Re: [PPLetterpress] Hot metal type

  • Lamsland
    Message 1 of 25 , Dec 10, 2008
      I had magnesium plates made. solid plate about 1/4" thick not mounted
      to any wood.

    • leorawest@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 25 , Dec 10, 2008
        We do both Letterpress and hot foil stamping. We have a large collection of type and set aside 2 cabinets for hot type because the type is heavily worn by hot stamping and eventually ruined. We keep our Letterpress type separate. For custom plates used in hot stamping, we pay the extra few dollars for copper dies rather than magnesium and we bond temporarily to an aluminium base with heat tape.

        Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

        Message 3 of 25 , Dec 10, 2008
          Many foil stampers and rubber stamp makers used to use Ludlow. It
          would depend on the amount of impressions. You can have 3 or 4 lines
          of the same thing cast.

          On Dec 10, 2008, at 9:54 AM, rgraphix214 wrote:

          > A customer of ours needs some hot metal type. I found a place in
          > San Francisco (M&H) that
          > does it, but is there somewhere in the midwest still doing it.
          >
          > The customer wants to use it for foil stamping. Does doing hot foil
          > stamping with lead type
          > make sense? We make hot foil stamping dies, but we treasure our
          > fingers too much to try
          > cutting out dies of individual letters/numbers at 12 pt.

        • Dave Allen
          Message 4 of 25 , Dec 10, 2008
            Have a look at http://www.fiveroses.org/stampingtype.htm
            Davis Rose has given a very good description of what will work for hot
            stamping.
            Dave Allen

            rgraphix214 wrote:
            > A customer of ours needs some hot metal type. I found a place in San Francisco (M&H) that
            > does it, but is there somewhere in the midwest still doing it.
            >
            > The customer wants to use it for foil stamping. Does doing hot foil stamping with lead type
            > make sense? We make hot foil stamping dies, but we treasure our fingers too much to try
            > cutting out dies of individual letters/numbers at 12 pt.

            840 Snowdrop Ave. Victoria BC V8Z 2N4
            (250)888-9380 http://www.Bookbinder.ca
          • Jan Kellett
            Message 5 of 25 , Dec 10, 2008
              You can use lead type for hot foil stamping, but you will ruin it for
              subsequent use in letterpress and it will not last very many
              stampings. The hardened foundry type lasts a little longer. Also you
              have to be very careful you don't have a melt-down. Brass type is
              pretty expensive, but a good investment if you are blocking book
              covers etc. and need to make just a single or few of one particular
              title. For repeated stampings of the same thing (image, logo, title or
              whatever) a metal die is best, either magnesium or copper. You can get
              a special double-sided adhesive tape to stick the die to a metal block
              to make it type high, for use in one of the old-fashioned blocking
              presses.
              Jan Kellett
            • nashopolis
              Message 6 of 25 , Dec 10, 2008
                --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "rgraphix214" <deystad@...> wrote:

                > A customer of ours needs some hot metal type. I found a place in San Francisco (M&H) that
                > does it, but is there somewhere in the midwest still doing it.
                >
                > The customer wants to use it for foil stamping. Does doing hot foil stamping with lead type
                > make sense? We make hot foil stamping dies, but we treasure our fingers too much to try
                > cutting out dies of individual letters/numbers at 12 pt.

                Howdy new to the group, all of the above info sounds right to me.

                Foil stamping will kill your lead type over time.
                That said Sky Shipley, who casts type, is in southern Illinois and a nice guy
                www.skylinetype.com

                good luck
              • Richard Kegler
                Message 7 of 25 , Dec 10, 2008
                  Ludlow is still used for foil stamping. If it starts to wear down, just have
                  a backup or two cast.

                  We will be offering this as a service through the Western NY Book Arts
                  Collaborative for people who want Ludlow lines cast.

