Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: US Type Foundries - Directory update...

    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 2, 2009
      Last I talked to Wolfgang Hartmann at Bauer (a couple of years ago), I
      think he indicated that they were not going to be keeping the casters
      hot.
      Between the energy costs and the shipping costs for the final product,
      it would be prohibitive to keep the things going all the time.

      They now have quite a nice collection of fonts, of course.

      Ciao

      PF

      On 2 Mar 2009, at 11:51 AM, Michael Babcock wrote:

      > Phil,
      >
      > Do we know this for fact? They manage NOT to mention the fact that
      > they can (could) on
      > their website.
      >
      > For what it's worth, Dan and Julia at Golgonooza own two of the
      > TFC / Castcraft Kucko's
      > but don't cast fonts for sale.
      >

      > --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Ph.D." <phil@...> wrote:
      >>
      >> Note that Fundicion Tipografica Bauer in Spain is
      >> no longer casting metal type.
      >>

      > --
      > best, mjb
      > interrobangletterpress.com
      > linotypesetting.com
      > flickr.com/photos/interrobang918/

      Peter Fraterdeus
      http://slowprint.com/
    • Paul
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 2, 2009
        Well if money is no object (sigh) the D. Stempel Typefoundry site is
        worth a visit. Being conversant in German also helps. Font schemes are
        different and pricing by weight is in Euros and Kilograms. But they will
        cut type to .918 and usually have sale typefaces at any given time which
        makes them "almost" affordable (not really) Click Angebot (special
        offer) - only 33 euros / kg.!!. And of course there is shipping. No Flat
        Rate boxes coming out of Germany that I know of. But a lot of nice faces
        ..

        http://www.schriftenservice-d-stempel.de/index.html

        Paul Alessini

        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 4, 2009
          This is a shame. Too many people doing "letterpress" with no knowledge or use of letters to press. May be the wrong list for such a statement.

          I contracted for a custom casting of 10 fonts of 36pt Columna from Bauer a number of years ago for a very reasonable price with shipping, no hassles at "the border". I was just reading an article in the Fleuron about E.R. Weiss and thinking how lovely those Weiss ornaments are. Ahh well.

          I'm not sure S.S. D. Stempel is casting at the moment. I have a friend who was in Darmstadt last summer who reported back that the Haus fur Industrial Kultur (sic) was under renovation, and Gerstenberg's operation was on mothballs. I'd be happy to be incorrect, and happier to have the money to spend.

          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 4, 2009
            Michael

            There is a current discussion on digital type vs metal type (or some such heading, probably a couple of splinter threads by now) going on at Letpress. Yes, the Listserv is back up. The new Letpress site (archives) looks quite good (finally).

            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 4, 2009
              On 4 Mar 2009, at 9:38 PM, Michael Babcock wrote:

              > This is a shame. Too many people doing "letterpress" with no
              > knowledge or use of letters to press. May be the wrong list for such
              > a statement.
              >
              > I contracted for a custom casting of 10 fonts of 36pt Columna from
              > Bauer a number of years ago for a very reasonable price with
              > shipping, no hassles at "the border".

              Not widely known is that US Customs and Congress are both forbidden
              from interfering with the import of printing types by....

              The First Amendment to the Constitution!

              Here's to Freedom of the Press!

              PF

              Peter Fraterdeus
              http://slowprint.com/

              New! SlowPrint Newsletter!
              Signup: http://tinyurl.com/slowprint
              Current: http://slowprint.com/slowprintnl
            • alex brooks
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 4, 2009
                yes, but Homeland Security can make traveling with metal type a pain
                in the ass. I know from experience, although, thankfully, they
                stopped before the full body search, which would have been an even
                bigger pain... I could just see me there, sitting in the little
                security box at Newark screaming about the First Amendment with my
                eyes bugging out as they snapped on the rubber gloves...

                -alex
                press eight seventeen - lexington letterpress

                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 4, 2009
                  Alright, Ben Franklin.
                  We've got procedures for troublemakers like you.

                  :-)

                  On 4 Mar 2009, at 11:07 PM, alex brooks wrote:

                  > yes, but Homeland Security can make traveling with metal type a pain
                  > in the ass. I know from experience, although, thankfully, they
                  > stopped before the full body search, which would have been an even
                  > bigger pain... I could just see me there, sitting in the little
                  > security box at Newark screaming about the First Amendment with my
                  > eyes bugging out as they snapped on the rubber gloves...
                  >
                  > -alex
                  > press eight seventeen - lexington letterpress
                • Ph.D.
                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 5, 2009
                    I think it's a stretch to say that importing printing type
                    is covered by the First Amendment. For many decades,
                    there was a 25% duty on imported type (although
                    there was no duty on matrices, as Congress wanted
                    to encourage a domestic type founding industry).

                    My experience in importing type has been that if the
                    package is small enough to be shipped via postal
                    service, it will arrive at your door without any duty
                    or fees. But if it is heavy enough to have to come by
                    UPS or other freight service, you'll get a letter saying
                    that it has arrived, that it is with a customs broker
                    (even if no duty is due). Then you'll have to work
                    with the broker who'll charge you a fee to become a
                    customer of theirs, then a fee to handle this transaction,
                    and perhaps shipping charges and handling fees as
                    well.

                    --Ph. D.

                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 5, 2009
                      On 5 Mar 2009, at 6:41 AM, Ph.D. wrote:

                      > I think it's a stretch to say that importing printing type
                      > is covered by the First Amendment. For many decades,
                      > there was a 25% duty on imported type (although
                      > there was no duty on matrices, as Congress wanted
                      > to encourage a domestic type founding industry).

                      Certainly, in the early days of the Republic, European type was very
                      important, and it was not in the interests of the nation to erect
                      barriers. The duty must have been added after lobbying by the
                      foundries here. However, I think there is a precedent to the contrary.
                      There is a First Amendment case regarding this issue, I'm sure I
                      recall reading about it.

                      Of course, it's all moot now.

                      pF

                      fraterdeus.com