First Impressions

  • shapoffm
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 28, 2009
      Hi all,

      i finally set up my 1895 Pearl #3 press this weekend, here's a quick
      video
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wF4u5w4z_Y&feature=channel_page&fmt=18
    • Gary Johanson
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 1, 2009
        Great presses, those No. 3s. Mine was mfg. in April of 1909, so it's
        coming up on it's 100th Birthday. I'll have to print a birthday card
        for it. :>)

        Video was very jumpy, it seemed not to track very smoothly. Is it
        supposed to be like that or is it a glitch? It seems to jump time.
        Good to see the old gals in operation!

        -gary

        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 1, 2009
          Yes intentional would be the word for it, the video is made of 6 frames
          per second stills shoot at camera RAW. The next time i get on press i
          will shoot real 30 fps video, but i simply could only carry so much
          with me on that 1st trip to set up the press.

          Wouldn't it be fun to circulate a 100th anniversary card for the pearl
          and provide it in such a way that other Pearl owners could make plates
          from it and print it too. Maybe we could collect specimens from many
          Pearls around the world :)

          m@t

          --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Gary Johanson" <wd4nka@...>

          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 2, 2009
            Aye, a bonnie thought indeed.

            I'm running a bit slack in the line art department as far as
            the Pearl goes. I see lot's of great cuts being used for the
            No. 3, probably original cuts. But I never seem to find a
            suitable image that would convert very readily into vector line
            art to have made into a plate. I'd really like to get one, tho.

            I've shot a few photos and ran them thru photoshop processors
            to come up with a high contrast line image that looks at least
            less than contemporary, but was never really satisfied. I'll
            best take a day off, and sit down at the drawing board with
            bristol board and india, and simply sketch out the press and
            use cross hatch shading or maybe a stipple inkover rendering,
            and send the artwork off and have a neg shot at 50 and 25%
            reduction on lithofilm & have somebody like Owosso etch directly
            from the negs. Man, not much chance of that happening before
            April, tho.

            Or maybe I'll find a king zinc cut of the Pearl on eBay! That
            would be great.

            Hmm, rollers & trucks would be good, too, huh?

            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 2, 2009
              In This case of my logo, I used Standard Engraving for zinc
              engravings. The Art is a vector file from illustrator. It was sent to
              Standard via email and was made on 11 point zinc (it's about 1/8"
              thick) they are deep enough to pound the image in with the press.

              I was also advised i can also heat up the zinc and brand stuff with it.

              http://www.standardengraving.com/

              1134 W. Main St.
              Oklahoma City, OK 73106-7847