                  Our library is about 100 fonts right now:
                  http://www.wnybookarts.org/ludlow.php

                  Richard Kegler
                  -----------------------------
                  P22 type foundry, Inc.
                  Not your typical type
                  PO Box 770
                  Buffalo, NY 14213
                  http://www.p22.com
                  Phone: 716-885-4490
                  Fax: 716-885-4482
                  -----------------------------
                  Western NY Book Arts Collaborative
                  http://www.wnybookarts.org

                  Message 8 of 25 , Dec 10, 2008
                    On 10 Dec 2008, at 6:11 PM, Richard Kegler wrote:

                    > Ludlow is still used for foil stamping. If it starts to wear down,
                    > just have
                    > a backup or two cast.
                    >
                    > We will be offering this as a service through the Western NY Book Arts
                    > Collaborative for people who want Ludlow lines cast.
                    >
                    > Our library is about 100 fonts right now:
                    > http://www.wnybookarts.org/ludlow.php
                    >
                    > Richard Kegler
                    > -----------------------------

                    Richard--

                    Bravo bravo ;-)

                    I am so happy to see letterpress/book arts collectives popping up east
                    of the Rockies!

                    The Dubuque Book Arts Center (under construction) salutes you!!

                    We don't do hot metal, although we (sadly) just had to pass on a whole
                    shop full of ludlow stuff (near Minneapolis - we'll get the Heidelberg
                    and the Miehle V45. Just couldn't manage the whole shebang)

                    Our good friend and fellow traveler Tim Fay down in Anamosa produces
                    his annual Wapsipinicon Almanac directly from Linotype metal (set and
                    cast in his shop). (On a 20x26 two-color Miller Cylinder, no less).
                    Highly recommended both for the type and the content, which is top-
                    drawer... so to speak. There's a brand new issue out this week!

                    http://wapsi-almanac.com

                    BTW, Tim's also a photopolymer user, just to stay on topic

                    PF

                    Peter Fraterdeus
                    Exquisite Letterpress
                    http://slowprint.com

                    New! SlowPrint Newsletter!
                    Signup: http://tinyurl.com/slowprint
                    Current: http://slowprint.com/slowprintnl
                    Message 9 of 25 , Dec 10, 2008
                      Peter

                      :—) Just a note, photopolymer plates are also used for hot foil
                      stamping. Bunting makes a special base for this and the plates that
                      are designated for it are processed slightly differently. Just to say
                      PP is there as well, not exclusively metal!!!!

                      Message 10 of 25 , Dec 10, 2008
                        Whoa! And, huh? Tell us more!

                        Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

                        Message 11 of 25 , Dec 10, 2008
                          Leorawest

                          No one has ever said "whoa" and "huh" before but I thought this was
                          common knowledge for some many years now. I have had an occasional
                          inquiry about photopolymer plates for this purpose, and have gone
                          through the motions, but I think it is likely more for commercial
                          industrial practice, meaning, more expensive than existing metal
                          practice, at least, at the outlay. Photoengravers who belatedly caught
                          on to the concept of accepting digital files (as opposed to camera
                          ready) sort of make the advantages of this mute (I suspect?). At
                          least, as long as they are viable.

                          Gerald

                          --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, leorawest@... wrote:

                          > Whoa! And, huh? Tell us more!
                          >
                          > Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

                        • Scott Rubel
                          Message 12 of 25 , Dec 11, 2008
                            It may be common knowledge, but not to me. How does polymer stand up to
                            heat? I'm going to have to heat up one of my plates and see how it acts.
                            I would assume everything would get soft and sticky, but you know what
                            they say about assuming. --Scott

                          • rgraphix214
                            Message 13 of 25 , Dec 11, 2008
                              Thanks to all of you for taking the time to give your input. Very refreshing!

                              Several links were passed on to our customer. This was an educational process.

                              Dick

                              Message 14 of 25 , Dec 11, 2008
                                Scott

                                Photopolymer plates are available for hot foil stamping at up to 350
                                degrees F on an aluminum base. Bunting Magnetics supplies bases for
                                this purpose. Plates used in this type of application are mounted with
                                3M film adhesive to .010 tin plate. Bunting not only makes aluminum
                                bases, they also manufacture steel and zinc bases specifically for
                                combination hot foil stamping and diecutting operations.

                                I suspect standard plates configured for letterpress aren't quite
                                going to maintain their rigidity at this temperature.

