Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: U.S. type foundries

  • jason@greenboathouse.com
    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 1 10:21 AM
      I'm currently looking, ideally, for a Thompson, but should anyone know of any working Monotype caster looking for a home where it will be put to good use, please let me know. I'm In BC (Canada), and thus this end of the continent would be preferable in terms of pick-up.

      Following in Jim Rimmer's path, my goal is to eventually find a Pantograph and to cast type both from Monotype matrices and also to produce new designs. A lofty goal, clearly, but I'd like to follow in the line of private presses using a house type (Kelmscott, Doves, etc.), and in turn to keep this tradition and practice alive.

      Jason Dewinetz
      Greenboathouse Press

      Message 2 of 18 , Mar 1 11:04 AM
        Don't forget Skyline Type!

        Monotype may be softer than Foundry type, but how many printers today
        will ever print enough to wear out even Monotype cast type?

        Mel
      • Lance Williams
        Message 3 of 18 , Mar 1 11:41 AM
          Well, I would for one.... But that is why I have Intertypes and Ludlows...
          Never have to worry about running out of type or bashing it into
          uselessness <grin>....

          - Lance Williams
          Williams Stationery Co.
          Camden, New York
          APA #785

        • Graham and Kathy
          Message 4 of 18 , Mar 3 5:05 AM
            Or better, which is the real point: Last type foundry using hard metal.

            Graham Moss

            Incline Press
            36 Bow Street
            Oldham OL1 1SJ England

            http://www.inclinepress.com

            On 1/3/09 15:04, "parallel_imp" <Megalonyx@...> wrote:

            > If Alex had said instead, "last type foundry using foundry casters"
            > that would be more accurate.
          • parallel_imp
            Message 5 of 18 , Mar 3 6:26 AM
              --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Graham and Kathy
              <kwhalen.incline@...> wrote:

              > Or better, which is the real point: Last type foundry using hard metal.

              Graham, it isn't just a matter of typemetal. The temperature and
              pressure at which type is cast is just as important to the hardness of
              type, and thats why Thompson and Monotype casters don't produce the
              same quality as foundry casters. And it takes foundry mats to stand up
              to that casting environment, not the brass and aluminum mats made for
              Monotype equipment. One could ruin mats and machines by trying to make
              type harder than is normal for the equipment. But wherever any of
              these machines are used is still a type foundry.
              --Eric Holub, SF
            • Graham and Kathy
              Message 6 of 18 , Mar 3 7:30 AM
                No, quite so, it isn't just a matter of the hardness of the metal that
                defines a foundry, but Dale Guild is still the last foundry in the US using
                hard metal. Count your blessings; there's none here.

                As a printer, I'd put hardness of the metal higher than any of the other
                physical attributes in any hierarchy of importance, assuming the face of the
                type wasn't full of bubbles that is!

                Graham Moss

                Incline Press
                36 Bow Street
                Oldham OL1 1SJ England

                http://www.inclinepress.com

              • typetom@aol.com
                Message 7 of 18 , Mar 3 11:26 AM
                  ...Last type foundry using hard metal.

                  ...last type foundry using foundry casters

                  A type foundry is a place where metal is melted and cast in a mold. The
                  Monotype system can accurately be described as a complete type foundry.

                  Claims of type founders regarding the hardness and quality of their type are
                  notoriously suspect. Keystone claimed to be the inventors and sole makers of
                  Nickel-Alloy Type. Barnhart Bros & Spindler made Superior Copper Mixed Type.
                  The amount of those metals in type was probably negligible. Only a few
                  foundries ever actually revealed the proportions of the various metals used in
                  their type.

                  Type metal varies from soft to hard, to brittle, depending on the relative
                  quantities of lead, tin, and antimony. Considering just the inherent hardness
                  of the metal, Dale Guild metal is essentially the same as type made from
                  recycled ATF metal. So even the occasional casting done here at Denver Back Alley
                  Type uses "hard metal." The type offered by Skyline type, also, is cast with
                  hard metal, essentially identical to the metal used at Dale Guild.

                  The key differences, besides the metal formula, are the casting machines
                  involved and the knowledge and attention of the worker, and the protocols being
                  followed such as casting speed and temperature and adjustments to the
                  machinery. A Barth caster, and a Thompson caster for that matter, will make harder
                  type than my antique Monotype because they cast with greater pressure. But I
                  expect any type I cast will out-live me.

                  While Stephenson Blake described itself as The Last of the Old English Type
                  Founders, Mouldtype's monotype was The Best in Any Case. While MacKellar,
                  Smiths & Jordan accurately claimed status as the Oldest American Type Foundry,
                  anyone who casts type today might honorably be described as Successor to
                  Gutenberg and Garamond.

                  At Now It's Up To You, we cast type out of thin air.

                  Tom Parson/ Now It's Up To You/ Denver Back Alley Type Foundry
                  157 S Logan, Denver CO 80209
                  (303) 777-8951
                  (720) 480-5358 cellphone
                  _typetom@..._ (mailto:typetom@...)