Digital Fonts for Photopolymer.

  • G0godzilla@roadrunner.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 2, 2009
      Hi List,
      Was I dreaming, or did I hear that Adobe carries a font that was designed for Letterpress?
      I know they have several that are designed to LOOK like letterpress, but I'm wondering if they have any that work particularly well for photopolymer.
      I know this has probably been covered so apologies in advance but I was looking through the archives and started to get crosseyed.
      Many thanks,
      Mackie Osborne
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 2, 2009
        Mackie

        There have been a few digital typefaces designed for letterpress use
        but there is only one that I know of that is available for purchase.
        That would be dfTYPE's Rialto. It is quite nice. Sets and prints very
        well.

        Adobe did have a Multiple Master Jenson that was configurable for
        letterpress. The prospectus for the typeface included a showing
        printed by Margery Cantor. But the Multiple Master fonts were
        discontinued when Adobe abandoned the Postscript Type 1 font format
        for OpenType. The Jenson Pro OT does not include the variant
        configuration for letterpress.

        With font editing software you can adjust existing fonts to function
        more appropriately in the letterpress environment. I adjusted Monotype
        Bell and it seems to have worked out quite well in a broadside I just
        printed.