Re: [PPLetterpress] Type Foundries - Directory update...

  • alex brooks
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 4, 2009
      yes, but Homeland Security can make traveling with metal type a pain
      in the ass. I know from experience, although, thankfully, they
      stopped before the full body search, which would have been an even
      bigger pain... I could just see me there, sitting in the little
      security box at Newark screaming about the First Amendment with my
      eyes bugging out as they snapped on the rubber gloves...

      -alex
      press eight seventeen - lexington letterpress

      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 4, 2009
        Alright, Ben Franklin.
        We've got procedures for troublemakers like you.

        :-)

        On 4 Mar 2009, at 11:07 PM, alex brooks wrote:

        > yes, but Homeland Security can make traveling with metal type a pain
        > in the ass. I know from experience, although, thankfully, they
        > stopped before the full body search, which would have been an even
        > bigger pain... I could just see me there, sitting in the little
        > security box at Newark screaming about the First Amendment with my
        > eyes bugging out as they snapped on the rubber gloves...
        >
        > -alex
        > press eight seventeen - lexington letterpress
      • Ph.D.
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 5, 2009
          I think it's a stretch to say that importing printing type
          is covered by the First Amendment. For many decades,
          there was a 25% duty on imported type (although
          there was no duty on matrices, as Congress wanted
          to encourage a domestic type founding industry).

          My experience in importing type has been that if the
          package is small enough to be shipped via postal
          service, it will arrive at your door without any duty
          or fees. But if it is heavy enough to have to come by
          UPS or other freight service, you'll get a letter saying
          that it has arrived, that it is with a customs broker
          (even if no duty is due). Then you'll have to work
          with the broker who'll charge you a fee to become a
          customer of theirs, then a fee to handle this transaction,
          and perhaps shipping charges and handling fees as
          well.

          --Ph. D.

          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 5, 2009
            On 5 Mar 2009, at 6:41 AM, Ph.D. wrote:

            > I think it's a stretch to say that importing printing type
            > is covered by the First Amendment. For many decades,
            > there was a 25% duty on imported type (although
            > there was no duty on matrices, as Congress wanted
            > to encourage a domestic type founding industry).

            Certainly, in the early days of the Republic, European type was very
            important, and it was not in the interests of the nation to erect
            barriers. The duty must have been added after lobbying by the
            foundries here. However, I think there is a precedent to the contrary.
            There is a First Amendment case regarding this issue, I'm sure I
            recall reading about it.

            Of course, it's all moot now.

            pF

            fraterdeus.com