Re: First Impressions

  • Gary Johanson
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 2, 2009
      Aye, a bonnie thought indeed.

      I'm running a bit slack in the line art department as far as
      the Pearl goes. I see lot's of great cuts being used for the
      No. 3, probably original cuts. But I never seem to find a
      suitable image that would convert very readily into vector line
      art to have made into a plate. I'd really like to get one, tho.

      I've shot a few photos and ran them thru photoshop processors
      to come up with a high contrast line image that looks at least
      less than contemporary, but was never really satisfied. I'll
      best take a day off, and sit down at the drawing board with
      bristol board and india, and simply sketch out the press and
      use cross hatch shading or maybe a stipple inkover rendering,
      and send the artwork off and have a neg shot at 50 and 25%
      reduction on lithofilm & have somebody like Owosso etch directly
      from the negs. Man, not much chance of that happening before
      April, tho.

      Or maybe I'll find a king zinc cut of the Pearl on eBay! That
      would be great.

      Hmm, rollers & trucks would be good, too, huh?

      -gary

      --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "shapoffm" <shapoffm@...> wrote:

      > Yes intentional would be the word for it, the video is made of 6
      frames
      > per second stills shoot at camera RAW. The next time i get on
      press i
      > will shoot real 30 fps video, but i simply could only carry so much
      > with me on that 1st trip to set up the press.
      >
      > Wouldn't it be fun to circulate a 100th anniversary card for the
      pearl
      > and provide it in such a way that other Pearl owners could make
      plates
      > from it and print it too. Maybe we could collect specimens from
      many
      > Pearls around the world :)
      >
      > m@t
      >

      > --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Gary Johanson" <wd4nka@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Great presses, those No. 3s. Mine was mfg. in April of 1909, so
      it's
      > > coming up on it's 100th Birthday. I'll have to print a birthday
      card
      > > for it. :>)
      > >
      > > Video was very jumpy, it seemed not to track very smoothly. Is it
      > > supposed to be like that or is it a glitch? It seems to jump
      time.
      > > Good to see the old gals in operation!
      > >
      > > -gary
      > >

      > > --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "shapoffm" shapoffm@ wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hi all,
      > > >
      > > > i finally set up my 1895 Pearl #3 press this weekend, here's a
      > quick
      > > > video
      > > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?
      > > v=1wF4u5w4z_Y&feature=channel_page&fmt=18

    • shapoffm
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 2, 2009
        In This case of my logo, I used Standard Engraving for zinc
        engravings. The Art is a vector file from illustrator. It was sent to
        Standard via email and was made on 11 point zinc (it's about 1/8"
        thick) they are deep enough to pound the image in with the press.

        I was also advised i can also heat up the zinc and brand stuff with it.

        http://www.standardengraving.com/

        1134 W. Main St.
        Oklahoma City, OK 73106-7847