Re: Question about Vandercook 4 roller cores

  • parallel_imp
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 11, 2009
      --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Bethany Carter <etsu4@...> wrote:

      > Are there different kinds or styles of these roller cores? My reason for asking is that I purchased a new set of cores (from Fritz) in order to have 2 sets of rollers. When I replaced my existing rollers with the new ones on the press today, all of a sudden the rollers would not turn as I traveled down the bed. The new cores do look different than my previous ones, an example of this difference would be that the new cores do not have the pin that retracts on the gear side of the form. Make any sense? Soooo, I put the old rollers back on and the form rollers turned again, just like magic. Any thoughts???

      Bethany, the pins are not part of the roller cores, any more than the gears, springs, etc. are. You need to take those parts off the old rollers and put them on the new rollers, unless you have enough parts for both sets of rollers. When you send in cores for recovering, you should remove all bearings, pins, gears etc. The roller company just can't be expected to save everything.
      If the new cores have the hole for the pin, then they are No. 4 cores; I don't think any other model uses that design. (If no hole for pin, they are something else.) There are often slight differences between cores made at different times, and I've seen pins that worked in one set of cores not work in another set because the pins were worn too short: had to get new pins then.
      --Eric Holub, SF
    • Bethany Carter
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 11, 2009
        Hi Eric,

        Well everyone has off days I guess; I have had my existing cores recovered before and removed all the extras you referred to, but honestly didn't realize that the pin at the end of the core came out. I'm not one to force things, and it seemed difficult to remove at first, so I just assumed it was there to stay. Since this was my first experience with brand new cores, I didn't know if they were the wrong ones or if it was missing something, etc. Anyway, problem solved, rollers are spinning, life is good again. Thank you so very much for the help!!!

        Very best,

        Bethany

        To: PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
        From: Megalonyx@...
        Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 22:24:16 +0000
        Subject: [PPLetterpress] Re: Question about Vandercook 4 roller cores

        --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Bethany Carter <etsu4@...> wrote:

        > Are there different kinds or styles of these roller cores? My reason for asking is that I purchased a new set of cores (from Fritz) in order to have 2 sets of rollers. When I replaced my existing rollers with the new ones on the press today, all of a sudden the rollers would not turn as I traveled down the bed. The new cores do look different than my previous ones, an example of this difference would be that the new cores do not have the pin that retracts on the gear side of the form. Make any sense? Soooo, I put the old rollers back on and the form rollers turned again, just like magic. Any thoughts???

        Bethany, the pins are not part of the roller cores, any more than the gears, springs, etc. are. You need to take those parts off the old rollers and put them on the new rollers, unless you have enough parts for both sets of rollers. When you send in cores for recovering, you should remove all bearings, pins, gears etc. The roller company just can't be expected to save everything.
        If the new cores have the hole for the pin, then they are No. 4 cores; I don't think any other model uses that design. (If no hole for pin, they are something else.) There are often slight differences between cores made at different times, and I've seen pins that worked in one set of cores not work in another set because the pins were worn too short: had to get new pins then.
        --Eric Holub, SF

      • Fritz Klinke
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 12, 2009
          Eric is correct about the pins--they don't come with the #4 core. The small slot in the new core that the threaded pin fits through may need a little filing to make everything slide properly.

          Fritz