Re: PDT4 [cross-post]

  • rternbach
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 31, 2009
      Great! Can you point me to a url where I can do a paypal purchase?

      Best regards,

      Rudy Ternbach
      South Hadley, MAsstts.

      --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Gerald Lange" <Bieler@...>
      wrote:

      > Copies of the fourth edition of Printing digital type on the
      > hand-operated flatbed cylinder press will ship beginning January
      30th.

      > http://bielerpressxi.blogspot.com/2006/07/printing-digital-type-on-
      hand-operated.html

      > Gerald

    • Elisabeth Long
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 2, 2009
        > Copies of the fourth edition of Printing digital type on the
        > hand-operated flatbed cylinder press will ship beginning January 30th.

        Gerald: Could you summarize what kind new information is in the latest
        edition. I have copy of I think the 2nd edition, and as you've
        released newer editions I've wondered how much I'm missing out on?

        Thanks
        -Elisabeth Long
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 2, 2009
          Elisabeth

          The second edition was a significant expansion beyond the first
          edition and is likely relevant to your needs. Though information
          regarding software, fonts, etc., is outdated.

          The sections on Troubleshooting photopolymer plates and
          Troubleshooting presswork are eliminated in the fourth edition. The
          section on Sources was eliminated from the third edition.

          Changed in the fourth edition are the Font Modification Sequences for
          Fontographer and FontLab Studio. They are now written for OS X.
          Previous editions, from the 2nd Revision (edition one) onward, had
          Font Modifications Sequences for earlier versions of the OS.

          The Examples of Font Modification was eliminated in edition four.

          PDT4 is a revised, corrected, updated, and slightly expanded version
          of PDT3. Added to it is a Section titled Notes on photopolymer plates
          and letterpress printing, which addresses some concerns regarding
          problems and cautions that have surfaced over the last several years.

          PDT has evolved as contemporary letterpress printing with the process
          has evolved over the last decade. Thus it is always in need of
          periodic revision.

          Note that Appendices eliminated from the later versions are available
          in the Files section here.

          Okay, way too much information, right?