RE: [PPLetterpress] Re: U.S. type foundries

  • Lance Williams
    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 1, 2009
      Well, I would for one.... But that is why I have Intertypes and Ludlows...
      Never have to worry about running out of type or bashing it into
      uselessness <grin>....

      - Lance Williams
      Williams Stationery Co.
      Camden, New York
      APA #785

    • Graham and Kathy
      Message 2 of 18 , Mar 3, 2009
        Or better, which is the real point: Last type foundry using hard metal.

        Graham Moss

        Incline Press
        36 Bow Street
        Oldham OL1 1SJ England

        http://www.inclinepress.com

        On 1/3/09 15:04, "parallel_imp" <Megalonyx@...> wrote:

        > If Alex had said instead, "last type foundry using foundry casters"
        > that would be more accurate.
      • parallel_imp
        Message 3 of 18 , Mar 3, 2009
          --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Graham and Kathy
          <kwhalen.incline@...> wrote:

          > Or better, which is the real point: Last type foundry using hard metal.

          Graham, it isn't just a matter of typemetal. The temperature and
          pressure at which type is cast is just as important to the hardness of
          type, and thats why Thompson and Monotype casters don't produce the
          same quality as foundry casters. And it takes foundry mats to stand up
          to that casting environment, not the brass and aluminum mats made for
          Monotype equipment. One could ruin mats and machines by trying to make
          type harder than is normal for the equipment. But wherever any of
          these machines are used is still a type foundry.
          --Eric Holub, SF
        • Graham and Kathy
          Message 4 of 18 , Mar 3, 2009
            No, quite so, it isn't just a matter of the hardness of the metal that
            defines a foundry, but Dale Guild is still the last foundry in the US using
            hard metal. Count your blessings; there's none here.

            As a printer, I'd put hardness of the metal higher than any of the other
            physical attributes in any hierarchy of importance, assuming the face of the
            type wasn't full of bubbles that is!

            Graham Moss

            Incline Press
            36 Bow Street
            Oldham OL1 1SJ England

            http://www.inclinepress.com

          • typetom@aol.com
            Message 5 of 18 , Mar 3, 2009
              ...Last type foundry using hard metal.

              ...last type foundry using foundry casters

              A type foundry is a place where metal is melted and cast in a mold. The
              Monotype system can accurately be described as a complete type foundry.

              Claims of type founders regarding the hardness and quality of their type are
              notoriously suspect. Keystone claimed to be the inventors and sole makers of
              Nickel-Alloy Type. Barnhart Bros & Spindler made Superior Copper Mixed Type.
              The amount of those metals in type was probably negligible. Only a few
              foundries ever actually revealed the proportions of the various metals used in
              their type.

              Type metal varies from soft to hard, to brittle, depending on the relative
              quantities of lead, tin, and antimony. Considering just the inherent hardness
              of the metal, Dale Guild metal is essentially the same as type made from
              recycled ATF metal. So even the occasional casting done here at Denver Back Alley
              Type uses "hard metal." The type offered by Skyline type, also, is cast with
              hard metal, essentially identical to the metal used at Dale Guild.

              The key differences, besides the metal formula, are the casting machines
              involved and the knowledge and attention of the worker, and the protocols being
              followed such as casting speed and temperature and adjustments to the
              machinery. A Barth caster, and a Thompson caster for that matter, will make harder
              type than my antique Monotype because they cast with greater pressure. But I
              expect any type I cast will out-live me.

              While Stephenson Blake described itself as The Last of the Old English Type
              Founders, Mouldtype's monotype was The Best in Any Case. While MacKellar,
              Smiths & Jordan accurately claimed status as the Oldest American Type Foundry,
              anyone who casts type today might honorably be described as Successor to
              Gutenberg and Garamond.

              At Now It's Up To You, we cast type out of thin air.

              Tom Parson/ Now It's Up To You/ Denver Back Alley Type Foundry
              157 S Logan, Denver CO 80209
              (303) 777-8951
              (720) 480-5358 cellphone
              _typetom@..._ (mailto:typetom@...)