Re: Damaged fonts?

    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 6, 2009
      Eric

      I think ATM Deluxe was dropped with Classic (9.2x)? Linotype
      FontExplorer X is an absolute essential with OS X.

      I have the 9.2 and 9.2.1 and 9.2.2 upgrades if you need them. As I
      recall they have to be applied in sequence.

      --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "parallel_imp" <Megalonyx@...>
      wrote:

      > Thanks to all who responded on- and off-list. Following Peter's link
      I did purchase the OS 9
      > version of FontDoctor, still available. And it shows extensive font
      damage: much now
      > repaired, some to be reinstalled. The original fonts were installed
      onto one Quadra, then
      > moved as a group to other Macs and servers as workstations got
      upgraded, and I suppose
      > damage has multiplied over the years with every move (and every
      crash). It may not have
      > anything to do with ATM, which was actually under-reporting font
      damage considerably.
      > I did use manual installation and de-installation of fonts for a
      while in system 9, though in
      > systems 7 and 8, I used Suitcase. But increasingly customers have
      wanted pdf proofs, and for
      > me that means either testing the pdf on another machine, or
      deinstalling fonts used in order
      > to test whether fonts are properly embedded in the pdf, something I
      seldom get right on the
      > first attempt. A year ago I stumbled across ATM Deluxe, which made
      that simple, as did sets
      > for different jobs. Drat!
      > In the 9600s, 9.1 is the highest supported OS installation,
      though I think 9.2 is possible
      > with the patch Wish I Were. I guess I will try that. The version of
      ATM Deluxe I have is 4.6.1.
      > Your reference to ATM 4.6.2 is to the simple control panel ATM
      (light?) right?. But I will test

      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 6, 2009
        On 6 Feb 2009, at 1:11 PM, Gerald Lange wrote:

        > Eric
        >
        > I think ATM Deluxe was dropped with Classic (9.2x)? Linotype
        > FontExplorer X is an absolute essential with OS X.

        All I can say is thank goodness the Berlin Wall came down ;-)

        Without all the Russian and other Eastern-block programmers working on
        it, we'd still be in font hell.
        I don't actually know who did the engineering on FontExplorer, but it
        would not surprise me at all Linotype picked it up from an East German
        or Russian team. FontLab, of course, is 100% Russian in origin. Very
        nice guys, all around, regulars and now major sponsors of the annual
        ATypI conferences (this year in Mexico City! atypi.org)

        I expect that the concentration on math and science made for a
        generation of highly talented programmers.

        Somehow, there has never been another font management tool that comes
        anywhere close to FontExplorer.

        Cheers!

        peter

        Peter Fraterdeus
        Almost Freeā„¢ Business Cards from Exquisite Letterpress
        http://slowprint.com/almostfreelp

        New! SlowPrint Newsletter!
        Signup: http://tinyurl.com/slowprint
        Current: http://slowprint.com/slowprintnl