Re: Help with Pearl Old Style press...

    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 14, 2008
      Jason

      You might want to try the Briar Press Discussion List for this one:

      http://www.briarpress.org/discussion

    • jason@greenboathouse.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 14, 2008
        Hi Gerald,

        Yes, I posted there, but thought I'd see if anyone in these parts might be able to help as well.

        Jason

        You might want to try the Briar Press Discussion List for this one:

        http://www.briarpress.org/discussion

        --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Jason Dewinetz" <jason@...> wrote:

        > The college I work at has recently been donated a Pearl Old Style
        > press, very similar to the Old Style No. 3 on this page
        > (http://www.briarpress.org/museum/browse?page=1&t=4), but it's in
        > pieces and needs some serious work. I'm pretty good with Vandercooks,
        > but am not as familiar with platen presses. I don't suppose anyone out
        > there has a manual for something like this No. 3? Or, if not, perhaps
        > someone with one of these in-house could take a bunch of photos for me
        > to help me along?
        >
        > Any help much appreciated,
        >
        > Jason
        >
        > jason@...

      • Gary Johanson
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 18, 2008
          Jason, if you are still needing some Pearl restoration info,
          I took one fairly well apart earlier this year and degreased,
          cleaned and repainted it. It's an OS 7x11 Pearl, Steve Saxe
          pegged it to a mfg date of April of 1909, which matches the
          casting date, something you cannot always go by.

          You will have to go back to my April listings and work forward,
          I did this project by the littles as I had time, and photographed
          each step of the way. A lot of elbow grease, but she's an easy
          press to work with.

          Go to: http://www.gjohanson.blogspot.com

          Hope it proves helpful.

          -gary

          G. Johanson, Settlement Printer

        • jason@greenboathouse.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 18, 2008
            Hi Gary,

            Thanks so much for your post here, and I'm off to your blog now to explore. I've been in touch with Dan at the ARM stuido in Brooklyn, as he also restored a No. 3, but I'm sure I'll be contacting you in the new year when my students and I get to work on putting the press back to good condition.

            Jason