Damaged fonts?

  • parallel_imp
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 3, 2009
      In System 9.1, using ATM Deluxe 4.6.1 for font management, many of my faces from
      Monotype are now reported as "Damaged" (Baskerville, Bell, Bulmer, various Gill Sans, Van
      Dijck, others). Even deleting the entire font list from ATM, and reinstalling the offending
      fonts from their original floppies, and re-adding all my fonts to ATM, they are still reported
      as damaged: some with bad outline fonts, some with bad FOND resources, etc. This is
      happening on two diferent 9600s with G3 upgrades.
      So, do I take these fonts to be truly damaged, or is it some anti-Monotype bias in ATM? I
      had no problems with these same fonts in system 8 on the same computers, when font
      management was by Suitcase 2.1.4, and many faces were successfully output to film.
      --Eric Holub, SF
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 3, 2009
        Hi Eric.

        Hmmmm...

        It's been a LONG time since I've dealt with ATM and System 9 or below,
        but I know that font issues are among the most intractable...

        Not really sure what to suggest, other than Google "Mac os9 ATM font
        repair"

        there are a bunch of shareware/free/commercial utilities here, for
        instance...

        http://www.pure-mac.com/font.html#fontdoctor but most are for OS X and
        beyond.

        http://downloads.zdnet.com/Software/Graphic+Design+Software/Font+Tools

        I expect the fonts are fine, but there may well have been some
        difference in interpretation of some table between MT and Adobe, which
        was ignored in earlier versions of ATM, perhaps, but now becomes a
        showstopper.

        Wish I could be of more assistance!

        Cheers

        Peter

        On 3 Feb 2009, at 4:27 PM, parallel_imp wrote:

        > In System 9.1, using ATM Deluxe 4.6.1 for font management, many of
        > my faces from
        > Monotype are now reported as "Damaged" (Baskerville, Bell, Bulmer,
        > various Gill Sans, Van
        > Dijck, others). Even deleting the entire font list from ATM, and
        > reinstalling the offending
        > fonts from their original floppies, and re-adding all my fonts to
        > ATM, they are still reported
        > as damaged: some with bad outline fonts, some with bad FOND
        > resources, etc. This is
        > happening on two diferent 9600s with G3 upgrades.
        > So, do I take these fonts to be truly damaged, or is it some anti-
        > Monotype bias in ATM? I
        > had no problems with these same fonts in system 8 on the same
        > computers, when font
        > management was by Suitcase 2.1.4, and many faces were successfully
        > output to film.
        > --Eric Holub, SF

        Peter Fraterdeus
        Almost Free™ Business Cards from Exquisite Letterpress
        http://slowprint.com/almostfreelp

        New! SlowPrint Newsletter!
        Signup: http://tinyurl.com/slowprint
        Current: http://slowprint.com/slowprintnl
      • billousek
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 4, 2009
          Eric
          I believe the problem may lie in your ATM pref files.

          Were I in your shoes, I would try the following:

          First, rebuild your ATM pref files by deleting the AFM file and the
          ATM pref file located in your system preferences (IIRC, it's been some
          time since I used System 9).

          If that doesn't work, disable ATM and install problem fonts manually,
          one at a time. If this works, your ATM should be reinstalled.

          Bill

          --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "parallel_imp" <Megalonyx@...>
          wrote:

          > In System 9.1, using ATM Deluxe 4.6.1 for font management, many of
          my faces from
          > Monotype are now reported as "Damaged" (Baskerville, Bell, Bulmer,
          various Gill Sans, Van
          > Dijck, others). Even deleting the entire font list from ATM, and
          reinstalling the offending
          > fonts from their original floppies, and re-adding all my fonts to
          ATM, they are still reported
          > as damaged: some with bad outline fonts, some with bad FOND
          resources, etc. This is
          > happening on two diferent 9600s with G3 upgrades.
          > So, do I take these fonts to be truly damaged, or is it some
          anti-Monotype bias in ATM? I
          > had no problems with these same fonts in system 8 on the same
          computers, when font
          > management was by Suitcase 2.1.4, and many faces were successfully
          output to film.
          > --Eric Holub, SF

        • Bryan Hutcheson
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 4, 2009
            could it be that the fonts are just really old versions and the
            postscript isn't clean for your system 9 G3s ? (installed from
            floppies) fonts were notoriously difficult in os9 and versions were
            problematic...it wasn't rare for an entire library from a font
            company to stop working with old versions of ATM...maybe a simple
            patch is all you need... Did you try googling patches for os 9 ATM...

