Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: U.S. type foundries

  • Graham and Kathy
    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 3, 2009
      Or better, which is the real point: Last type foundry using hard metal.

      Graham Moss

      Incline Press
      36 Bow Street
      Oldham OL1 1SJ England

      http://www.inclinepress.com

      On 1/3/09 15:04, "parallel_imp" <Megalonyx@...> wrote:

      > If Alex had said instead, "last type foundry using foundry casters"
      > that would be more accurate.
    • parallel_imp
      Message 2 of 18 , Mar 3, 2009
        --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Graham and Kathy
        <kwhalen.incline@...> wrote:

        > Or better, which is the real point: Last type foundry using hard metal.

        Graham, it isn't just a matter of typemetal. The temperature and
        pressure at which type is cast is just as important to the hardness of
        type, and thats why Thompson and Monotype casters don't produce the
        same quality as foundry casters. And it takes foundry mats to stand up
        to that casting environment, not the brass and aluminum mats made for
        Monotype equipment. One could ruin mats and machines by trying to make
        type harder than is normal for the equipment. But wherever any of
        these machines are used is still a type foundry.
        --Eric Holub, SF
      • Graham and Kathy
        Message 3 of 18 , Mar 3, 2009
          No, quite so, it isn't just a matter of the hardness of the metal that
          defines a foundry, but Dale Guild is still the last foundry in the US using
          hard metal. Count your blessings; there's none here.

          As a printer, I'd put hardness of the metal higher than any of the other
          physical attributes in any hierarchy of importance, assuming the face of the
          type wasn't full of bubbles that is!

          Graham Moss

          Incline Press
          36 Bow Street
          Oldham OL1 1SJ England

          http://www.inclinepress.com

        • typetom@aol.com
          Message 4 of 18 , Mar 3, 2009
            ...Last type foundry using hard metal.

            ...last type foundry using foundry casters

            A type foundry is a place where metal is melted and cast in a mold. The
            Monotype system can accurately be described as a complete type foundry.

            Claims of type founders regarding the hardness and quality of their type are
            notoriously suspect. Keystone claimed to be the inventors and sole makers of
            Nickel-Alloy Type. Barnhart Bros & Spindler made Superior Copper Mixed Type.
            The amount of those metals in type was probably negligible. Only a few
            foundries ever actually revealed the proportions of the various metals used in
            their type.

            Type metal varies from soft to hard, to brittle, depending on the relative
            quantities of lead, tin, and antimony. Considering just the inherent hardness
            of the metal, Dale Guild metal is essentially the same as type made from
            recycled ATF metal. So even the occasional casting done here at Denver Back Alley
            Type uses "hard metal." The type offered by Skyline type, also, is cast with
            hard metal, essentially identical to the metal used at Dale Guild.

            The key differences, besides the metal formula, are the casting machines
            involved and the knowledge and attention of the worker, and the protocols being
            followed such as casting speed and temperature and adjustments to the
            machinery. A Barth caster, and a Thompson caster for that matter, will make harder
            type than my antique Monotype because they cast with greater pressure. But I
            expect any type I cast will out-live me.

            While Stephenson Blake described itself as The Last of the Old English Type
            Founders, Mouldtype's monotype was The Best in Any Case. While MacKellar,
            Smiths & Jordan accurately claimed status as the Oldest American Type Foundry,
            anyone who casts type today might honorably be described as Successor to
            Gutenberg and Garamond.

            At Now It's Up To You, we cast type out of thin air.

            Tom Parson/ Now It's Up To You/ Denver Back Alley Type Foundry
            157 S Logan, Denver CO 80209
            (303) 777-8951
            (720) 480-5358 cellphone
            _typetom@..._ (mailto:typetom@...)