Re: [PPLetterpress] Typography

  • Andrew Brown
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 4, 2002
      >It is the Rolls Royce of typesetting systems

      Just as the Porsche is held by some to be the Rolls Royce of motors
      cars I would hold Miles 33 to be the Porsche of typesetting systems,
      partly on the grounds that it costs vastly more than TeX and goes
      much faster.

      But Paul Watry is right: TeX is not only good, it will keep you away
      from Quark, and that is an enormous advantage. Another advantage is
      to be working with text files: if you need to run scores of greps in
      fractions of a second you switch over into BBEdit and it's done.
      Unless of course you are using a PC...

      Andrew Brown (yes Paul, formerly of the black hole of Oxford)
      --
      Centre international d'étude du XVIIIe siècle
      BP 44, 01212 Ferney-Voltaire cedex, France
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 4, 2002
        Hi

        >Also, it's not exactly WSIWYG, eh?

        It's actually anti-WSIWYG, but to me that is one of its strengths (much
        better typographic control). TeXtures has an "instant" preview mode, so
        you can see the output as you type in the input.

        But I am the first to say that it will take a very long time to get up
        to speed.

        Paul
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 4, 2002
          At 3:23 PM +0100 2002-11-04, Andrew Brown wrote:

          >But Paul Watry is right: TeX is not only good, it will keep you away
          >from Quark, and that is an enormous advantage. Another advantage is
          >to be working with text files: if you need to run scores of greps in
          >fractions of a second you switch over into BBEdit and it's done.
          >Unless of course you are using a PC...

          Hi Andrew!

          And now comes the kicker:

          Typography IS, in fact (as you imply), a Document Structuring Process...

          The nice thing about InDesign is that it encourages this view...

          BBEdit is a great tool for structuring documents... (and TeX for rendering these)

          However,

          Typography is ALSO, in fact, a Visual Design Process...

          BBEdit doesn't help at all with the subtleties.

          Typography is both!

          A typographer needs to design the information structure before designing the appearance: separate style from content.

          PF

          At 3:23 PM +0100 2002-11-04, Andrew Brown wrote:
          > >It is the Rolls Royce of typesetting systems
          >
          >Just as the Porsche is held by some to be the Rolls Royce of motors
          >cars I would hold Miles 33 to be the Porsche of typesetting systems,
          >partly on the grounds that it costs vastly more than TeX and goes
          >much faster.
          >
          >But Paul Watry is right: TeX is not only good, it will keep you away
          >from Quark, and that is an enormous advantage. Another advantage is
          >to be working with text files: if you need to run scores of greps in
          >fractions of a second you switch over into BBEdit and it's done.
          >Unless of course you are using a PC...
          >
          >Andrew Brown (yes Paul, formerly of the black hole of Oxford)
        • Hrant H Papazian
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 5, 2002
            From: Peter Fraterdeus
            > Also, it's not exactly WSIWYG, eh?

            I personally have both ideological as well as practical problems
            with WYSIWYG. Sometimes I think it doesn't even really exist...

            -Hrant