Hot metal type

  • rgraphix214
    Message 1 of 25 , Dec 10, 2008
      A customer of ours needs some hot metal type. I found a place in San Francisco (M&H) that
      does it, but is there somewhere in the midwest still doing it.

      The customer wants to use it for foil stamping. Does doing hot foil stamping with lead type
      make sense? We make hot foil stamping dies, but we treasure our fingers too much to try
      cutting out dies of individual letters/numbers at 12 pt.
    • ricwilson2006
      Message 2 of 25 , Dec 10, 2008
        I've been buying letterpress supplies here at the University of MO,
        and we get all our metal type from M&H. They are nice people who
        deliver quickly if the type is in stock.

        --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "rgraphix214" <deystad@...> wrote:

        > A customer of ours needs some hot metal type. I found a place in San
        Francisco (M&H) that
        > does it, but is there somewhere in the midwest still doing it.
        >
        > The customer wants to use it for foil stamping. Does doing hot foil
        stamping with lead type
        > make sense? We make hot foil stamping dies, but we treasure our
        fingers too much to try
        > cutting out dies of individual letters/numbers at 12 pt.

      • Scott Rubel
        Message 3 of 25 , Dec 10, 2008
          I think brass or steel type is the only kind you can use without
          distortion in the heat. I'm not experienced with it personally, but I
          did some work with a book binder who used a handheld foil stamper and he
          had boxes of brass type, not lead.

          Here is a web site about different kinds of type.

          http://www.fiveroses.org/stampingtype.htm

          --Scott

          Message 4 of 25 , Dec 10, 2008
            I had magnesium plates made. solid plate about 1/4" thick not mounted
            to any wood.

          • leorawest@yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 25 , Dec 10, 2008
              We do both Letterpress and hot foil stamping. We have a large collection of type and set aside 2 cabinets for hot type because the type is heavily worn by hot stamping and eventually ruined. We keep our Letterpress type separate. For custom plates used in hot stamping, we pay the extra few dollars for copper dies rather than magnesium and we bond temporarily to an aluminium base with heat tape.

              Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

              Message 6 of 25 , Dec 10, 2008
                Many foil stampers and rubber stamp makers used to use Ludlow. It
                would depend on the amount of impressions. You can have 3 or 4 lines
                of the same thing cast.

                On Dec 10, 2008, at 9:54 AM, rgraphix214 wrote:

                > A customer of ours needs some hot metal type. I found a place in
                > San Francisco (M&H) that
                > does it, but is there somewhere in the midwest still doing it.
                >
                > The customer wants to use it for foil stamping. Does doing hot foil
                > stamping with lead type
                > make sense? We make hot foil stamping dies, but we treasure our
                > fingers too much to try
                > cutting out dies of individual letters/numbers at 12 pt.

              • Dave Allen
                Message 7 of 25 , Dec 10, 2008
                  Have a look at http://www.fiveroses.org/stampingtype.htm
                  Davis Rose has given a very good description of what will work for hot
                  stamping.
                  Dave Allen

                  rgraphix214 wrote:
                  > A customer of ours needs some hot metal type. I found a place in San Francisco (M&H) that
                  > does it, but is there somewhere in the midwest still doing it.
                  >
                  > The customer wants to use it for foil stamping. Does doing hot foil stamping with lead type
                  > make sense? We make hot foil stamping dies, but we treasure our fingers too much to try
                  > cutting out dies of individual letters/numbers at 12 pt.

                  840 Snowdrop Ave. Victoria BC V8Z 2N4
                  (250)888-9380 http://www.Bookbinder.ca
                • Jan Kellett
                  Message 8 of 25 , Dec 10, 2008
                    You can use lead type for hot foil stamping, but you will ruin it for
                    subsequent use in letterpress and it will not last very many
                    stampings. The hardened foundry type lasts a little longer. Also you
                    have to be very careful you don't have a melt-down. Brass type is
                    pretty expensive, but a good investment if you are blocking book
                    covers etc. and need to make just a single or few of one particular
                    title. For repeated stampings of the same thing (image, logo, title or
                    whatever) a metal die is best, either magnesium or copper. You can get
                    a special double-sided adhesive tape to stick the die to a metal block
                    to make it type high, for use in one of the old-fashioned blocking
                    presses.
                    Jan Kellett
                  • nashopolis
                    Message 9 of 25 , Dec 10, 2008
                      --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "rgraphix214" <deystad@...> wrote:

                      > A customer of ours needs some hot metal type. I found a place in San Francisco (M&H) that
                      > does it, but is there somewhere in the midwest still doing it.
                      >
                      > The customer wants to use it for foil stamping. Does doing hot foil stamping with lead type
                      > make sense? We make hot foil stamping dies, but we treasure our fingers too much to try
                      > cutting out dies of individual letters/numbers at 12 pt.

