Typography

  • Casey McGarr
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 4, 2002
      I¹m sure you have had this book in your class but I go back to them
      occasionally::

      ³The New Typography² Jan Tschichold

      ³Jan Tschichold: typographer² by Ruari McLean
      ______________________________

      I also have many books by the Chronicle books publisher, a few dozen but
      here are a couple of my favorites,

      ³Over My Dead Body²
      ³May I Take Your Order²
      ³Cine Mexicano²
      ²Jackets Required²
      "Cover Story"

      All these look at past designs and are filled with the emotion that
      different type can express in communicating an idea.

      Regards
      ::
      Casey McGarr
      McGarr Creative
      http://www.mcgarrcreative.com/
    • Dr P.B. Watry
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 4, 2002
        Hello everyone

        I've been reading correspondence with interest. Regarding "best"
        typesetting software, no one can do better than TeX. It is the Rolls
        Royce of typesetting systems, it's free, works on anything, and it
        never, ever crashes. But it does take some skill to learn.

        For output for printing, you export it to Acrobat using pdfTeX,
        available on:

        http://www.tug.org/applications/pdftex/

        There are various commercial implementations of TeX/LaTeX. One which I
        have used in the past is TeXtures for the Macintosh available on
        www.bluesky.com (but try the demo first available from the web site).

        You can also compile the system yourself and run it on anything.

        If read/studied carefully, the TeX book (volume 1) can tell you a lot
        about typesetting. You can normally get it from any university library.

        Paul
      • Michael T Metz
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 4, 2002
          Paul:

          Thanks for bringing up TeX/LaTeX. I'm a user of LaTeX, (typeset
          my dissertation with it) and my question for you is have you
          found a good method of using non native fonts? There are
          macro packages for a few common faces, but I'd like to be
          able to go other places, print with new faces.

          Regards,
          Michael Metz

          I've been reading correspondence with interest. Regarding "best"
          typesetting software, no one can do better than TeX. It is the Rolls
          Royce of typesetting systems, it's free, works on anything, and it
          never, ever crashes. But it does take some skill to learn.

          For output for printing, you export it to Acrobat using pdfTeX,
          available on:

          http://www.tug.org/applications/pdftex/

          There are various commercial implementations of TeX/LaTeX. One which I
          have used in the past is TeXtures for the Macintosh available on
          www.bluesky.com (but try the demo first available from the web site).

          You can also compile the system yourself and run it on anything.

          If read/studied carefully, the TeX book (volume 1) can tell you a lot
          about typesetting. You can normally get it from any university library.

          Paul

           To respond to a post or post a message to the membership:
          PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
           Encountering problems? contact:
          PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com
           To unsubscribe:

        • Andrew Brown
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 4, 2002
            >It is the Rolls Royce of typesetting systems

            Just as the Porsche is held by some to be the Rolls Royce of motors
            cars I would hold Miles 33 to be the Porsche of typesetting systems,
            partly on the grounds that it costs vastly more than TeX and goes
            much faster.

            But Paul Watry is right: TeX is not only good, it will keep you away
            from Quark, and that is an enormous advantage. Another advantage is
            to be working with text files: if you need to run scores of greps in
            fractions of a second you switch over into BBEdit and it's done.
            Unless of course you are using a PC...

            Andrew Brown (yes Paul, formerly of the black hole of Oxford)
            --
            Centre international d'étude du XVIIIe siècle
            BP 44, 01212 Ferney-Voltaire cedex, France
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 4, 2002
              At 7:54 AM -0600 2002-11-04, Michael T Metz wrote:
              >Paul:
              >
              >Thanks for bringing up TeX/LaTeX. I'm a user of LaTeX, (typeset
              >my dissertation with it) and my question for you is have you
              >found a good method of using non native fonts? There are
              >macro packages for a few common faces, but I'd like to be
              >able to go other places, print with new faces.

              Yep. That's the rub.
              Also, it's not exactly WSIWYG, eh?

              PF

              >Regards,
              >Michael Metz

            • Dr P.B. Watry
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 4, 2002
                Michael

                I can tell you that it is pretty simple to use any PostScript font with
                TeXtures (a commercially available implementation for the Macintosh).
                You just type in \font\bookman=Bookman at 10pt (or equivalent) at the
                beginning of the document (provided the font is installed on your
                computer).

                If you need more information about use of PostScript fonts with TeX (but
                not using TeXtures), then I'll be happy to get it for you. Hope this
                helps.

                Paul
              • Dr P.B. Watry
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 4, 2002
                  Hi

                  >Also, it's not exactly WSIWYG, eh?

                  It's actually anti-WSIWYG, but to me that is one of its strengths (much
                  better typographic control). TeXtures has an "instant" preview mode, so
                  you can see the output as you type in the input.

                  But I am the first to say that it will take a very long time to get up
                  to speed.

                  Paul
                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 4, 2002
                    At 3:23 PM +0100 2002-11-04, Andrew Brown wrote:

                    >But Paul Watry is right: TeX is not only good, it will keep you away
                    >from Quark, and that is an enormous advantage. Another advantage is
                    >to be working with text files: if you need to run scores of greps in
                    >fractions of a second you switch over into BBEdit and it's done.
                    >Unless of course you are using a PC...

                    Hi Andrew!

                    And now comes the kicker:

                    Typography IS, in fact (as you imply), a Document Structuring Process...

                    The nice thing about InDesign is that it encourages this view...

                    BBEdit is a great tool for structuring documents... (and TeX for rendering these)

                    However,

                    Typography is ALSO, in fact, a Visual Design Process...

                    BBEdit doesn't help at all with the subtleties.

                    Typography is both!

                    A typographer needs to design the information structure before designing the appearance: separate style from content.

                    PF

                    At 3:23 PM +0100 2002-11-04, Andrew Brown wrote:
                    > >It is the Rolls Royce of typesetting systems
                    >
                    >Just as the Porsche is held by some to be the Rolls Royce of motors
                    >cars I would hold Miles 33 to be the Porsche of typesetting systems,
                    >partly on the grounds that it costs vastly more than TeX and goes
                    >much faster.
                    >
                    >But Paul Watry is right: TeX is not only good, it will keep you away
                    >from Quark, and that is an enormous advantage. Another advantage is
                    >to be working with text files: if you need to run scores of greps in
                    >fractions of a second you switch over into BBEdit and it's done.
                    >Unless of course you are using a PC...
                    >
                    >Andrew Brown (yes Paul, formerly of the black hole of Oxford)
                  • Hrant H Papazian
                    Message 9 of 9 , Nov 5, 2002
                      From: Peter Fraterdeus
                      > Also, it's not exactly WSIWYG, eh?

                      I personally have both ideological as well as practical problems
                      with WYSIWYG. Sometimes I think it doesn't even really exist...

                      -Hrant