Apologies for the Facebook Posting

  • Steve Robison
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 17, 2009
      (please accept the cross-posting of this apology since the original post was accidently sent to a variety of unintended group lists)

      To All,

      I had absolutely no intention of posting anything related to Facebook on any yahoogroup lists.

      Facebook has a feature that matches email addresses in the email address directory of your email with addresses in the facebook directory to see if anyone you know is already a member of facebook.

      I had not used this feature before, but thought I would try it to possibly find an old friend or two that way.

      As it turned out I ventured in where I should not have tread. Apparently I hit a button that I thought was going to find people who I would know on Facebook.

      Instead it sent a manufactured message to everyone I have in my entire email address directory, including all the yahoogroup addresses of groups to which I belong.

      Please know that those were not my words in the message you received, but a Facebook created message where they added my name to it!!!

      The posting said that I had photos to share and would they join Facebook to see them.

      Instead of just finding people I know and letting me decide whether to invite them to join Facebook or not, it sent a mass emailing to EVERYONE I KNOW!!!

      Also know that I did not intend to flood the yahoogroups I belong to with unrelated posts.

      To those who actually did join Facebook and who I did connect with, I appreciate you taking the time to do so, and I'm glad I was able to locate you--some after many, many years of disconnect.

      To those who wondered why I was sending such an unrelated post, I sincerely apologize. Please disregard the message and I assure you it will never ever happen again.

      I think Facebook has a place in the cyberworld for helping people communicate with friends and family, but I agree with several of you who commented that a lot of the bells and whistles on Facebook are completely useless and unnecessary to the purpose.

      Again, I sincerely apologize for the mishap and illustrates how wrong things can go with a person new to a process and when computers are involved!

      Best wishes,

      --Steve

      Steve Robison
      robisonsteve@...