new to the list..."learning how to use a metal backed polymer plate"

  • nashopolis
    Message 1 of 5 , May 1, 2009
      Howdy all

      I'm testing the waters of Photopolymer plates right now. I have been using Mag plates for the last 12 years. I am familiar with their strengths and weaknesses but I am in new territory now with the polymer plates.

      Background
      I am borrowing a magnetic base and using a metal backed polymer plate. The client of course wants lots of deboss so the pressure is heavy. Using lettra stock. I am printing on a vandercook SP20.

      Problem
      I am experiencing some plate creep/slippage on the plate that has almost total coverage. The pressure is forcing the plate to slip down the base as I run the project.
      No problems on the plate with lighter coverage.

      I tried taping with artist tape around the edges of the plate to keep it in place but to no avail. I would try spray glue next but since the base is a loaner I don't want to gunk it up.

      Are there any fixes for this problem? Or common practices?
      thanks

      Bryce McCloud
      Isle of Printing
    • Dan Franklin
      Message 2 of 5 , May 1, 2009
        Bryce was wondering about this problem ...

        >I am printing on a vandercook SP20. I am experiencing some plate
        >creep/slippage on the plate that has almost total coverage. The
        >pressure is forcing the plate to slip down the base as I run the
        >project.

        I assume that by 'slip down the base' you mean that the plate slips
        toward the feed table of your SP20.

        1 - Make sure that the plate is cut squarely on the end toward the
        feed table (henceforth, forward end).

        2 - Position the forward end of the base at exactly the position of
        the forward end of the plate. (Because you can adjust the paper
        position on the Vandercook cylinder, the position of the base is not
        supercritical.)

        3 - Obtain a length of lead rule and, using an ordinary metal file,
        file off the 'printing' portion of the rule (the row of dots or line
        that prints). You now have a nonprinting rule that is slightly proud
        of the base.

        4 - Place the lead rule against the forward end of the base and lock
        the base in position.

        5 - Position the plate on the base.

        6 - Print print print.

        The lead rule will keep the plate from creeping forward as the
        cylinder moves over it, and the rule won't print because you've filed
        off the printing portion (unless you are trying to execute a very
        deep impression).

        Dan Franklin
        The Two Sisters Press
      • nashopolis
        Message 3 of 5 , May 1, 2009
          Thanks for the tips Dan

          The plate is slipping away from the feed table....further down the plate
          unfortunately for this job I can't reorient the paper and arrange the plate to have a rule stop, but it is a great idea for next time.

          Someone sent me a note suggesting another kind of tape, I'll try the suggestion of clear tape.

          Message 4 of 5 , May 1, 2009
            Hi Bryce

            Its been a while since I used a Patmag (I assume that is the type of base you are discussing here?) but a light spray of 3M's Super 77 Spray Adhesive to the back of the plate should work. Let it tack up a bit and put it on the base. When removed, this should not damage the base's magnetic rubber sheeting. The tape should be used for registration and to watch for travel rather than to hold the plate in position. I've not used such a plate/base combination for overly heavy impression though, but a lot of my clients do and seemingly with success.

            The plate's travel, based on your later post, is a bit odd, the plate would normally travel back toward the cylinder on a Vandercook. Something else going on with your rollers or packing?

            --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "nashopolis" <isleofprinting@...> wrote:

            > Howdy all
            >
            > I'm testing the waters of Photopolymer plates right now. I have been using Mag plates for the last 12 years. I am familiar with their strengths and weaknesses but I am in new territory now with the polymer plates.
            >
            > Background
            > I am borrowing a magnetic base and using a metal backed polymer plate. The client of course wants lots of deboss so the pressure is heavy. Using lettra stock. I am printing on a vandercook SP20.
            >
            > Problem
            > I am experiencing some plate creep/slippage on the plate that has almost total coverage. The pressure is forcing the plate to slip down the base as I run the project.
            > No problems on the plate with lighter coverage.
            >
            > I tried taping with artist tape around the edges of the plate to keep it in place but to no avail. I would try spray glue next but since the base is a loaner I don't want to gunk it up.
            >
            > Are there any fixes for this problem? Or common practices?
            > thanks
            >
            > Bryce McCloud
            > Isle of Printing

          • nashopolis
            Message 5 of 5 , May 4, 2009
              just wanted to say that Gerald's advice was spot on for my purposes.

              Gerald I read your post after the fact but it describes exactly what I did and I had no troubles with plate slippage.

              thanks for the tips everyone!

              Bryce