Re: [PPLetterpress] Book: The Art of Wood Type

  • Fritz Klinke
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 8, 2009
      Aside from a pretty website, I can't find basic information about this book,
      like number of pages, size, and type of binding. I guess I can send an
      inquiry to Gregg, but it seems odd this information is not given to start
      with.

      Fritz

      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 8, 2009
        It is paperback, about an inch thick and printed on heavy coated paper.

        It's filled with beautiful photography, but I confess to cringing at
        the wood type assemblages created by some of the collectors then used
        to hang on walls or serve as magazine covers, doors, etc. There is
        also something strange to me about wood type all cleaned, oiled up and
        arranged for photos--a sort of letterpress porn, perhaps, when you
        realize the "proofs" of the type on the left are actually created in
        Illustrator (reversed, blemishes removed, missing characters digitally
        rendered, perfectly reproduced in solid black). It's a whole different
        aesthetic than much of the wood type actually printed today that
        reveals the age of the substrate. I've seen folks like John Horn make
        gorgeous prints from his vintage wood type. I wonder how folks decide
        that their collection is just too valuable to actually use for printing?

        I'm also curious about a photo in the book of a composing stick filled
        with metal type. It is set perpendicular to the length of the stick
        without leading. Great photo, but I've never used a composing stick
        that way. There are descriptions of other kinds of printing surfaces--
        magnesium, woodcuts, etc. but no mention of photopolymer that I saw.

        No intent to discourage folks from buying the book, just some thoughts
        after looking through it last night....
        . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
        Jessica Spring
        http://www.springtidepress.com

        On Jan 8, 2009, at 7:28 AM, Fritz Klinke wrote:

        > Aside from a pretty website, I can't find basic information about
        > this book,
        > like number of pages, size, and type of binding. I guess I can send
        > an
        > inquiry to Gregg, but it seems odd this information is not given to
        > start
        > with.
        >
        > Fritz

      • David Goodrich
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 8, 2009
          The book measures 9" h x 9 1/4"w x 15/16" thick and is 320 pages, paperbound
          on thick coated stock, entirely in full color.

          I have to agree with Jessica about some of the contents. In addition, the
          graphic design is very modern, almost web-page style, which seems totally
          out of keeping with the wood type itself.

          But Greg includes a lot a valuable information. He also is to be
          complimented on including a number of faces which are not in Rob Roy Kelly.
          But there are some surprising omissions of fairly standard late nineteenth
          century faces, such as Egyptian Ornamented, perhaps the best-known purely
          wood type design. There is also very little discussion of the historical
          progression of type design throughout the period.

          It's a mixed bag but definitely worth getting.

          David

        • Austin Jones
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 8, 2009
            I think Jessica has pretty much stated my thoughts. It is a very pretty
            book. I am pleased to have it in my library. The author dedicates the book
            to Rob Roy Kelly. I think Kelly did a great job of presenting a history of
            Wood Type. Its purpose and use are well presented. I was a bit surprised
            that the author of this book took such a different approach in presenting
            Wood Type.

            I think this book is more intended to display the collections of Wood Type
            Collectors than a book dealing with Wood Type as we printers see it. The
            book by Kelly is much more definative and complete. All of the photographs
            are great and are well edited. There is nothing natural or real about this
            book. It presents a very artifical. East Coast Art Studio look at Wood Type.
            Certainly not the look of the wood type in my shop.

            If you enjoy Wood Type, by all means you will enjoy this book. I think the
            point here and what I read in Jessica's comments - know what you are
            getting. This is a Coffe Table book for all those friends and neighbors who
            wonder what all that stuff you collect is for. I would agree with Fritz -
            the website does not do a very good job of describing the book.

            Austin Jones
            prints by AJ
            austin@...
            http://printsbyaj.com