                                --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Scott Rubel <scott@...> wrote:

                                > It may be common knowledge, but not to me. How does polymer stand up to
                                > heat? I'm going to have to heat up one of my plates and see how it
                                acts.
                                > I would assume everything would get soft and sticky, but you know what
                                > they say about assuming. --Scott
                                >
                                > Gerald Lange wrote:
                                > > Leorawest
                                > >
                                > > No one has ever said "whoa" and "huh" before but I thought this was
                                > > common knowledge for some many years now. I have had an occasional
                                > > inquiry about photopolymer plates for this purpose, and have gone
                                > > through the motions, but I think it is likely more for commercial
                                > > industrial practice, meaning, more expensive than existing metal
                                > > practice, at least, at the outlay. Photoengravers who belatedly caught
                                > > on to the concept of accepting digital files (as opposed to camera
                                > > ready) sort of make the advantages of this mute (I suspect?). At
                                > > least, as long as they are viable.
                                > >

                                > > Gerald
                                > >

                                > > --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, leorawest@ wrote:
                                > >
                                > >> Whoa! And, huh? Tell us more!
                                > >>
                                > >> Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

                              • amy borezo
                                Message 15 of 25 , Dec 11, 2008
                                  Hello,

                                  I have been buying metal type recently for foil stamping as well. Brass type
                                  is the best for foil stamping, followed by service type, followed by foundry
                                  type (And the prices follow the order of hardness!). Monotype is not usable
                                  for foil stamping and distorts after one hit. The foundry type will hold up
                                  well if care is given not to overheat or stamp too hard. The only foundry
                                  type still being made that is hard enough for foil stamping, apparently, is
                                  from Dale Guild Type Foundry which is also sold through NA Graphics. One can
                                  also find foundry type that was made thirty years ago or more still in
                                  unopened packages by foundries like ATF, Bauer and other european foundries
                                  that are acceptable to use--but these seem to be more rare and you have to
                                  hunt them down. I strongly suggest buying from NA Graphics!! You can
                                  probably google 'service type' and find some suppliers--I don't know the
                                  alloy for service type.

                                  --
                                  Amy Borezo
                                  Shelter Bookworks

                                • Graham and Kathy
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Dec 11, 2008
                                    MAZAK was made for foil blocking - sounds like an acronym, but I don't know.

                                    Graham Moss

                                    On 11/12/08 20:07, "amy borezo" <aborezo@...> wrote:

                                    > I don't know the
                                    > alloy for service type.
                                    >
                                    > --
                                    > Amy Borezo
                                  • Graham and Kathy
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Dec 11, 2008
                                      Should have done this first I guess!

                                      On 11/12/08 21:25, "Graham and Kathy" <kwhalen.incline@...> wrote:

                                      > MAZAK was made for foil blocking - sounds like an acronym, but I don't know.
                                      >

                                      > Graham Moss
                                      >

                                      > On 11/12/08 20:07, "amy borezo" <aborezo@...> wrote:
                                      >
                                      >> I don't know the
                                      >> alloy for service type.
                                      >>
                                      >> --
                                      >> Amy Borezo

                                    • aborezo
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Dec 11, 2008
                                        It looks like service type was introduced by Ernest Schaefer to the
                                        bookbinding trade and is made from zinc.
                                        http://www.ernestschaeferinc.com/index.html

                                        They have a catalog of what is available on their website
                                        http://www.ernestschaeferinc.com/catalog_c269713.html. I find that the
                                        service type looks fairly dated. The foundry type from NA Graphics is
                                        more classic. The selection of brass type from P&S Engraving is
                                        heaven, but you must pay a high price to get there.

                                        amy

                                        --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Graham and Kathy
                                        <kwhalen.incline@...> wrote:

                                        > MAZAK was made for foil blocking - sounds like an acronym, but I
                                        don't know.

