Re: Damaged fonts?

  • parallel_imp
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 6, 2009
      Thanks to all who responded on- and off-list. Following Peter's link I did purchase the OS 9
      version of FontDoctor, still available. And it shows extensive font damage: much now
      repaired, some to be reinstalled. The original fonts were installed onto one Quadra, then
      moved as a group to other Macs and servers as workstations got upgraded, and I suppose
      damage has multiplied over the years with every move (and every crash). It may not have
      anything to do with ATM, which was actually under-reporting font damage considerably.
      I did use manual installation and de-installation of fonts for a while in system 9, though in
      systems 7 and 8, I used Suitcase. But increasingly customers have wanted pdf proofs, and for
      me that means either testing the pdf on another machine, or deinstalling fonts used in order
      to test whether fonts are properly embedded in the pdf, something I seldom get right on the
      first attempt. A year ago I stumbled across ATM Deluxe, which made that simple, as did sets
      for different jobs. Drat!
      In the 9600s, 9.1 is the highest supported OS installation, though I think 9.2 is possible
      with the patch Wish I Were. I guess I will try that. The version of ATM Deluxe I have is 4.6.1.
      Your reference to ATM 4.6.2 is to the simple control panel ATM (light?) right?. But I will test
      ATM-D with a repaired font library and see what happens.
      Recently I was given a G5 with Linotype FontExplorer X on it. Any warnings about that?
      --Eric Holub, SF
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 6, 2009
        Eric

        I think ATM Deluxe was dropped with Classic (9.2x)? Linotype
        FontExplorer X is an absolute essential with OS X.

        I have the 9.2 and 9.2.1 and 9.2.2 upgrades if you need them. As I
        recall they have to be applied in sequence.

        --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "parallel_imp" <Megalonyx@...>

        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 6, 2009
          On 6 Feb 2009, at 1:11 PM, Gerald Lange wrote:

          > Eric
          >
          > I think ATM Deluxe was dropped with Classic (9.2x)? Linotype
          > FontExplorer X is an absolute essential with OS X.

          All I can say is thank goodness the Berlin Wall came down ;-)

          Without all the Russian and other Eastern-block programmers working on
          it, we'd still be in font hell.
          I don't actually know who did the engineering on FontExplorer, but it
          would not surprise me at all Linotype picked it up from an East German
          or Russian team. FontLab, of course, is 100% Russian in origin. Very
          nice guys, all around, regulars and now major sponsors of the annual
          ATypI conferences (this year in Mexico City! atypi.org)

          I expect that the concentration on math and science made for a
          generation of highly talented programmers.

          Somehow, there has never been another font management tool that comes
          anywhere close to FontExplorer.

          Cheers!

          peter

          Peter Fraterdeus
          Almost Freeā„¢ Business Cards from Exquisite Letterpress
          http://slowprint.com/almostfreelp

          New! SlowPrint Newsletter!
          Signup: http://tinyurl.com/slowprint
          Current: http://slowprint.com/slowprintnl