Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: U. S. Typefoundries

  • Matt Kelsey
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 2, 2009
      With information from Norman and from Robert Richardson in London, I tried
      to visit Bauer in Barcelona last summer. After contacting them in advance, I
      eventually received a message from Dr. Hartmann that they were no longer
      casting metal type. He said that they had a small stock of fonts remaining
      for sale, but could not mill them to .918. Further, they were closing for
      the month of August, and I was arriving late in the day on July 31st! So a
      visit was not possible even to see what remained available.

      Someone on the Letpress list reported that "I believe he still has a caster
      or two as friends of mine are going to Barcelona in October for some
      hands-on instruction but I am told most of the mats have gone." I had heard
      that most of the mats were transferred to the University of Barcelona some
      years ago, except for the most popular ones that they had continued to cast.

      Matt Kelsey

      On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 10:45 AM, Norman L McKnight <philoxenia@...