Re: [PPLetterpress] Type Foundries - Directory update...

    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 4, 2009
      On 4 Mar 2009, at 9:38 PM, Michael Babcock wrote:

      > This is a shame. Too many people doing "letterpress" with no
      > knowledge or use of letters to press. May be the wrong list for such
      > a statement.
      >
      > I contracted for a custom casting of 10 fonts of 36pt Columna from
      > Bauer a number of years ago for a very reasonable price with
      > shipping, no hassles at "the border".

      Not widely known is that US Customs and Congress are both forbidden
      from interfering with the import of printing types by....

      The First Amendment to the Constitution!

      Here's to Freedom of the Press!

      PF

      Peter Fraterdeus
      http://slowprint.com/

      New! SlowPrint Newsletter!
      Signup: http://tinyurl.com/slowprint
      Current: http://slowprint.com/slowprintnl
    • alex brooks
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 4, 2009
        yes, but Homeland Security can make traveling with metal type a pain
        in the ass. I know from experience, although, thankfully, they
        stopped before the full body search, which would have been an even
        bigger pain... I could just see me there, sitting in the little
        security box at Newark screaming about the First Amendment with my
        eyes bugging out as they snapped on the rubber gloves...

        -alex
        press eight seventeen - lexington letterpress

        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 4, 2009
          Alright, Ben Franklin.
          We've got procedures for troublemakers like you.

          :-)

          On 4 Mar 2009, at 11:07 PM, alex brooks wrote:

          > yes, but Homeland Security can make traveling with metal type a pain
          > in the ass. I know from experience, although, thankfully, they
          > stopped before the full body search, which would have been an even
          > bigger pain... I could just see me there, sitting in the little
          > security box at Newark screaming about the First Amendment with my
          > eyes bugging out as they snapped on the rubber gloves...
          >
          > -alex
          > press eight seventeen - lexington letterpress
        • Ph.D.
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 5, 2009
            I think it's a stretch to say that importing printing type
            is covered by the First Amendment. For many decades,
            there was a 25% duty on imported type (although
            there was no duty on matrices, as Congress wanted
            to encourage a domestic type founding industry).

            My experience in importing type has been that if the
            package is small enough to be shipped via postal
            service, it will arrive at your door without any duty
            or fees. But if it is heavy enough to have to come by
            UPS or other freight service, you'll get a letter saying
            that it has arrived, that it is with a customs broker
            (even if no duty is due). Then you'll have to work
            with the broker who'll charge you a fee to become a
            customer of theirs, then a fee to handle this transaction,
            and perhaps shipping charges and handling fees as
            well.

            --Ph. D.

            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 5, 2009
              On 5 Mar 2009, at 6:41 AM, Ph.D. wrote:

              > I think it's a stretch to say that importing printing type
              > is covered by the First Amendment. For many decades,
              > there was a 25% duty on imported type (although
              > there was no duty on matrices, as Congress wanted
              > to encourage a domestic type founding industry).

              Certainly, in the early days of the Republic, European type was very
              important, and it was not in the interests of the nation to erect
              barriers. The duty must have been added after lobbying by the
              foundries here. However, I think there is a precedent to the contrary.
              There is a First Amendment case regarding this issue, I'm sure I
              recall reading about it.

              Of course, it's all moot now.

              pF

              fraterdeus.com