Re: [PPLetterpress] Hot metal type

  • Paul Aken
    Message 1 of 25 , Dec 10, 2008
      Many foil stampers and rubber stamp makers used to use Ludlow. It
      would depend on the amount of impressions. You can have 3 or 4 lines
      of the same thing cast.

      On Dec 10, 2008, at 9:54 AM, rgraphix214 wrote:

      > A customer of ours needs some hot metal type. I found a place in
      > San Francisco (M&H) that
      > does it, but is there somewhere in the midwest still doing it.
      >
      > The customer wants to use it for foil stamping. Does doing hot foil
      > stamping with lead type
      > make sense? We make hot foil stamping dies, but we treasure our
      > fingers too much to try
      > cutting out dies of individual letters/numbers at 12 pt.

    • Dave Allen
      Message 2 of 25 , Dec 10, 2008
        Have a look at http://www.fiveroses.org/stampingtype.htm
        Davis Rose has given a very good description of what will work for hot
        stamping.
        Dave Allen

        rgraphix214 wrote:
        > A customer of ours needs some hot metal type. I found a place in San Francisco (M&H) that
        > does it, but is there somewhere in the midwest still doing it.
        >
        > The customer wants to use it for foil stamping. Does doing hot foil stamping with lead type
        > make sense? We make hot foil stamping dies, but we treasure our fingers too much to try
        > cutting out dies of individual letters/numbers at 12 pt.

        840 Snowdrop Ave. Victoria BC V8Z 2N4
        (250)888-9380 http://www.Bookbinder.ca
      • Jan Kellett
        Message 3 of 25 , Dec 10, 2008
          You can use lead type for hot foil stamping, but you will ruin it for
          subsequent use in letterpress and it will not last very many
          stampings. The hardened foundry type lasts a little longer. Also you
          have to be very careful you don't have a melt-down. Brass type is
          pretty expensive, but a good investment if you are blocking book
          covers etc. and need to make just a single or few of one particular
          title. For repeated stampings of the same thing (image, logo, title or
          whatever) a metal die is best, either magnesium or copper. You can get
          a special double-sided adhesive tape to stick the die to a metal block
          to make it type high, for use in one of the old-fashioned blocking
          presses.
          Jan Kellett
        • nashopolis
          Message 4 of 25 , Dec 10, 2008
            --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "rgraphix214" <deystad@...> wrote:

            > A customer of ours needs some hot metal type. I found a place in San Francisco (M&H) that
            > does it, but is there somewhere in the midwest still doing it.
            >
            > The customer wants to use it for foil stamping. Does doing hot foil stamping with lead type
            > make sense? We make hot foil stamping dies, but we treasure our fingers too much to try
            > cutting out dies of individual letters/numbers at 12 pt.

            Howdy new to the group, all of the above info sounds right to me.

            Foil stamping will kill your lead type over time.
            That said Sky Shipley, who casts type, is in southern Illinois and a nice guy
            www.skylinetype.com

            good luck
          • Richard Kegler
            Message 5 of 25 , Dec 10, 2008
              Ludlow is still used for foil stamping. If it starts to wear down, just have
              a backup or two cast.

              We will be offering this as a service through the Western NY Book Arts
              Collaborative for people who want Ludlow lines cast.

              Our library is about 100 fonts right now:
              http://www.wnybookarts.org/ludlow.php

              Richard Kegler
              -----------------------------
              P22 type foundry, Inc.
              Not your typical type
              PO Box 770
              Buffalo, NY 14213
              http://www.p22.com
              Phone: 716-885-4490
              Fax: 716-885-4482
              -----------------------------
              Western NY Book Arts Collaborative
              http://www.wnybookarts.org

              Message 6 of 25 , Dec 10, 2008
                On 10 Dec 2008, at 6:11 PM, Richard Kegler wrote:

                > Ludlow is still used for foil stamping. If it starts to wear down,
                > just have
                > a backup or two cast.
                >
                > We will be offering this as a service through the Western NY Book Arts
                > Collaborative for people who want Ludlow lines cast.
                >
                > Our library is about 100 fonts right now:
                > http://www.wnybookarts.org/ludlow.php
                >
                > Richard Kegler
                > -----------------------------

                Richard--

                Bravo bravo ;-)

                I am so happy to see letterpress/book arts collectives popping up east
                of the Rockies!