                                        > Graham Moss
                                        >

                                        > On 11/12/08 20:07, "amy borezo" <aborezo@...> wrote:
                                        >
                                        > > I don't know the
                                        > > alloy for service type.
                                        > >
                                        > > --
                                        > > Amy Borezo

                                      • Fritz Klinke
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Dec 11, 2008
                                          Service type is a new term to me, and I had not heard of the Schaefer line before. Service type may be a name these folks gave to zinc type and perhaps that is the same as Mazak type or Kingsley's zinc type that was cast exclusively by American Type Founders. Zinc will withstand the high temperatures needed for foil stamping. It is nasty stuff to cast and is hard on casting equipment and matrices. ATF was owned by Kingsley at its demise in 1993 and even into the late 1980s, ATF cast over a million dollars worth of zinc type a year for Kingsley. Separate mats were made for zinc service and the machines were strictly used for zinc only. Several of the surviving Barth machines from Kingsley are now owned by Greg Walters and the mats are held by Harold Bratter. All the ATF Kingsley material was held by the surviving Kingsley operation after the 1993 auction in Chicago, but was never put back into service. A fellow from Maine, Kevin Auer, contacted Kingsley and purchased all this and moved it to Maine, then ultimately sold it all to Bratter. One machine was almost converted to regular casting for 36 pt and was to have gone to the Dale Guild, but the work was not completed and Greg Walters has it now in Ohio. As far as I know, there is no genuine zinc type being cast by anyone, but the Schaefer product intrigues me.

                                          I have a bunch of new Kingsley/ATF type that I'm starting to list on the NA Graphics web site. This type should not be mixed with regular metal type as it is not the same height or point size because of the shrinkage characteristics of zinc vs. metal.

                                          Fritz

                                          Message 20 of 25 , Dec 12, 2008
                                            The Mazak type that I have was made by Stephenson Blake of Sheffield, last
                                            of the old type foundries, who closed down I guess about four years ago
                                            (time flies - it could be longer, but they were still casting to order in
                                            1999).
                                            One of the ways they stayed afloat for so long was by supplying type for the
                                            hot foilers. I don't know what faces they supplied, and only have a fount of
                                            24pt Modern No. 20, and that came to me by accident. I keep it in a case
                                            mixed with some of their regular foundry type. It was Howard Bratter who
                                            pointed out to me what it was, me not realizing, and told me that there was
                                            differential shrinkage on cooling between Mazak and regular foundry type,
                                            but it must be so minute as not to show in practical printing use, and I've
                                            not noticed low letters when printing or letters loose in the lock-up when
                                            lifting the chase. The only way I can tell the two castings apart is by the
                                            weight of the letters, the Mazak being noticeably lighter.

                                            I have done a bit of foiling for book titles, and personally I reckon
                                            foundry type is too precious to use that way, as eventually the weave of the
                                            cloth appeared in the face of the letters - instead I use 16g zinc blocks,
                                            made from a typeset original print.

                                            Graham Moss
                                            Incline Press
                                            36 Bow Street
                                            Oldham OL1 1SJ England
                                            http://www.inclinepress.com

                                            On 12/12/08 03:18, "Fritz Klinke" <nagraph@...> wrote:

                                            > Service type is a new term to me, and I had not heard of the Schaefer line
                                            > before. Service type may be a name these folks gave to zinc type and perhaps
                                            > that is the same as Mazak type or Kingsley's zinc type that was cast
                                            > exclusively by American Type Founders. Zinc will withstand the high
                                            > temperatures needed for foil stamping. It is nasty stuff to cast and is hard
                                            > on casting equipment and matrices. ATF was owned by Kingsley at its demise in
                                            > 1993 and even into the late 1980s, ATF cast over a million dollars worth of
                                            > zinc type a year for Kingsley. Separate mats were made for zinc service and
                                            > the machines were strictly used for zinc only. Several of the surviving Barth
                                            > machines from Kingsley are now owned by Greg Walters and the mats are held by
                                            > Harold Bratter. All the ATF Kingsley material was held by the surviving
                                            > Kingsley operation after the 1993 auction in Chicago, but was never put back
                                            > into service. A fellow from Maine, Kevin Auer, contacted Kingsley and
                                            > purchased all this and moved it to Maine, then ultimately sold it all to
                                            > Bratter. One machine was almost converted to regular casting for 36 pt and was
                                            > to have gone to the Dale Guild, but the work was not completed and Greg
                                            > Walters has it now in Ohio. As far as I know, there is no genuine zinc type
                                            > being cast by anyone, but the Schaefer product intrigues me.
                                            >
                                            > I have a bunch of new Kingsley/ATF type that I'm starting to list on the NA
                                            > Graphics web site. This type should not be mixed with regular metal type as it
                                            > is not the same height or point size because of the shrinkage characteristics
                                            > of zinc vs. metal.
                                            >
                                            > Fritz
                                          • aborezo
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Dec 12, 2008
                                              I think that bookbinders should be another market for foundry type. It
                                              seems to me that letterpress alone cannot sustain the production of
                                              the Dale Guild Foundry type. If Dale Guild ceases production, foundry
                                              type in the U.S. will certainly be too precious to use! :) In other
                                              words, if we don't use it then it will no longer be made. I fully
                                              recognize that bookbinders and letterpress printers together may not
                                              be enough to sustain production, but I don't think it is being
                                              marketed to bookbinders at this time, and perhaps it should be. Heck,
                                              maybe Talas should carry it!

