this for years now, with debit
                                                accounts attached to their cell phones. They can get use it at a
                                                subway turnstyle or pay at the cash register of a store. Very easy
                                                and convenient.

                                                One day the west will catch up.

                                                -alex
                                                press eight seventeen - lexington letterpress

                                              • Graham and Kathy
                                                Message 23 of 27 , May 14, 2009
                                                  Let's hope 'the west' doesn't. It seems to be tough enough getting money
                                                  back from the banks as things are. Giving them such unlimited access to the
                                                  income from my work seems a tad too foolish, no matter what some folks might
                                                  think is progress.

                                                  Graham Moss

                                                  "Just because it's been invented, doesn't mean it's good or that you have to
                                                  use it". Veronica Speedwell.

                                                  On 14/5/09 23:42, "alex brooks" <alex@...> wrote:

                                                  > Lance-
                                                  > Many people in Japan have been doing this for years now, with debit
                                                  > accounts attached to their cell phones. They can get use it at a
                                                  > subway turnstyle or pay at the cash register of a store. Very easy
                                                  > and convenient.
                                                  >
                                                  > One day the west will catch up.
                                                  >
                                                  > -alex
                                                  > press eight seventeen - lexington letterpress
                                                  >

                                                  >> On May 9, 2009, at 12:51 PM, Lance Williams wrote:
                                                  >> it is only a matter of time before we all have
                                                  >> electronic wallets that don't even have currency, just instant
                                                  >> access to
                                                  >> our funds.
                                                • alex brooks
                                                  Message 24 of 27 , May 18, 2009
                                                    On May 15, 2009, at 2:42 AM, Graham and Kathy wrote:
                                                    > Let's hope 'the west' doesn't. It seems to be tough enough getting
                                                    > money
                                                    > back from the banks as things are. Giving them such unlimited
                                                    > access to the income from my work seems a tad too foolish, no
                                                    > matter what some folks might think is progress.

                                                    Graham-
                                                    Will all respect, your thoughts here are a bit flawed. The bank has
                                                    no more access to your funds than if you had a simple debit card. You
                                                    put a certain amount of money in that acct, and you access it through
                                                    your cell. Instead of waiting in a line to buy a subway ticket with
                                                    your credit card, you just walk up to the turnstile, your phone
                                                    recognizes the turnstile, and you pay with a push of a button, then
                                                    go on your way.

                                                    It's also a somewhat misplaced criticism (mindlessly accepting tech
                                                    fads) of someone who makes a living restoring & printing with hundred
                                                    year old machines and binding books by hand.

                                                    Fritz gets mad at me because I don't have a checkbook, but that's
                                                    just our new world.

                                                    Cheers, Alex
                                                    press eight seventeen - lexington letterpress
                                                  • Incline Press
                                                    Message 25 of 27 , May 18, 2009
                                                      > Alex -
                                                      >
                                                      > I don¹t have a cell Alex, nor do I want/need one, which sort of seems to make
                                                      > this new system a bit flawed.
                                                      >
                                                      > I like cash. It¹s a system that has worked for a long time, and continues to
                                                      > work. I don¹t stand in line to buy a (subway) ticket; I get on the bus, pay
                                                      > the conductor, and all is well. What¹s wrong with that? What part of that
                                                      > needs changing? For what purpose? Anyway, what¹s wrong with standing in line
                                                      > all of a sudden? You save time? And what do you do with all those seconds and
                                                      > minutes you have saved, learn to be a clock watcher?
                                                      >
                                                      > Buying at a distance I can put a check in the mail, or send paper money.
                                                      > Rarely do I ever need instant money transfer, but even the debit card has a
                                                      > hard time accomplishing that, though it does enough of the job to fit that
                                                      > need.
                                                      >
                                                      > Let¹s try not to slavishly follow every new game that comes to town. ³Our new
                                                      > world² you say, who is the ³us² in that? No-one asked me! I¹m happier with our
                                                      > old world. I don¹t know why we got rid of the 20th century ­ this one¹s no
                                                      > improvement so far, just more change for the sake of it. What a waste!
                                                      >
                                                      > Graham

                                                      Graham Moss

                                                      Incline Press
                                                      36 Bow Street
                                                      Oldham OL1 1SJ England

                                                      http://www.inclinepress.com

                                                      > Graham-
                                                      > Will all respect, your thoughts here are a bit flawed. The bank has
                                                      > no more access to your funds than if you had a simple debit card. You
                                                      > put a certain amount of money in that acct, and you access it through
                                                      > your cell. Instead of waiting in a line to buy a subway ticket with
                                                      > your credit card, you just walk up to the turnstile, your phone
                                                      > recognizes the turnstile, and you pay with a push of a button, then
                                                      > go on your way.
                                                      >
                                                      > It's also a somewhat misplaced criticism (mindlessly accepting tech
                                                      > fads) of someone who makes a living restoring & printing with hundred
                                                      > year old machines and binding books by hand.
                                                      >
                                                      > Fritz gets mad at me because I don't have a checkbook, but that's
                                                      > just our new world.
                                                      >
                                                      > Cheers, Alex
                                                      > press eight seventeen - lexington letterpress
                                                      >

                                                      > Messages in this topic (25) Reply (via web post) | Start a new topic
                                                      > Messages | Files | Photo

                                                    • half.press
                                                      Message 26 of 27 , Feb 7, 2010
                                                        That reminds me of the famous complot to still Lincoln's body, to free Benjamin Boyd from jail and also cash ransom in the amount of two hundred thousand dollars. What would be that in 1876 ?

                                                        This guy, Boyd, got to be a master ! How daring this old fellas were.

                                                        But hey, after all, the cops got it right or was it a lucky day ?

                                                        Now folks, I am saying this because it would be a awesome novella. You can write if you like —if it is not already written.

                                                        First of all, counterfeiting currency is a job that doesn't pay. It is high crime against the state.

                                                        In the other hand how nice would be having a union job on the US Bureau of Engraving and Printing, these days.

                                                        That's a better idea.