Re: Damaged fonts?

  • billousek
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 4, 2009
      Eric
      I believe the problem may lie in your ATM pref files.

      Were I in your shoes, I would try the following:

      First, rebuild your ATM pref files by deleting the AFM file and the
      ATM pref file located in your system preferences (IIRC, it's been some
      time since I used System 9).

      If that doesn't work, disable ATM and install problem fonts manually,
      one at a time. If this works, your ATM should be reinstalled.

      Bill

      --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "parallel_imp" <Megalonyx@...>
      wrote:

      > In System 9.1, using ATM Deluxe 4.6.1 for font management, many of
      my faces from
      > Monotype are now reported as "Damaged" (Baskerville, Bell, Bulmer,
      various Gill Sans, Van
      > Dijck, others). Even deleting the entire font list from ATM, and
      reinstalling the offending
      > fonts from their original floppies, and re-adding all my fonts to
      ATM, they are still reported
      > as damaged: some with bad outline fonts, some with bad FOND
      resources, etc. This is
      > happening on two diferent 9600s with G3 upgrades.
      > So, do I take these fonts to be truly damaged, or is it some
      anti-Monotype bias in ATM? I
      > had no problems with these same fonts in system 8 on the same
      computers, when font
      > management was by Suitcase 2.1.4, and many faces were successfully
      output to film.
      > --Eric Holub, SF

    • Bryan Hutcheson
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 4, 2009
        could it be that the fonts are just really old versions and the
        postscript isn't clean for your system 9 G3s ? (installed from
        floppies) fonts were notoriously difficult in os9 and versions were
        problematic...it wasn't rare for an entire library from a font
        company to stop working with old versions of ATM...maybe a simple
        patch is all you need... Did you try googling patches for os 9 ATM...

        I do recall atm was great but always had lots of bugs because things
        just were not that stable back then...fonts were always a
        nightmare... I doubt your fonts are corrupt since it's happening on
        two machines that are following the same platform standards... I have
        an old version of a lot of different os9 software and could probably
        dig up an old version of suticase or a diff version of ATM, which
        would probably be a good place to start....

        bryan hutcheson
        manifesto letterpress / industrie standard
        4 open square way - L101
        holyoke, ma 01040
        p:877.529.0009

        www.manifestopress.com
        _________________________________
        full-service commercial letterpress
        announcements
        stationery
        packaging
        posters

        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 6, 2009
          Eric

          I don't use OS 9 for an awful lot anymore but I do keep it around for
          some type modification related stuff. But it is getting more and more
          foreign to me.

          Generally trashing the preferences is the first thing you would trying
          OS 9. Is is possible for you to still upgrade to 9.2.2 and ATM 4.6.2a?
          These were very stable. I'd also recommend FontDoctor to try and fix
          the damaged fonts. The last version for OS 9x was 5.1 I believe. It
          will usually resolve any problems you would have. Weird that the
          output from one specific foundry would suddenly go bad. Any new
          additions to the OS (hard to imagine at this point) that might have
          occurred just previous to the problem?

          Is 4.6.1 ATM Deluxe? Get rid of it. You don't need ATM to manage the
          fonts. You need it but basically ignore it. Keep it simple. Never
          understood why folks feel the need to use font managers anyway. In OS
          9 just drop the font folders onto the System icon when you need them,
          remove them from the Fonts folder when you don't.

          wrote:

          > In System 9.1, using ATM Deluxe 4.6.1 for font management, many of
          my faces from
          > Monotype are now reported as "Damaged" (Baskerville, Bell, Bulmer,
          various Gill Sans, Van
          > Dijck, others). Even deleting the entire font list from ATM, and
          reinstalling the offending
          > fonts from their original floppies, and re-adding all my fonts to
          ATM, they are still reported
          > as damaged: some with bad outline fonts, some with bad FOND
          resources, etc. This is
          > happening on two diferent 9600s with G3 upgrades.
          > So, do I take these fonts to be truly damaged, or is it some
          anti-Monotype bias in ATM? I
          > had no problems with these same fonts in system 8 on the same
          computers, when font
          > management was by Suitcase 2.1.4, and many faces were successfully
          output to film.
          > --Eric Holub, SF

        • parallel_imp
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 6, 2009
            Thanks to all who responded on- and off-list. Following Peter's link I did purchase the OS 9
            version of FontDoctor, still available. And it shows extensive font damage: much now
            repaired, some to be reinstalled. The original fonts were installed onto one Quadra, then
            moved as a group to other Macs and servers as workstations got upgraded, and I suppose
            damage has multiplied over the years with every move (and every crash). It may not have
            anything to do with ATM, which was actually under-reporting font damage considerably.
            I did use manual installation and de-installation of fonts for a while in system 9, though in
            systems 7 and 8, I used Suitcase. But increasingly customers have wanted pdf proofs, and for
            me that means either testing the pdf on another machine, or deinstalling fonts used in order
            to test whether fonts are properly embedded in the pdf, something I seldom get right on the
            first attempt. A year ago I stumbled across ATM Deluxe, which made that simple, as did sets
            for different jobs. Drat!
            In the 9600s, 9.1 is the highest supported OS installation, though I think 9.2 is possible
            with the patch Wish I Were. I guess I will try that. The version of ATM Deluxe I have is 4.6.1.
            Your reference to ATM 4.6.2 is to the simple control panel ATM (light?) right?. But I will test
            ATM-D with a repaired font library and see what happens.
            Recently I was given a G5 with Linotype FontExplorer X on it. Any warnings about that?
            --Eric Holub, SF
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 6, 2009
              Eric

              I think ATM Deluxe was dropped with Classic (9.2x)? Linotype
              FontExplorer X is an absolute essential with OS X.

              I have the 9.2 and 9.2.1 and 9.2.2 upgrades if you need them. As I
              recall they have to be applied in sequence.

              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 6, 2009
                On 6 Feb 2009, at 1:11 PM, Gerald Lange wrote:

                > Eric
                >
                > I think ATM Deluxe was dropped with Classic (9.2x)? Linotype
                > FontExplorer X is an absolute essential with OS X.

                All I can say is thank goodness the Berlin Wall came down ;-)

                Without all the Russian and other Eastern-block programmers working on
                it, we'd still be in font hell.
                I don't actually know who did the engineering on FontExplorer, but it
                would not surprise me at all Linotype picked it up from an East German
                or Russian team. FontLab, of course, is 100% Russian in origin. Very
                nice guys, all around, regulars and now major sponsors of the annual
                ATypI conferences (this year in Mexico City! atypi.org)

                I expect that the concentration on math and science made for a
                generation of highly talented programmers.

                Somehow, there has never been another font management tool that comes
                anywhere close to FontExplorer.

                Cheers!

                peter

                Peter Fraterdeus
                Almost Freeā„¢ Business Cards from Exquisite Letterpress
                http://slowprint.com/almostfreelp

                New! SlowPrint Newsletter!
                Signup: http://tinyurl.com/slowprint
                Current: http://slowprint.com/slowprintnl