Book: The Art of Wood Type

    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 8, 2009
      http://theartofwoodtype.com/

      Greg Ruffa has done an extraordinary job to document and display the
      beauty of these wonderful old types.
      Full color wood-pr0n ;-)

      Order direct from Greg, as he has self-published the book, after four
      years of research, drawing on his own extensive collection of type as
      well as those of fellow collectors and lovers of wood type.

      Each of the faces is shown in a color photo of a full alphabet, as
      well as a lovingly rendered redrawing of the forms.
      That is, Greg has rendered each glyph in Illustrator, to show the
      design as it is conceived, as well as the physical type as artifacts.

      This book is a "must have" for anyone who shares Greg's love of these
      sometimes idiosyncratic, often stout, occasionally drop-dead gorgeous
      letters. "The Art of Wood Type" compliments and enhances Rob Roy
      Kelly's landmark "American Wood Type", now out of print (which can
      generally be found on abe.com, however).

      Highly Recommended. *****

      Peter Fraterdeus
      Almost Free™ Business Cards from Exquisite Letterpress
      http://slowprint.com/almostfreelp
    • Fritz Klinke
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 8, 2009
        Aside from a pretty website, I can't find basic information about this book,
        like number of pages, size, and type of binding. I guess I can send an
        inquiry to Gregg, but it seems odd this information is not given to start
        with.

        Fritz

        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 8, 2009
          It is paperback, about an inch thick and printed on heavy coated paper.

          It's filled with beautiful photography, but I confess to cringing at
          the wood type assemblages created by some of the collectors then used
          to hang on walls or serve as magazine covers, doors, etc. There is
          also something strange to me about wood type all cleaned, oiled up and
          arranged for photos--a sort of letterpress porn, perhaps, when you
          realize the "proofs" of the type on the left are actually created in
          Illustrator (reversed, blemishes removed, missing characters digitally
          rendered, perfectly reproduced in solid black). It's a whole different
          aesthetic than much of the wood type actually printed today that
          reveals the age of the substrate. I've seen folks like John Horn make
          gorgeous prints from his vintage wood type. I wonder how folks decide
          that their collection is just too valuable to actually use for printing?

          I'm also curious about a photo in the book of a composing stick filled
          with metal type. It is set perpendicular to the length of the stick
          without leading. Great photo, but I've never used a composing stick
          that way. There are descriptions of other kinds of printing surfaces--
          magnesium, woodcuts, etc. but no mention of photopolymer that I saw.

          No intent to discourage folks from buying the book, just some thoughts
          after looking through it last night....
          . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
          Jessica Spring
          http://www.springtidepress.com

          On Jan 8, 2009, at 7:28 AM, Fritz Klinke wrote:

          > Aside from a pretty website, I can't find basic information about
          > this book,
          > like number of pages, size, and type of binding. I guess I can send
          > an
          > inquiry to Gregg, but it seems odd this information is not given to
          > start
          > with.
          >
          > Fritz

        • David Goodrich
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 8, 2009
            The book measures 9" h x 9 1/4"w x 15/16" thick and is 320 pages, paperbound
            on thick coated stock, entirely in full color.

            I have to agree with Jessica about some of the contents. In addition, the
            graphic design is very modern, almost web-page style, which seems totally
            out of keeping with the wood type itself.

            But Greg includes a lot a valuable information. He also is to be
            complimented on including a number of faces which are not in Rob Roy Kelly.
            But there are some surprising omissions of fairly standard late nineteenth
            century faces, such as Egyptian Ornamented, perhaps the best-known purely
            wood type design. There is also very little discussion of the historical
            progression of type design throughout the period.

            It's a mixed bag but definitely worth getting.

            David

          • Austin Jones
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 8, 2009
              I think Jessica has pretty much stated my thoughts. It is a very pretty
              book. I am pleased to have it in my library. The author dedicates the book
              to Rob Roy Kelly. I think Kelly did a great job of presenting a history of
              Wood Type. Its purpose and use are well presented. I was a bit surprised
              that the author of this book took such a different approach in presenting
              Wood Type.

              I think this book is more intended to display the collections of Wood Type
              Collectors than a book dealing with Wood Type as we printers see it. The
              book by Kelly is much more definative and complete. All of the photographs
              are great and are well edited. There is nothing natural or real about this
              book. It presents a very artifical. East Coast Art Studio look at Wood Type.
              Certainly not the look of the wood type in my shop.

              If you enjoy Wood Type, by all means you will enjoy this book. I think the
              point here and what I read in Jessica's comments - know what you are
              getting. This is a Coffe Table book for all those friends and neighbors who
              wonder what all that stuff you collect is for. I would agree with Fritz -
              the website does not do a very good job of describing the book.

              Austin Jones
              prints by AJ
              austin@...
              http://printsbyaj.com