Re: First Impressions

  • Gary Johanson
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 1, 2009
      Great presses, those No. 3s. Mine was mfg. in April of 1909, so it's
      coming up on it's 100th Birthday. I'll have to print a birthday card
      for it. :>)

      Video was very jumpy, it seemed not to track very smoothly. Is it
      supposed to be like that or is it a glitch? It seems to jump time.
      Good to see the old gals in operation!

      -gary

      --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "shapoffm" <shapoffm@...> wrote:

      > Hi all,
      >
      > i finally set up my 1895 Pearl #3 press this weekend, here's a quick
      > video
      > http://www.youtube.com/watch?
      v=1wF4u5w4z_Y&feature=channel_page&fmt=18

    • shapoffm
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 1, 2009
        Yes intentional would be the word for it, the video is made of 6 frames
        per second stills shoot at camera RAW. The next time i get on press i
        will shoot real 30 fps video, but i simply could only carry so much
        with me on that 1st trip to set up the press.

        Wouldn't it be fun to circulate a 100th anniversary card for the pearl
        and provide it in such a way that other Pearl owners could make plates
        from it and print it too. Maybe we could collect specimens from many
        Pearls around the world :)

        m@t

        --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Gary Johanson" <wd4nka@...>

        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 2, 2009
          Aye, a bonnie thought indeed.

          I'm running a bit slack in the line art department as far as
          the Pearl goes. I see lot's of great cuts being used for the
          No. 3, probably original cuts. But I never seem to find a
          suitable image that would convert very readily into vector line
          art to have made into a plate. I'd really like to get one, tho.

          I've shot a few photos and ran them thru photoshop processors
          to come up with a high contrast line image that looks at least
          less than contemporary, but was never really satisfied. I'll
          best take a day off, and sit down at the drawing board with
          bristol board and india, and simply sketch out the press and
          use cross hatch shading or maybe a stipple inkover rendering,
          and send the artwork off and have a neg shot at 50 and 25%
          reduction on lithofilm & have somebody like Owosso etch directly
          from the negs. Man, not much chance of that happening before
          April, tho.

          Or maybe I'll find a king zinc cut of the Pearl on eBay! That
          would be great.

          Hmm, rollers & trucks would be good, too, huh?

          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 2, 2009
            In This case of my logo, I used Standard Engraving for zinc
            engravings. The Art is a vector file from illustrator. It was sent to
            Standard via email and was made on 11 point zinc (it's about 1/8"
            thick) they are deep enough to pound the image in with the press.

            I was also advised i can also heat up the zinc and brand stuff with it.

            http://www.standardengraving.com/

            1134 W. Main St.
            Oklahoma City, OK 73106-7847