                The Dubuque Book Arts Center (under construction) salutes you!!

                We don't do hot metal, although we (sadly) just had to pass on a whole
                shop full of ludlow stuff (near Minneapolis - we'll get the Heidelberg
                and the Miehle V45. Just couldn't manage the whole shebang)

                Our good friend and fellow traveler Tim Fay down in Anamosa produces
                his annual Wapsipinicon Almanac directly from Linotype metal (set and
                cast in his shop). (On a 20x26 two-color Miller Cylinder, no less).
                Highly recommended both for the type and the content, which is top-
                drawer... so to speak. There's a brand new issue out this week!

                http://wapsi-almanac.com

                BTW, Tim's also a photopolymer user, just to stay on topic

                PF

                Peter Fraterdeus
                Exquisite Letterpress
                http://slowprint.com

                New! SlowPrint Newsletter!
                Signup: http://tinyurl.com/slowprint
                Current: http://slowprint.com/slowprintnl
                Message 7 of 25 , Dec 10, 2008
                  Peter

                  :—) Just a note, photopolymer plates are also used for hot foil
                  stamping. Bunting makes a special base for this and the plates that
                  are designated for it are processed slightly differently. Just to say
                  PP is there as well, not exclusively metal!!!!

                • leorawest@yahoo.com
                  Message 8 of 25 , Dec 10, 2008
                    Whoa! And, huh? Tell us more!

                    Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

                    Message 9 of 25 , Dec 10, 2008
                      Leorawest

                      No one has ever said "whoa" and "huh" before but I thought this was
                      common knowledge for some many years now. I have had an occasional
                      inquiry about photopolymer plates for this purpose, and have gone
                      through the motions, but I think it is likely more for commercial
                      industrial practice, meaning, more expensive than existing metal
                      practice, at least, at the outlay. Photoengravers who belatedly caught
                      on to the concept of accepting digital files (as opposed to camera
                      ready) sort of make the advantages of this mute (I suspect?). At
                      least, as long as they are viable.

                      Gerald

                      --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, leorawest@... wrote:

                      > Whoa! And, huh? Tell us more!
                      >
                      > Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

                    • Scott Rubel
                      Message 10 of 25 , Dec 11, 2008
                        It may be common knowledge, but not to me. How does polymer stand up to
                        heat? I'm going to have to heat up one of my plates and see how it acts.
                        I would assume everything would get soft and sticky, but you know what
                        they say about assuming. --Scott

                      • rgraphix214
                        Message 11 of 25 , Dec 11, 2008
                          Thanks to all of you for taking the time to give your input. Very refreshing!

                          Several links were passed on to our customer. This was an educational process.

                          Dick

                          Message 12 of 25 , Dec 11, 2008
                            Scott

                            Photopolymer plates are available for hot foil stamping at up to 350
                            degrees F on an aluminum base. Bunting Magnetics supplies bases for
                            this purpose. Plates used in this type of application are mounted with
                            3M film adhesive to .010 tin plate. Bunting not only makes aluminum
                            bases, they also manufacture steel and zinc bases specifically for
                            combination hot foil stamping and diecutting operations.

                            I suspect standard plates configured for letterpress aren't quite
                            going to maintain their rigidity at this temperature.