                                              To purchase multiple fonts and sizes of brass type would be
                                              outrageously expensive, yet that variety is what one needs in a
                                              bindery. Foundry type offers the ability to get that variety
                                              affordably. In addition, it's not always preferable to make metal
                                              plates for projects. For example, I have about 70 labels I need to
                                              stamp and each one is different. It's so much easier to set type for
                                              this purpose. A ludlow would also be great, but I don't want to deal
                                              with a pot of molten lead in my studio. ;)

                                              I agree that some bookcloth will be too hard on foundry type. It would
                                              be best to use on paper and leather at moderate heat, I would think.
                                              Another drawback for using foundry type for hot foil is that it is
                                              usually not cut as deeply as brass type and, I think, service type.
                                              Another plus for foundry is the amount of letters you get in a
                                              set--much more than with brass or service.

                                              <kwhalen.incline@...> wrote:

                                              > The Mazak type that I have was made by Stephenson Blake of
                                              Sheffield, last
                                              > of the old type foundries, who closed down I guess about four years ago
                                              > (time flies - it could be longer, but they were still casting to
                                              order in
                                              > 1999).
                                              > One of the ways they stayed afloat for so long was by supplying type
                                              for the
                                              > hot foilers. I don't know what faces they supplied, and only have a
                                              fount of
                                              > 24pt Modern No. 20, and that came to me by accident. I keep it in a case
                                              > mixed with some of their regular foundry type. It was Howard Bratter who
                                              > pointed out to me what it was, me not realizing, and told me that
                                              there was
                                              > differential shrinkage on cooling between Mazak and regular foundry
                                              type,
                                              > but it must be so minute as not to show in practical printing use,
                                              and I've
                                              > not noticed low letters when printing or letters loose in the
                                              lock-up when
                                              > lifting the chase. The only way I can tell the two castings apart
                                              is by the
                                              > weight of the letters, the Mazak being noticeably lighter.
                                              >
                                              > I have done a bit of foiling for book titles, and personally I reckon
                                              > foundry type is too precious to use that way, as eventually the
                                              weave of the
                                              > cloth appeared in the face of the letters - instead I use 16g zinc
                                              blocks,
                                              > made from a typeset original print.
                                              >

                                              > Graham Moss
                                              > Incline Press
                                              > 36 Bow Street
                                              > Oldham OL1 1SJ England
                                              > http://www.inclinepress.com

                                            • Fritz Klinke
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Dec 12, 2008
                                                We have sold both Dale Guild type and from existing stocks of new ATF type to book binders, but I agree that it is an undeveloped type sales area. The hard metal formula of ATF type does well in many book operations. And many binders now use mag plates, even for single volumes, and pass the cost along to the client.

                                                For an interesting prcing schedule for monotype/Thompson cast type being sold to hot foil stamping people, take a look at the Howard Imprinting site. Some of these folks with Howard came from Kingsley and they aggressively market their machines, but steer clear of printers.

                                                Fritz