Re: U. S. Typefoundries

  • Norman L McKnight
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 2, 2009
      Fundicion Tipografica Bauer, Barcelona, is definitely out of business
      for casting metal types. They shut down sometime last year I believe.
      I refered someone on one of these Lists who contacted me as a "person
      of interest" regarding Bauer. They reported back that the foundry was
      no longer operating. They actually visited & found it closed. It is
      possible that some stock remains. It would be interesting to know the
      disposition of the archive & machinery. I do know that all casters
      over 36 point were given to the School of Graphic Arts, University
      of Barcelona. It is unknown to me what they do with them if anything
      or even if they have the space to contain the remaining material.
      This sounds like something for Darmstadt. The old Victoria type-
      foundry in Athens also shut down after their big earthquake a number
      of years ago. The foundry was "given away" to someone who later sold
      it to someone else. I had a contact in Athens do a search, calling
      everyone in the Athens directory of the relatively uncommon name, &
      found no one but lonely people who wanted to chat but knew nothing
      about printing types. There is a relatively small but active
      letterpress community active in Greece doing some interesting
      work; but the language is a barrier to Westerners, as it was for the
      vary active community in Czechoslovakia. I have a wonderful magazine
      supplement (Epta imeres: Seven Days) with considerable information
      about it, but alas, my Modern Greek is insufficient to get more than
      a taste of it. The magazine also did one on hand bookbinding, & they
      run about thirty pages of history & practice with great photos.

      Norman McKnight
      Philoxenia Press
      Berkeley
    • Matt Kelsey
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 2, 2009
        With information from Norman and from Robert Richardson in London, I tried
        to visit Bauer in Barcelona last summer. After contacting them in advance, I
        eventually received a message from Dr. Hartmann that they were no longer
        casting metal type. He said that they had a small stock of fonts remaining
        for sale, but could not mill them to .918. Further, they were closing for
        the month of August, and I was arriving late in the day on July 31st! So a
        visit was not possible even to see what remained available.

        Someone on the Letpress list reported that "I believe he still has a caster
        or two as friends of mine are going to Barcelona in October for some
        hands-on instruction but I am told most of the mats have gone." I had heard
        that most of the mats were transferred to the University of Barcelona some
        years ago, except for the most popular ones that they had continued to cast.

        Matt Kelsey

        On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 10:45 AM, Norman L McKnight <philoxenia@...