Combining illustrator and photoshop for polymer output.

  • thenest1
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 21, 2009
      So, I'm planning to have some plates made and I have some questions:
      I have part of the art drawn in photoshop using a tablet. The file was originally grayscale, but
      what was drawn was essentially black lines created with a hard brush tool. I then have type
      with a frame around it in illustrator. The frame was created using a pattern brush.
      My question is should I make the photoshop part of the file a bitmap and place it in
      illustrator to combine the two? (I tried live tracing it, but it puts in little hooks and artifacts
      that I didn't really like.) And are there any Issues with having the pattern brush output?

      Thanks for any words of advice.

      ~Wendy
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 21, 2009
        Wendy

        You will have to reduce the photoshop to a 1-bit (bitmap) TIFF and
        place it in Illustrator.

        I usually use the Threshold filter to control how the gray edge
        converts to black/white.
        Also, before converting your PS image, duplicate it! Then you can fall
        back easily to the original if the conversion is not as you'd like.

        good luck!

        Peter

        On 21 Feb 2009, at 11:09 AM, thenest1 wrote:

        > So, I'm planning to have some plates made and I have some questions:
        > I have part of the art drawn in photoshop using a tablet. The file
        > was originally grayscale, but
        > what was drawn was essentially black lines created with a hard brush
        > tool. I then have type
        > with a frame around it in illustrator. The frame was created using a
        > pattern brush.
        > My question is should I make the photoshop part of the file a bitmap
        > and place it in
        > illustrator to combine the two? (I tried live tracing it, but it
        > puts in little hooks and artifacts
        > that I didn't really like.) And are there any Issues with having the
        > pattern brush output?
        >
        > Thanks for any words of advice.
        >
        > ~Wendy

        Peter Fraterdeus
        Almost Freeā„¢ Business Cards from Exquisite Letterpress
        http://slowprint.com/almostfreelp

        New! SlowPrint Newsletter!
        Signup: http://tinyurl.com/slowprint
        Current: http://slowprint.com/slowprintnl