Re: Halftone Letterpress Poster

    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 13, 2009
      Ben

      I've run 150lpi for reproduction of watercolor images. Mainly to get as far away as possible from a perceptible dot pattern.

      I am wondering though what kind of processing machine you are using? These are unusual exposure/washout rates for Toyobo brand plates. I know exposure is completely dependent upon machine/bulbs/electrics but these seem abnormal to me (Toyobo recommends 14/15 as solid on the Stouffer scale for this plate) but the washout seems rather low. Does 2 minutes leave a clean floor to the plate? I push the exposure and washout to the extreme but I normally run 3 minute exposure, 3.5 minute washout for the KF/KM 95 plates. Any longer than that on exposure and letterform counters start filling. Washout at 3.5 leaves a clean floor with no undercutting, which is what one would want, I'd think. Something I don't know about this? Curious.

      --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "binarylevitz" <levitz@...> wrote:

      > Thanks Gerald, Yes, we did some testing strips before doing all the plates full size. Our typical exposure for KF95 plates is 5 minutes, with a 2 minute washout. For these plates we dialed the exposure back to 4.5 minutes with a tad less washout time. That seemed to help the finer values toward 20 percent hold better. A light value at 90 line screen is some delicate plate to wash!
      >
      > That said, I'm curious what methods others use for converting and exposing halftones. Any other tips?
      >
      > B»
      > Studio On Fire

    • binarylevitz
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 24, 2009
        Gerald,

        150lpi is really high. That is quite the challenge to try sometime.

        Our shop uses a Jet A2 machine. The KF95 material washes extremely quick, more so than any other materials we've used. And yes, 2-2.5 minutes does leave a clean floor on the washout. The material really dissolves fast. Even 10-15 seconds of extra wash time can make a big difference it terms of holding firmly fine isolated details.(hairline dotted rules, etc)

        studioonfire.com
        beastpieces.com

        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 24, 2009
          Hi Ben

          What is your bath temperature reading at these washout rates? Received a recent lot of KM152s that require an extraordinary long washout range. Don't know if this is an unannounced formula change or manufacturer's screwup, neither does the distributor. My A&V rep told me to pop up the temperature (Toyobo specs indicate otherwise). ?

          Gerald