Re: Altering fonts

    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 3, 2002
      --- In PPLetterpress@y..., Brian Allen <allenprinter@y...> wrote:
      > Gerald -
      > I expect you've been a little lucky. When you open the printer font
      file in
      > Fontographer the first time and then generate a new Mac font + bitmap
      > suitcase, a new FOND number is randomly generated. If you reopen
      that FOG
      > database file to make further alterations, Fontographer keeps that
      same FOND
      > ID when generating the new font files. This is where you might get
      fooled
      > and not see a change you thought you made.
      > Generally speaking, when a font is downloaded to an output device,
      the font
      > ID is checked. If a laser printer, say, already has something with that
      > number, theoretically it won't download a new font with the same ID
      and will
      > use the font data it had already cached. But with the level of
      complexity
      > now between operating systems, ATM, printer drivers, etc., it's hard
      to know
      > what goes on!
      > At work when I'm testing changes to PostScript fonts I reboot everything
      > between new installations, to be confident I am seeing the latest.
      (And I'm
      > using a specific FOND ID throughout the production cycle, so that's
      a reason
      > for continual rebooting.)
      > Brian Allen

      A long, long time ago a tech at Altsys told me never to regenerate
      from one of their database files so I've always just tossed them.
      Guess that was good advice.

      I note that FontLab constructs a ghost font during the entire process,
      somehow linking this with ATM (for the previews), and then dumps it
      when the font is saved.. I've been tossing their database files as
      well. Though I suspect one should start saving the AFM files as we
      move ever closer to current and forthcoming technologies. (?).