                            --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Scott Rubel <scott@...> wrote:

                            > It may be common knowledge, but not to me. How does polymer stand up to
                            > heat? I'm going to have to heat up one of my plates and see how it
                            acts.
                            > I would assume everything would get soft and sticky, but you know what
                            > they say about assuming. --Scott
                            >
                            > Gerald Lange wrote:
                            > > Leorawest
                            > >
                            > > No one has ever said "whoa" and "huh" before but I thought this was
                            > > common knowledge for some many years now. I have had an occasional
                            > > inquiry about photopolymer plates for this purpose, and have gone
                            > > through the motions, but I think it is likely more for commercial
                            > > industrial practice, meaning, more expensive than existing metal
                            > > practice, at least, at the outlay. Photoengravers who belatedly caught
                            > > on to the concept of accepting digital files (as opposed to camera
                            > > ready) sort of make the advantages of this mute (I suspect?). At
                            > > least, as long as they are viable.
                            > >

                            > > Gerald
                            > >

                            > > --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, leorawest@ wrote:
                            > >
                            > >> Whoa! And, huh? Tell us more!
                            > >>
                            > >> Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

                          • amy borezo
                            Message 13 of 25 , Dec 11, 2008
                              Hello,

                              I have been buying metal type recently for foil stamping as well. Brass type
                              is the best for foil stamping, followed by service type, followed by foundry
                              type (And the prices follow the order of hardness!). Monotype is not usable
                              for foil stamping and distorts after one hit. The foundry type will hold up
                              well if care is given not to overheat or stamp too hard. The only foundry
                              type still being made that is hard enough for foil stamping, apparently, is
                              from Dale Guild Type Foundry which is also sold through NA Graphics. One can
                              also find foundry type that was made thirty years ago or more still in
                              unopened packages by foundries like ATF, Bauer and other european foundries
                              that are acceptable to use--but these seem to be more rare and you have to
                              hunt them down. I strongly suggest buying from NA Graphics!! You can
                              probably google 'service type' and find some suppliers--I don't know the
                              alloy for service type.

                              --
                              Amy Borezo
                              Shelter Bookworks

                            • Graham and Kathy
                              Message 14 of 25 , Dec 11, 2008
                                MAZAK was made for foil blocking - sounds like an acronym, but I don't know.

                                Graham Moss

                                On 11/12/08 20:07, "amy borezo" <aborezo@...> wrote:

                                > I don't know the
                                > alloy for service type.
                                >
                                > --
                                > Amy Borezo
                              • Graham and Kathy
                                Message 15 of 25 , Dec 11, 2008
                                  Should have done this first I guess!

                                  On 11/12/08 21:25, "Graham and Kathy" <kwhalen.incline@...> wrote:

                                  > MAZAK was made for foil blocking - sounds like an acronym, but I don't know.
                                  >

                                  > Graham Moss
                                  >

                                  > On 11/12/08 20:07, "amy borezo" <aborezo@...> wrote:
                                  >
                                  >> I don't know the
                                  >> alloy for service type.
                                  >>
                                  >> --
                                  >> Amy Borezo

                                • aborezo
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Dec 11, 2008
                                    It looks like service type was introduced by Ernest Schaefer to the
                                    bookbinding trade and is made from zinc.
                                    http://www.ernestschaeferinc.com/index.html

                                    They have a catalog of what is available on their website
                                    http://www.ernestschaeferinc.com/catalog_c269713.html. I find that the
                                    service type looks fairly dated. The foundry type from NA Graphics is
                                    more classic. The selection of brass type from P&S Engraving is
                                    heaven, but you must pay a high price to get there.

                                    amy

                                    --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Graham and Kathy
                                    <kwhalen.incline@...> wrote:

                                    > MAZAK was made for foil blocking - sounds like an acronym, but I
                                    don't know.