            I do recall atm was great but always had lots of bugs because things
            just were not that stable back then...fonts were always a
            nightmare... I doubt your fonts are corrupt since it's happening on
            two machines that are following the same platform standards... I have
            an old version of a lot of different os9 software and could probably
            dig up an old version of suticase or a diff version of ATM, which
            would probably be a good place to start....

            bryan hutcheson
            manifesto letterpress / industrie standard
            4 open square way - L101
            holyoke, ma 01040
            p:877.529.0009

            www.manifestopress.com
            _________________________________
            full-service commercial letterpress
            announcements
            stationery
            packaging
            posters

            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 6, 2009
              Eric

              I don't use OS 9 for an awful lot anymore but I do keep it around for
              some type modification related stuff. But it is getting more and more
              foreign to me.

              Generally trashing the preferences is the first thing you would trying
              OS 9. Is is possible for you to still upgrade to 9.2.2 and ATM 4.6.2a?
              These were very stable. I'd also recommend FontDoctor to try and fix
              the damaged fonts. The last version for OS 9x was 5.1 I believe. It
              will usually resolve any problems you would have. Weird that the
              output from one specific foundry would suddenly go bad. Any new
              additions to the OS (hard to imagine at this point) that might have
              occurred just previous to the problem?

              Is 4.6.1 ATM Deluxe? Get rid of it. You don't need ATM to manage the
              fonts. You need it but basically ignore it. Keep it simple. Never
              understood why folks feel the need to use font managers anyway. In OS
              9 just drop the font folders onto the System icon when you need them,
              remove them from the Fonts folder when you don't.

              wrote:

              > In System 9.1, using ATM Deluxe 4.6.1 for font management, many of
              my faces from
              > Monotype are now reported as "Damaged" (Baskerville, Bell, Bulmer,
              various Gill Sans, Van
              > Dijck, others). Even deleting the entire font list from ATM, and
              reinstalling the offending
              > fonts from their original floppies, and re-adding all my fonts to
              ATM, they are still reported
              > as damaged: some with bad outline fonts, some with bad FOND
              resources, etc. This is
              > happening on two diferent 9600s with G3 upgrades.
              > So, do I take these fonts to be truly damaged, or is it some
              anti-Monotype bias in ATM? I
              > had no problems with these same fonts in system 8 on the same
              computers, when font
              > management was by Suitcase 2.1.4, and many faces were successfully
              output to film.
              > --Eric Holub, SF

            • parallel_imp
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 6, 2009
                Thanks to all who responded on- and off-list. Following Peter's link I did purchase the OS 9
                version of FontDoctor, still available. And it shows extensive font damage: much now
                repaired, some to be reinstalled. The original fonts were installed onto one Quadra, then
                moved as a group to other Macs and servers as workstations got upgraded, and I suppose
                damage has multiplied over the years with every move (and every crash). It may not have
                anything to do with ATM, which was actually under-reporting font damage considerably.
                I did use manual installation and de-installation of fonts for a while in system 9, though in
                systems 7 and 8, I used Suitcase. But increasingly customers have wanted pdf proofs, and for
                me that means either testing the pdf on another machine, or deinstalling fonts used in order
                to test whether fonts are properly embedded in the pdf, something I seldom get right on the
                first attempt. A year ago I stumbled across ATM Deluxe, which made that simple, as did sets
                for different jobs. Drat!
                In the 9600s, 9.1 is the highest supported OS installation, though I think 9.2 is possible
                with the patch Wish I Were. I guess I will try that. The version of ATM Deluxe I have is 4.6.1.
                Your reference to ATM 4.6.2 is to the simple control panel ATM (light?) right?. But I will test
                ATM-D with a repaired font library and see what happens.
                Recently I was given a G5 with Linotype FontExplorer X on it. Any warnings about that?
                --Eric Holub, SF
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 6, 2009
                  Eric

                  I think ATM Deluxe was dropped with Classic (9.2x)? Linotype
                  FontExplorer X is an absolute essential with OS X.

                  I have the 9.2 and 9.2.1 and 9.2.2 upgrades if you need them. As I
                  recall they have to be applied in sequence.

                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 6, 2009
                    On 6 Feb 2009, at 1:11 PM, Gerald Lange wrote:

                    > Eric
                    >
                    > I think ATM Deluxe was dropped with Classic (9.2x)? Linotype
                    > FontExplorer X is an absolute essential with OS X.

                    All I can say is thank goodness the Berlin Wall came down ;-)

                    Without all the Russian and other Eastern-block programmers working on
                    it, we'd still be in font hell.
                    I don't actually know who did the engineering on FontExplorer, but it
                    would not surprise me at all Linotype picked it up from an East German
                    or Russian team. FontLab, of course, is 100% Russian in origin. Very
                    nice guys, all around, regulars and now major sponsors of the annual
                    ATypI conferences (this year in Mexico City! atypi.org)

                    I expect that the concentration on math and science made for a
                    generation of highly talented programmers.

                    Somehow, there has never been another font management tool that comes
                    anywhere close to FontExplorer.

                    Cheers!

                    peter