Press

  • Robert E Blesse
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 17, 2009
      I've been offered a Vandercook 219 Old Style, which was manufactured in
      1929. Does anyone have any pros/cons about this press? It is dismantled
      and in a warehouse Las Vegas; I was sent some photos of it and I think
      there may be some parts missing, but I'm not sure. Any feedback would be
      appreciated.

      Thanks.

      -- Bob

      Robert E. Blesse

      Director, The Black Rock Press

      Department of Art/224

      University of Nevada, Reno

      Reno, NV 89557

      775.682.5630 - office

      775.233.2546 - mobile

      775.784-6655 - fax

      blesse@...

      www.blackrockpress.org

    • Bill Whitley
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 17, 2009
        Bob,

        Are you familiar with Paul Moxon's vandercookpress.info site? You
        might post there as well.

        Bill Whitley

        On Feb 17, 2009, at 5:53 PM, Robert E Blesse wrote:

        > I've been offered a Vandercook 219 Old Style, which was manufactured
        > in
        > 1929. Does anyone have any pros/cons about this press? It is
        > dismantled
        > and in a warehouse Las Vegas; I was sent some photos of it and I think
        > there may be some parts missing, but I'm not sure. Any feedback
        > would be
        > appreciated.
        >
        > Thanks.
        >
        > -- Bob

        > Robert E. Blesse
        >
        > Director, The Black Rock Press
        > Department of Art/224
        > University of Nevada, Reno
        > Reno, NV 89557
        > 775.682.5630 - office
        > 775.233.2546 - mobile
        > 775.784-6655 - fax
        >
        > blesse@...
        >
        > www.blackrockpress.org

      • Blue Barnhouse
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 17, 2009
          I've printed on several 219s though never owned one. Great press, and
          the one I preferred when printing at the San Francisco Center for the
          Book. One I worked on had an adjustable bed, which I find a valuable
          option on my Universal I. As for missing parts, that may be a deal
          breaker. Parts are hard to come by, if available at all, and usually
          expensive. I replaced a bent elevator gear for more than $300. If you
          know which parts are missing, I'd give Fritz at NA Graphics a ring and
          see what he has available.

          Brandon Mise

          webstore: www.bluebarnhousestore.org

          blog: bluebarnhouse.blogspot.com

          website: www.bluebarnhouse.org

          photos: flickr.com/photos/bluebarnhouse/show/

          Blue Barnhouse
          428-B Haywood Rd.
          Asheville, NC 28806
          P: 828.225.3991
          F: 888-726-9257

          info@...
          www.bluebarnhouse.org

          On Feb 17, 2009, at 5:53 PM, Robert E Blesse wrote:

          > I've been offered a Vandercook 219 Old Style, which was manufactured
          > in
          > 1929. Does anyone have any pros/cons about this press? It is
          > dismantled
          > and in a warehouse Las Vegas; I was sent some photos of it and I think
          > there may be some parts missing, but I'm not sure. Any feedback
          > would be
          > appreciated.
          >
          > Thanks.
          >
          > -- Bob

          > Robert E. Blesse
          >
          > Director, The Black Rock Press
          >
          > Department of Art/224
          >
          > University of Nevada, Reno
          >
          > Reno, NV 89557
          >
          > 775.682.5630 - office
          >
          > 775.233.2546 - mobile
          >
          > 775.784-6655 - fax
          >
          > blesse@...
          >
          > www.blackrockpress.org

        • parallel_imp
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 17, 2009
            --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Robert E Blesse <blesse@...> wrote:

            > I've been offered a Vandercook 219 Old Style, which was manufactured
            > in 1929. Does anyone have any pros/cons about this press? It is
            > dismantled and in a warehouse Las Vegas; I was sent some photos of it
            > and I think there may be some parts missing, but I'm not sure.

            Bob, wear is always a concern on a press that is 80 years old. I've
            been asked to look at five 219 OS Vandercooks, and they ranged from
            fairly worn to fairly good. Even so, the owner of the worst press
            still did remarkably good work on it.
            The most obvious problem I've seen is wear in the "upper frame" or
            distributor roller assembly, and in the worm-and-crescent in its
            oscillator roller. The old style upper frame (twin peaks shaped
            cheeks) has rider rollers set directly in the cheek pieces, while the
            new style upper frame (rectangular cheeks) uses bronze bushings. You
            might have either type on the press, but bushings might need to be
            replaced in the new style, or retro-fitted into the old style. But if
            all three distributor rollers contact the form rollers consistantly,
            the upper frame is OK.
            --Eric Holub, SF
          • Bryan Hutcheson
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 18, 2009
              We have a 219 power that we run for large format work. Adjustable bed
              is a must. Great press.

              There are two categories of "Parts Missing"

              1) it's missing a side panel. Not a big deal.

              2) it's missing anything operation dependent.

              My rule of thumb has always been to stay away from anything that is
              "missing parts" unless the owner can give me a specific list of
              what's missing. If those parts are required for operation, then they
              need to provide me with a source to purchase the parts, and explain
              to me why they are missing in the first place.

              bryan hutcheson
              manifesto letterpress / industrie standard
              4 open square way - L101
              holyoke, ma 01040
              p:877.529.0009

              www.manifestopress.com