Re: [PPLetterpress] platemaker maintenance

    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 15, 2002

      >gerald et al,
      >
      > thanks for your help. please clarify: at the end of the day, you
      >flush the system. but do you keep the tank empty til the next use, or do
      >you fill it immediately with clean water? our system gets much less use
      >than yours does, gerald, so it would sit empty for days. in our dry
      >climate, i worry that, left empty, the wooden brush bases would split.
      >also, left empty, i think the brush pattern would be damaged. what do you
      >think?
      >
      >brian

      Brian

      Yeah, I leave the tank empty until the next use. Didn't realize the
      Polimero had wooden bases. Splitting could be a concern, as well as
      warping I suspect. But sitting in water all the time can't be so good
      either (?). The brush pattern won't be damaged by drying out. Next time
      you fill it up with water the brushes will hydrate and you can slightly
      rub them with your hand to put them in order, if needed.

      Gerald
    • Joel Benson
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 15, 2002
        Well, I used a Polimero platemaker in a shop I worked in, and over a five year period we always kept water in there without apparent damage to the wooden brushes. I don't know for sure, but I would think it would be harder on the wood to go through a wetting-drying-wetting-drying cycle, rather than to just be wet all the time.

        Joel Benson
        Dependable Letterpress
        San Francisco

        > thanks for your help. please clarify: at the end of the day, you
        >flush the system. but do you keep the tank empty til the next use, or do
        >you fill it immediately with clean water? our system gets much less use
        >than yours does, gerald, so it would sit empty for days. in our dry
        >climate, i worry that, left empty, the wooden brush bases would split.
        >also, left empty, i think the brush pattern would be damaged. what do you
        >think?
        >
        >brian

        Brian

        Yeah, I leave the tank empty until the next use. Didn't realize the
        Polimero had wooden bases. Splitting could be a concern, as well as
        warping I suspect. But sitting in water all the time can't be so good
        either (?). The brush pattern won't be damaged by drying out. Next time
        you fill it up with water the brushes will hydrate and you can slightly
        rub them with your hand to put them in order, if needed.

        Gerald

        * To respond to a post or post a message to the membership:
        PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
        * Encountering problems? contact:
        PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com
        * To unsubscribe: