Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: Altering fonts

  • Brian Allen
    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 3, 2002
      Gerald -
      I expect you've been a little lucky. When you open the printer font file in
      Fontographer the first time and then generate a new Mac font + bitmap
      suitcase, a new FOND number is randomly generated. If you reopen that FOG
      database file to make further alterations, Fontographer keeps that same FOND
      ID when generating the new font files. This is where you might get fooled
      and not see a change you thought you made.
      Generally speaking, when a font is downloaded to an output device, the font
      ID is checked. If a laser printer, say, already has something with that
      number, theoretically it won't download a new font with the same ID and will
      use the font data it had already cached. But with the level of complexity
      now between operating systems, ATM, printer drivers, etc., it's hard to know
      what goes on!
      At work when I'm testing changes to PostScript fonts I reboot everything
      between new installations, to be confident I am seeing the latest. (And I'm
      using a specific FOND ID throughout the production cycle, so that's a reason
      for continual rebooting.)
      Brian Allen
      Mountain View, CA

      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 3, 2002
        --- In PPLetterpress@y..., Brian Allen <allenprinter@y...> wrote:
        > Gerald -
        > I expect you've been a little lucky. When you open the printer font
        file in
        > Fontographer the first time and then generate a new Mac font + bitmap
        > suitcase, a new FOND number is randomly generated. If you reopen
        that FOG
        > database file to make further alterations, Fontographer keeps that
        same FOND
        > ID when generating the new font files. This is where you might get
        fooled
        > and not see a change you thought you made.
        > Generally speaking, when a font is downloaded to an output device,
        the font
        > ID is checked. If a laser printer, say, already has something with that
        > number, theoretically it won't download a new font with the same ID
        and will
        > use the font data it had already cached. But with the level of
        complexity
        > now between operating systems, ATM, printer drivers, etc., it's hard
        to know
        > what goes on!
        > At work when I'm testing changes to PostScript fonts I reboot everything
        > between new installations, to be confident I am seeing the latest.
        (And I'm
        > using a specific FOND ID throughout the production cycle, so that's
        a reason
        > for continual rebooting.)
        > Brian Allen

        A long, long time ago a tech at Altsys told me never to regenerate
        from one of their database files so I've always just tossed them.
        Guess that was good advice.

        I note that FontLab constructs a ghost font during the entire process,
        somehow linking this with ATM (for the previews), and then dumps it
        when the font is saved.. I've been tossing their database files as
        well. Though I suspect one should start saving the AFM files as we
        move ever closer to current and forthcoming technologies. (?).