                      Howdy new to the group, all of the above info sounds right to me.

                      Foil stamping will kill your lead type over time.
                      That said Sky Shipley, who casts type, is in southern Illinois and a nice guy
                      www.skylinetype.com

                      good luck
                    • Richard Kegler
                      Message 10 of 25 , Dec 10, 2008
                        Ludlow is still used for foil stamping. If it starts to wear down, just have
                        a backup or two cast.

                        We will be offering this as a service through the Western NY Book Arts
                        Collaborative for people who want Ludlow lines cast.

                        Our library is about 100 fonts right now:
                        http://www.wnybookarts.org/ludlow.php

                        Richard Kegler
                        -----------------------------
                        P22 type foundry, Inc.
                        Not your typical type
                        PO Box 770
                        Buffalo, NY 14213
                        http://www.p22.com
                        Phone: 716-885-4490
                        Fax: 716-885-4482
                        -----------------------------
                        Western NY Book Arts Collaborative
                        http://www.wnybookarts.org

                        Message 11 of 25 , Dec 10, 2008
                          On 10 Dec 2008, at 6:11 PM, Richard Kegler wrote:

                          > Ludlow is still used for foil stamping. If it starts to wear down,
                          > just have
                          > a backup or two cast.
                          >
                          > We will be offering this as a service through the Western NY Book Arts
                          > Collaborative for people who want Ludlow lines cast.
                          >
                          > Our library is about 100 fonts right now:
                          > http://www.wnybookarts.org/ludlow.php
                          >
                          > Richard Kegler
                          > -----------------------------

                          Richard--

                          Bravo bravo ;-)

                          I am so happy to see letterpress/book arts collectives popping up east
                          of the Rockies!

                          The Dubuque Book Arts Center (under construction) salutes you!!

                          We don't do hot metal, although we (sadly) just had to pass on a whole
                          shop full of ludlow stuff (near Minneapolis - we'll get the Heidelberg
                          and the Miehle V45. Just couldn't manage the whole shebang)

                          Our good friend and fellow traveler Tim Fay down in Anamosa produces
                          his annual Wapsipinicon Almanac directly from Linotype metal (set and
                          cast in his shop). (On a 20x26 two-color Miller Cylinder, no less).
                          Highly recommended both for the type and the content, which is top-
                          drawer... so to speak. There's a brand new issue out this week!

                          http://wapsi-almanac.com

                          BTW, Tim's also a photopolymer user, just to stay on topic

                          PF

                          Peter Fraterdeus
                          Exquisite Letterpress
                          http://slowprint.com

                          New! SlowPrint Newsletter!
                          Signup: http://tinyurl.com/slowprint
                          Current: http://slowprint.com/slowprintnl
                          Message 12 of 25 , Dec 10, 2008
                            Peter

                            :—) Just a note, photopolymer plates are also used for hot foil
                            stamping. Bunting makes a special base for this and the plates that
                            are designated for it are processed slightly differently. Just to say
                            PP is there as well, not exclusively metal!!!!

                            Message 13 of 25 , Dec 10, 2008
                              Whoa! And, huh? Tell us more!

                              Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

                              Message 14 of 25 , Dec 10, 2008
                                Leorawest

                                No one has ever said "whoa" and "huh" before but I thought this was
                                common knowledge for some many years now. I have had an occasional
                                inquiry about photopolymer plates for this purpose, and have gone
                                through the motions, but I think it is likely more for commercial
                                industrial practice, meaning, more expensive than existing metal
                                practice, at least, at the outlay. Photoengravers who belatedly caught
                                on to the concept of accepting digital files (as opposed to camera
                                ready) sort of make the advantages of this mute (I suspect?). At
                                least, as long as they are viable.

                                Gerald

                                Message 15 of 25 , Dec 11, 2008
                                  It may be common knowledge, but not to me. How does polymer stand up to
                                  heat? I'm going to have to heat up one of my plates and see how it acts.
                                  I would assume everything would get soft and sticky, but you know what
                                  they say about assuming. --Scott

                                  Message 16 of 25 , Dec 11, 2008
                                    Thanks to all of you for taking the time to give your input. Very refreshing!

                                    Several links were passed on to our customer. This was an educational process.

                                    Dick

                                    Message 17 of 25 , Dec 11, 2008
                                      Scott

                                      Photopolymer plates are available for hot foil stamping at up to 350
                                      degrees F on an aluminum base. Bunting Magnetics supplies bases for
                                      this purpose. Plates used in this type of application are mounted with
                                      3M film adhesive to .010 tin plate. Bunting not only makes aluminum
                                      bases, they also manufacture steel and zinc bases specifically for
                                      combination hot foil stamping and diecutting operations.

