Re: US Typefoundries

  • Norman L McKnight
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 2, 2009
      A resource not widely know, but one which I have noted here before,
      is at http://www.bleisetzer.de/cms/front_content.php This man is the
      translator & agent for D. Stempel & Bauer. You can have him do all of
      the work for you & have it done accurately (the casting man, Rainer
      Gerstenberg, is perhaps best approached in his native German). He is
      an excellent craftsman. I ordered seven fonts of 20 point Fruehling
      from him, milled to .918 & paid by PayPal. Everything went beautifully
      & the types were spectacular. There is no duty on metal printing
      types, but US Customs had a bit of a trial trying to classify the
      shipment. The cost overall was less than 2000.00. It is a lot, but it
      comes with the problem of having gotten into letterpress after most
      of the type foundries had closed their doors! They are now offering
      Codex from the Hass'isch Schriftgiesserei in Switzerland, whose
      matrices they hold, in 10, 20 & 24 point (drool) & also Jessenschrift
      by Rudolf Koch in 12 & 16 point. If nothing else you should visit the
      site I mentioned for the great pictures & he also sells used type
      from defunct type foundries. I got 36 Rhapsodie by Ilse Schule & 36
      point Liebing from a Leipzig foundry. Really nice stuff & reasonable;
      but they are NOT millalbe to .918, so I had to adjust for them.
      Fortunately they are display sizes & can be printed separately from
      the text, & the bed of my Vandercook 325GH has a removable plate
      that, thanks to the quick & able mind of Eric Holub, & with a slight
      underlay adjustment, does very nicely. I am trying to save to get a
      book font of 12 point Heraklit Greek by Hermann Zapf for which Hr.
      Gerstenberg assures me he has the matrices. I was able to supply him
      with the fonting scheme for Greek from the old Victoria foundry in
      Athens.

      Norman McKnight
      Philoxenia Press
      Berkeley