                                    > Graham Moss
                                    >

                                    > On 11/12/08 20:07, "amy borezo" <aborezo@...> wrote:
                                    >
                                    > > I don't know the
                                    > > alloy for service type.
                                    > >
                                    > > --
                                    > > Amy Borezo

                                  • Fritz Klinke
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Dec 11, 2008
                                      Service type is a new term to me, and I had not heard of the Schaefer line before. Service type may be a name these folks gave to zinc type and perhaps that is the same as Mazak type or Kingsley's zinc type that was cast exclusively by American Type Founders. Zinc will withstand the high temperatures needed for foil stamping. It is nasty stuff to cast and is hard on casting equipment and matrices. ATF was owned by Kingsley at its demise in 1993 and even into the late 1980s, ATF cast over a million dollars worth of zinc type a year for Kingsley. Separate mats were made for zinc service and the machines were strictly used for zinc only. Several of the surviving Barth machines from Kingsley are now owned by Greg Walters and the mats are held by Harold Bratter. All the ATF Kingsley material was held by the surviving Kingsley operation after the 1993 auction in Chicago, but was never put back into service. A fellow from Maine, Kevin Auer, contacted Kingsley and purchased all this and moved it to Maine, then ultimately sold it all to Bratter. One machine was almost converted to regular casting for 36 pt and was to have gone to the Dale Guild, but the work was not completed and Greg Walters has it now in Ohio. As far as I know, there is no genuine zinc type being cast by anyone, but the Schaefer product intrigues me.

                                      I have a bunch of new Kingsley/ATF type that I'm starting to list on the NA Graphics web site. This type should not be mixed with regular metal type as it is not the same height or point size because of the shrinkage characteristics of zinc vs. metal.

                                      Fritz

                                      Message 18 of 25 , Dec 12, 2008
                                        The Mazak type that I have was made by Stephenson Blake of Sheffield, last
                                        of the old type foundries, who closed down I guess about four years ago
                                        (time flies - it could be longer, but they were still casting to order in
                                        1999).
                                        One of the ways they stayed afloat for so long was by supplying type for the
                                        hot foilers. I don't know what faces they supplied, and only have a fount of
                                        24pt Modern No. 20, and that came to me by accident. I keep it in a case
                                        mixed with some of their regular foundry type. It was Howard Bratter who
                                        pointed out to me what it was, me not realizing, and told me that there was
                                        differential shrinkage on cooling between Mazak and regular foundry type,
                                        but it must be so minute as not to show in practical printing use, and I've
                                        not noticed low letters when printing or letters loose in the lock-up when
                                        lifting the chase. The only way I can tell the two castings apart is by the
                                        weight of the letters, the Mazak being noticeably lighter.

                                        I have done a bit of foiling for book titles, and personally I reckon
                                        foundry type is too precious to use that way, as eventually the weave of the
                                        cloth appeared in the face of the letters - instead I use 16g zinc blocks,
                                        made from a typeset original print.

                                        Graham Moss
                                        Incline Press
                                        36 Bow Street
                                        Oldham OL1 1SJ England
                                        http://www.inclinepress.com

                                        On 12/12/08 03:18, "Fritz Klinke" <nagraph@...> wrote:

                                        > Service type is a new term to me, and I had not heard of the Schaefer line
                                        > before. Service type may be a name these folks gave to zinc type and perhaps
                                        > that is the same as Mazak type or Kingsley's zinc type that was cast
                                        > exclusively by American Type Founders. Zinc will withstand the high
                                        > temperatures needed for foil stamping. It is nasty stuff to cast and is hard
                                        > on casting equipment and matrices. ATF was owned by Kingsley at its demise in
                                        > 1993 and even into the late 1980s, ATF cast over a million dollars worth of
                                        > zinc type a year for Kingsley. Separate mats were made for zinc service and
                                        > the machines were strictly used for zinc only. Several of the surviving Barth
                                        > machines from Kingsley are now owned by Greg Walters and the mats are held by
                                        > Harold Bratter. All the ATF Kingsley material was held by the surviving
                                        > Kingsley operation after the 1993 auction in Chicago, but was never put back
                                        > into service. A fellow from Maine, Kevin Auer, contacted Kingsley and
                                        > purchased all this and moved it to Maine, then ultimately sold it all to
                                        > Bratter. One machine was almost converted to regular casting for 36 pt and was
                                        > to have gone to the Dale Guild, but the work was not completed and Greg
                                        > Walters has it now in Ohio. As far as I know, there is no genuine zinc type
                                        > being cast by anyone, but the Schaefer product intrigues me.
                                        >
                                        > I have a bunch of new Kingsley/ATF type that I'm starting to list on the NA
                                        > Graphics web site. This type should not be mixed with regular metal type as it
                                        > is not the same height or point size because of the shrinkage characteristics
                                        > of zinc vs. metal.
                                        >
                                        > Fritz
                                      • aborezo
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Dec 12, 2008
                                          I think that bookbinders should be another market for foundry type. It
                                          seems to me that letterpress alone cannot sustain the production of
                                          the Dale Guild Foundry type. If Dale Guild ceases production, foundry
                                          type in the U.S. will certainly be too precious to use! :) In other
                                          words, if we don't use it then it will no longer be made. I fully
                                          recognize that bookbinders and letterpress printers together may not
                                          be enough to sustain production, but I don't think it is being
                                          marketed to bookbinders at this time, and perhaps it should be. Heck,
                                          maybe Talas should carry it!

