Type Foundries - Directory update...

  • Michael Babcock
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 4 7:38 PM
      This is a shame. Too many people doing "letterpress" with no knowledge or use of letters to press. May be the wrong list for such a statement.

      I contracted for a custom casting of 10 fonts of 36pt Columna from Bauer a number of years ago for a very reasonable price with shipping, no hassles at "the border". I was just reading an article in the Fleuron about E.R. Weiss and thinking how lovely those Weiss ornaments are. Ahh well.

      I'm not sure S.S. D. Stempel is casting at the moment. I have a friend who was in Darmstadt last summer who reported back that the Haus fur Industrial Kultur (sic) was under renovation, and Gerstenberg's operation was on mothballs. I'd be happy to be incorrect, and happier to have the money to spend.

      --
      best, mjb
      interrobangletterpress.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 4 8:14 PM
        Michael

        There is a current discussion on digital type vs metal type (or some such heading, probably a couple of splinter threads by now) going on at Letpress. Yes, the Listserv is back up. The new Letpress site (archives) looks quite good (finally).

        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 4 8:23 PM
          On 4 Mar 2009, at 9:38 PM, Michael Babcock wrote:

          > This is a shame. Too many people doing "letterpress" with no
          > knowledge or use of letters to press. May be the wrong list for such
          > a statement.
          >
          > I contracted for a custom casting of 10 fonts of 36pt Columna from
          > Bauer a number of years ago for a very reasonable price with
          > shipping, no hassles at "the border".

          Not widely known is that US Customs and Congress are both forbidden
          from interfering with the import of printing types by....

          The First Amendment to the Constitution!

          Here's to Freedom of the Press!

          PF

          Peter Fraterdeus
          http://slowprint.com/

          New! SlowPrint Newsletter!
          Signup: http://tinyurl.com/slowprint
          Current: http://slowprint.com/slowprintnl
        • alex brooks
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 4 9:07 PM
            yes, but Homeland Security can make traveling with metal type a pain
            in the ass. I know from experience, although, thankfully, they
            stopped before the full body search, which would have been an even
            bigger pain... I could just see me there, sitting in the little
            security box at Newark screaming about the First Amendment with my
            eyes bugging out as they snapped on the rubber gloves...

            -alex
            press eight seventeen - lexington letterpress

            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 4 9:54 PM
              Alright, Ben Franklin.
              We've got procedures for troublemakers like you.

              :-)

              On 4 Mar 2009, at 11:07 PM, alex brooks wrote:

              > yes, but Homeland Security can make traveling with metal type a pain
              > in the ass. I know from experience, although, thankfully, they
              > stopped before the full body search, which would have been an even
              > bigger pain... I could just see me there, sitting in the little
              > security box at Newark screaming about the First Amendment with my
              > eyes bugging out as they snapped on the rubber gloves...
              >
              > -alex
              > press eight seventeen - lexington letterpress
            • Ph.D.
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 5 4:41 AM
                I think it's a stretch to say that importing printing type
                is covered by the First Amendment. For many decades,
                there was a 25% duty on imported type (although
                there was no duty on matrices, as Congress wanted
                to encourage a domestic type founding industry).

                My experience in importing type has been that if the
                package is small enough to be shipped via postal
                service, it will arrive at your door without any duty
                or fees. But if it is heavy enough to have to come by
                UPS or other freight service, you'll get a letter saying
                that it has arrived, that it is with a customs broker
                (even if no duty is due). Then you'll have to work
                with the broker who'll charge you a fee to become a
                customer of theirs, then a fee to handle this transaction,
                and perhaps shipping charges and handling fees as
                well.

                --Ph. D.

                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 5 9:24 AM
                  On 5 Mar 2009, at 6:41 AM, Ph.D. wrote:

                  > I think it's a stretch to say that importing printing type
                  > is covered by the First Amendment. For many decades,
                  > there was a 25% duty on imported type (although
                  > there was no duty on matrices, as Congress wanted
                  > to encourage a domestic type founding industry).

                  Certainly, in the early days of the Republic, European type was very
                  important, and it was not in the interests of the nation to erect
                  barriers. The duty must have been added after lobbying by the
                  foundries here. However, I think there is a precedent to the contrary.
                  There is a First Amendment case regarding this issue, I'm sure I
                  recall reading about it.

                  Of course, it's all moot now.

                  pF

                  fraterdeus.com