Re: [PPLetterpress] Typography

    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 4, 2002
      At 3:23 PM +0100 2002-11-04, Andrew Brown wrote:

      >But Paul Watry is right: TeX is not only good, it will keep you away
      >from Quark, and that is an enormous advantage. Another advantage is
      >to be working with text files: if you need to run scores of greps in
      >fractions of a second you switch over into BBEdit and it's done.
      >Unless of course you are using a PC...

      Hi Andrew!

      And now comes the kicker:

      Typography IS, in fact (as you imply), a Document Structuring Process...

      The nice thing about InDesign is that it encourages this view...

      BBEdit is a great tool for structuring documents... (and TeX for rendering these)

      However,

      Typography is ALSO, in fact, a Visual Design Process...

      BBEdit doesn't help at all with the subtleties.

      Typography is both!

      A typographer needs to design the information structure before designing the appearance: separate style from content.

      PF

      At 3:23 PM +0100 2002-11-04, Andrew Brown wrote:
      > >It is the Rolls Royce of typesetting systems
      >
      >Just as the Porsche is held by some to be the Rolls Royce of motors
      >cars I would hold Miles 33 to be the Porsche of typesetting systems,
      >partly on the grounds that it costs vastly more than TeX and goes
      >much faster.
      >
      >But Paul Watry is right: TeX is not only good, it will keep you away
      >from Quark, and that is an enormous advantage. Another advantage is
      >to be working with text files: if you need to run scores of greps in
      >fractions of a second you switch over into BBEdit and it's done.
      >Unless of course you are using a PC...
      >
      >Andrew Brown (yes Paul, formerly of the black hole of Oxford)
    • Hrant H Papazian
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 5, 2002
        From: Peter Fraterdeus
        > Also, it's not exactly WSIWYG, eh?

        I personally have both ideological as well as practical problems
        with WYSIWYG. Sometimes I think it doesn't even really exist...

        -Hrant