Re: "learning how to use a metal backed polymer plate"

  • nashopolis
    Message 1 of 5 , May 1, 2009
      Thanks for the tips Dan

      The plate is slipping away from the feed table....further down the plate
      unfortunately for this job I can't reorient the paper and arrange the plate to have a rule stop, but it is a great idea for next time.

      Someone sent me a note suggesting another kind of tape, I'll try the suggestion of clear tape.

      Message 2 of 5 , May 1, 2009
        Hi Bryce

        Its been a while since I used a Patmag (I assume that is the type of base you are discussing here?) but a light spray of 3M's Super 77 Spray Adhesive to the back of the plate should work. Let it tack up a bit and put it on the base. When removed, this should not damage the base's magnetic rubber sheeting. The tape should be used for registration and to watch for travel rather than to hold the plate in position. I've not used such a plate/base combination for overly heavy impression though, but a lot of my clients do and seemingly with success.

        The plate's travel, based on your later post, is a bit odd, the plate would normally travel back toward the cylinder on a Vandercook. Something else going on with your rollers or packing?

        --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "nashopolis" <isleofprinting@...> wrote:

        > Howdy all
        >
        > I'm testing the waters of Photopolymer plates right now. I have been using Mag plates for the last 12 years. I am familiar with their strengths and weaknesses but I am in new territory now with the polymer plates.
        >
        > Background
        > I am borrowing a magnetic base and using a metal backed polymer plate. The client of course wants lots of deboss so the pressure is heavy. Using lettra stock. I am printing on a vandercook SP20.
        >
        > Problem
        > I am experiencing some plate creep/slippage on the plate that has almost total coverage. The pressure is forcing the plate to slip down the base as I run the project.
        > No problems on the plate with lighter coverage.
        >
        > I tried taping with artist tape around the edges of the plate to keep it in place but to no avail. I would try spray glue next but since the base is a loaner I don't want to gunk it up.
        >
        > Are there any fixes for this problem? Or common practices?
        > thanks
        >
        > Bryce McCloud
        > Isle of Printing

      • nashopolis
        Message 3 of 5 , May 4, 2009
          just wanted to say that Gerald's advice was spot on for my purposes.

          Gerald I read your post after the fact but it describes exactly what I did and I had no troubles with plate slippage.

          thanks for the tips everyone!

          Bryce