                                          To purchase multiple fonts and sizes of brass type would be
                                          outrageously expensive, yet that variety is what one needs in a
                                          bindery. Foundry type offers the ability to get that variety
                                          affordably. In addition, it's not always preferable to make metal
                                          plates for projects. For example, I have about 70 labels I need to
                                          stamp and each one is different. It's so much easier to set type for
                                          this purpose. A ludlow would also be great, but I don't want to deal
                                          with a pot of molten lead in my studio. ;)

                                          I agree that some bookcloth will be too hard on foundry type. It would
                                          be best to use on paper and leather at moderate heat, I would think.
                                          Another drawback for using foundry type for hot foil is that it is
                                          usually not cut as deeply as brass type and, I think, service type.
                                          Another plus for foundry is the amount of letters you get in a
                                          set--much more than with brass or service.

                                          <kwhalen.incline@...> wrote:

                                          > The Mazak type that I have was made by Stephenson Blake of
                                          Sheffield, last
                                          > of the old type foundries, who closed down I guess about four years ago
                                          > (time flies - it could be longer, but they were still casting to
                                          order in
                                          > 1999).
                                          > One of the ways they stayed afloat for so long was by supplying type
                                          for the
                                          > hot foilers. I don't know what faces they supplied, and only have a
                                          fount of
                                          > 24pt Modern No. 20, and that came to me by accident. I keep it in a case
                                          > mixed with some of their regular foundry type. It was Howard Bratter who
                                          > pointed out to me what it was, me not realizing, and told me that
                                          there was
                                          > differential shrinkage on cooling between Mazak and regular foundry
                                          type,
                                          > but it must be so minute as not to show in practical printing use,
                                          and I've
                                          > not noticed low letters when printing or letters loose in the
                                          lock-up when
                                          > lifting the chase. The only way I can tell the two castings apart
                                          is by the
                                          > weight of the letters, the Mazak being noticeably lighter.
                                          >
                                          > I have done a bit of foiling for book titles, and personally I reckon
                                          > foundry type is too precious to use that way, as eventually the
                                          weave of the
                                          > cloth appeared in the face of the letters - instead I use 16g zinc
                                          blocks,
                                          > made from a typeset original print.
                                          >

                                          > Graham Moss
                                          > Incline Press
                                          > 36 Bow Street
                                          > Oldham OL1 1SJ England
                                          > http://www.inclinepress.com

                                        • Fritz Klinke
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Dec 12, 2008
                                            We have sold both Dale Guild type and from existing stocks of new ATF type to book binders, but I agree that it is an undeveloped type sales area. The hard metal formula of ATF type does well in many book operations. And many binders now use mag plates, even for single volumes, and pass the cost along to the client.

                                            For an interesting prcing schedule for monotype/Thompson cast type being sold to hot foil stamping people, take a look at the Howard Imprinting site. Some of these folks with Howard came from Kingsley and they aggressively market their machines, but steer clear of printers.

                                            Fritz