plate storage

  • Jill
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 27, 2009
      what is the best way to store pp plates? one plate in particular is of concern for me. it's a large half tone rectangle and after the first use, it has curled. so for this plate and for plates in general, what's the best way to store them? thanks!!
    • treester13
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 27, 2009
        i was told to store the plates in a ziplock plastic bag (or similar re-sealable bag) and blow into the bag before sealing. one theory is that the CO2 from your breath helps keep the plate stable. whether that's true or not, i'm not sure but i'll do it because i don't see harm in it.

        i don't know of an eco-friendly (non-plastic) ziplock bag so take that suggestion with a grain of salt. but at least for a little while, i consider a bit of my self-generated CO2 to be "sequestered". like "clean" coal. ;)

        btw, i have to give props to gerald for teaching the class that tidbit when i took his class at otis last semester.

        tristan

        --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Jill" <foofnik79@...> wrote:

        > what is the best way to store pp plates? one plate in particular is of concern for me. it's a large half tone rectangle and after the first use, it has curled. so for this plate and for plates in general, what's the best way to store them? thanks!!

      • Holcroft Letterpress
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 27, 2009
          Would appreciate any unique ideas on how to display wedding invite samples at Bridal Boutiques. Thanks, Ron Holcroft.

          i was told to store the plates in a ziplock plastic bag (or similar re-sealable bag) and blow into the bag before sealing. one theory is that the CO2 from your breath helps keep the plate stable. whether that's true or not, i'm not sure but i'll do it because i don't see harm in it.

          i don't know of an eco-friendly (non-plastic) ziplock bag so take that suggestion with a grain of salt. but at least for a little while, i consider a bit of my self-generated CO2 to be "sequestered". like "clean" coal. ;)

          btw, i have to give props to gerald for teaching the class that tidbit when i took his class at otis last semester.

          tristan

          --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Jill" <foofnik79@...> wrote:

          > what is the best way to store pp plates? one plate in particular is of concern for me. it's a large half tone rectangle and after the first use, it has curled. so for this plate and for plates in general, what's the best way to store them? thanks!!

        • Dave Allen
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 27, 2009
            Hey Tristan,
            It's more likely it's the reputation of printers being heavy drinkers
            that means the alcohol on their breath preserves itr! <grin>
            Dave

            treester13 wrote:
            > i was told to store the plates in a ziplock plastic bag (or similar re-sealable bag) and blow into the bag before sealing. one theory is that the CO2 from your breath helps keep the plate stable. whether that's true or not, i'm not sure but i'll do it because i don't see harm in it.
            >
            > i don't know of an eco-friendly (non-plastic) ziplock bag so take that suggestion with a grain of salt. but at least for a little while, i consider a bit of my self-generated CO2 to be "sequestered". like "clean" coal. ;)
            >
            > btw, i have to give props to gerald for teaching the class that tidbit when i took his class at otis last semester.
            >
            > tristan
            >

            > --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Jill" <foofnik79@...> wrote:
            >
            >> what is the best way to store pp plates? one plate in particular is of concern for me. it's a large half tone rectangle and after the first use, it has curled. so for this plate and for plates in general, what's the best way to store them? thanks!!

            840 Snowdrop Ave. Victoria BC V8Z 2N4
            (250)888-9380 http://www.Bookbinder.ca
          • treester13
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 27, 2009
              Dave,
              That was the other theory I'd considered but I didn't want to say anything until my grade from the class had posted... Grades, mineral (white, in Canada) spirits and printers don't mix.
              Tristan

              --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Dave Allen <canadian_bookbinder@...> wrote:

              > Hey Tristan,
              > It's more likely it's the reputation of printers being heavy drinkers
              > that means the alcohol on their breath preserves itr! <grin>
              > Dave
              >
              > treester13 wrote:
              > > i was told to store the plates in a ziplock plastic bag (or similar re-sealable bag) and blow into the bag before sealing. one theory is that the CO2 from your breath helps keep the plate stable. whether that's true or not, i'm not sure but i'll do it because i don't see harm in it.
              > >
              > > i don't know of an eco-friendly (non-plastic) ziplock bag so take that suggestion with a grain of salt. but at least for a little while, i consider a bit of my self-generated CO2 to be "sequestered". like "clean" coal. ;)
              > >
              > > btw, i have to give props to gerald for teaching the class that tidbit when i took his class at otis last semester.
              > >
              > > tristan
              > >

              > > --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Jill" <foofnik79@> wrote:
              > >
              > >> what is the best way to store pp plates? one plate in particular is of concern for me. it's a large half tone rectangle and after the first use, it has curled. so for this plate and for plates in general, what's the best way to store them? thanks!!
              > >>

              > --
              > Beddall Bookbinding Conservation & Restoration
              > 840 Snowdrop Ave. Victoria BC V8Z 2N4
              > (250)888-9380 http://www.Bookbinder.ca

            • rdziesing
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 28, 2009
                Keep them in plastic bags, sealed. When time to use them, put a piece of moist paper towel into the bag to raise the humidity. In most cases, they will flatten out nicely. Obviously, don't have the moist towell contact the plate front or back. It will take at least 24 hours of this high humidity atmosphere to bring them back.

                Eventually (couple years) they just seem to give up and have to be replaced.
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 28, 2009
                  If it is a polyester-backed plate with solid imaging, it is going to curl. No ifs, ands, or buts. It's the same problem you might incur in bookbinding, gluing a thick sheet to a thin sheet. It's a matter of natural stresses due to directional thickness.

                  In terms of plate storage in general, I have some information here:
                  http://bielerpressxi.blogspot.com/

                  Gerald

                  --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Jill" <foofnik79@...> wrote:

                  > what is the best way to store pp plates? one plate in particular is of concern for me. it's a large half tone rectangle and after the first use, it has curled. so for this plate and for plates in general, what's the best way to store them? thanks!!

                • BirdDog Press
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 29, 2009
                    I never post on this list b/c I receive it as a digest and get
                    overwhelmed with emails on the other Letpress list. But this is the
                    place to be for me as I am almost always printing with photopolymer!
                    So, hello!

                    Gerald, thank you for this resource. I didn't know you were such the
                    expert on photopolymer. Someday, when I am granted a big wish and get
                    my Vandercook, I'll be buying your little book for sure!

                    Off to printing on my C&P 8x12 NS now, it's been a TOUGH job for my
                    little press, but I'm going to win the battle today.

                    + + + + + + + + +
                    b i r d d o g p r e s s

                    Alli Bozeman Lyons, Colorado
                    *** APA #823 ***

                    etsy: http://theHandmaiden.etsy.com
                    flickr: http://flickr.com/photos/handmaiden/
                    twitter: http://twitter.com/birdmaiden
                    blog: http://blog.birddogpress.com
                    web: http://www.birddogpress.com

                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 30, 2009
                      Hi Alli

                      Thanks, but "photopolymer" isn't exactly rocket science, and is somewhat of a boring investigation.

                      I'd rather watch a good horror/sci fi movie.

                      Hello, and best of luck with your printing.