Help with Pearl Old Style press...

  • Jason Dewinetz
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 13, 2008
      The college I work at has recently been donated a Pearl Old Style
      press, very similar to the Old Style No. 3 on this page
      (http://www.briarpress.org/museum/browse?page=1&t=4), but it's in
      pieces and needs some serious work. I'm pretty good with Vandercooks,
      but am not as familiar with platen presses. I don't suppose anyone out
      there has a manual for something like this No. 3? Or, if not, perhaps
      someone with one of these in-house could take a bunch of photos for me
      to help me along?

      Any help much appreciated,

      Jason

      jason@...
    • George Chapman
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 14, 2008
        Mike Anton in St. Louis is the best "Pearl" man I know.

        --
        "I don't send email, I just speak to people . . . and it's amazing what you
        find out when you speak to a lot of people about . . . what's going on in

        George Chapman
        In the heart of the beautiful San Juan Mountains of Colorado at 9,318 feet.

        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 14, 2008
          Jason

          You might want to try the Briar Press Discussion List for this one:

          http://www.briarpress.org/discussion

        • jason@greenboathouse.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 14, 2008
            Hi Gerald,

            Yes, I posted there, but thought I'd see if anyone in these parts might be able to help as well.

            Jason

            You might want to try the Briar Press Discussion List for this one:

            http://www.briarpress.org/discussion

            --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Jason Dewinetz" <jason@...> wrote:

            > The college I work at has recently been donated a Pearl Old Style
            > press, very similar to the Old Style No. 3 on this page
            > (http://www.briarpress.org/museum/browse?page=1&t=4), but it's in
            > pieces and needs some serious work. I'm pretty good with Vandercooks,
            > but am not as familiar with platen presses. I don't suppose anyone out
            > there has a manual for something like this No. 3? Or, if not, perhaps
            > someone with one of these in-house could take a bunch of photos for me
            > to help me along?
            >
            > Any help much appreciated,
            >
            > Jason
            >
            > jason@...

          • Gary Johanson
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 18, 2008
              Jason, if you are still needing some Pearl restoration info,
              I took one fairly well apart earlier this year and degreased,
              cleaned and repainted it. It's an OS 7x11 Pearl, Steve Saxe
              pegged it to a mfg date of April of 1909, which matches the
              casting date, something you cannot always go by.

              You will have to go back to my April listings and work forward,
              I did this project by the littles as I had time, and photographed
              each step of the way. A lot of elbow grease, but she's an easy
              press to work with.

              Go to: http://www.gjohanson.blogspot.com

              Hope it proves helpful.

              -gary

              G. Johanson, Settlement Printer

            • jason@greenboathouse.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 18, 2008
                Hi Gary,

                Thanks so much for your post here, and I'm off to your blog now to explore. I've been in touch with Dan at the ARM stuido in Brooklyn, as he also restored a No. 3, but I'm sure I'll be contacting you in the new year when my students and I get to work on putting the press back to good condition.

                Jason