                                      I suspect standard plates configured for letterpress aren't quite
                                      going to maintain their rigidity at this temperature.

                                      --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Scott Rubel <scott@...> wrote:

                                      > It may be common knowledge, but not to me. How does polymer stand up to
                                      > heat? I'm going to have to heat up one of my plates and see how it
                                      acts.
                                      > I would assume everything would get soft and sticky, but you know what
                                      > they say about assuming. --Scott
                                      >
                                      > Gerald Lange wrote:
                                      > > Leorawest
                                      > >
                                      > > No one has ever said "whoa" and "huh" before but I thought this was
                                      > > common knowledge for some many years now. I have had an occasional
                                      > > inquiry about photopolymer plates for this purpose, and have gone
                                      > > through the motions, but I think it is likely more for commercial
                                      > > industrial practice, meaning, more expensive than existing metal
                                      > > practice, at least, at the outlay. Photoengravers who belatedly caught
                                      > > on to the concept of accepting digital files (as opposed to camera
                                      > > ready) sort of make the advantages of this mute (I suspect?). At
                                      > > least, as long as they are viable.
                                      > >

                                      > > Gerald
                                      > >

                                      > > --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, leorawest@ wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > >> Whoa! And, huh? Tell us more!
                                      > >>
                                      > >> Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

                                    • amy borezo
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Dec 11, 2008
                                        Hello,

                                        I have been buying metal type recently for foil stamping as well. Brass type
                                        is the best for foil stamping, followed by service type, followed by foundry
                                        type (And the prices follow the order of hardness!). Monotype is not usable
                                        for foil stamping and distorts after one hit. The foundry type will hold up
                                        well if care is given not to overheat or stamp too hard. The only foundry
                                        type still being made that is hard enough for foil stamping, apparently, is
                                        from Dale Guild Type Foundry which is also sold through NA Graphics. One can
                                        also find foundry type that was made thirty years ago or more still in
                                        unopened packages by foundries like ATF, Bauer and other european foundries
                                        that are acceptable to use--but these seem to be more rare and you have to
                                        hunt them down. I strongly suggest buying from NA Graphics!! You can
                                        probably google 'service type' and find some suppliers--I don't know the
                                        alloy for service type.

                                        --
                                        Amy Borezo
                                        Shelter Bookworks

                                      • Graham and Kathy
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Dec 11, 2008
                                          MAZAK was made for foil blocking - sounds like an acronym, but I don't know.

                                          Graham Moss

                                          On 11/12/08 20:07, "amy borezo" <aborezo@...> wrote:

                                          > I don't know the
                                          > alloy for service type.
                                          >
                                          > --
                                          > Amy Borezo
                                        • Graham and Kathy
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Dec 11, 2008
                                            Should have done this first I guess!

                                            On 11/12/08 21:25, "Graham and Kathy" <kwhalen.incline@...> wrote:

                                            > MAZAK was made for foil blocking - sounds like an acronym, but I don't know.
                                            >

                                            > Graham Moss
                                            >

                                            > On 11/12/08 20:07, "amy borezo" <aborezo@...> wrote:
                                            >
                                            >> I don't know the
                                            >> alloy for service type.
                                            >>
                                            >> --
                                            >> Amy Borezo

                                          • aborezo
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Dec 11, 2008
                                              It looks like service type was introduced by Ernest Schaefer to the
                                              bookbinding trade and is made from zinc.
                                              http://www.ernestschaeferinc.com/index.html

                                              They have a catalog of what is available on their website
                                              http://www.ernestschaeferinc.com/catalog_c269713.html. I find that the
                                              service type looks fairly dated. The foundry type from NA Graphics is
                                              more classic. The selection of brass type from P&S Engraving is
                                              heaven, but you must pay a high price to get there.

                                              amy

                                              --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Graham and Kathy
                                              <kwhalen.incline@...> wrote:

                                              > MAZAK was made for foil blocking - sounds like an acronym, but I
                                              don't know.

                                              > Graham Moss
                                              >

                                              > On 11/12/08 20:07, "amy borezo" <aborezo@...> wrote:
                                              >
                                              > > I don't know the
                                              > > alloy for service type.
                                              > >
                                              > > --
                                              > > Amy Borezo

                                            • Fritz Klinke
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Dec 11, 2008
                                                Service type is a new term to me, and I had not heard of the Schaefer line before. Service type may be a name these folks gave to zinc type and perhaps that is the same as Mazak type or Kingsley's zinc type that was cast exclusively by American Type Founders. Zinc will withstand the high temperatures needed for foil stamping. It is nasty stuff to cast and is hard on casting equipment and matrices. ATF was owned by Kingsley at its demise in 1993 and even into the late 1980s, ATF cast over a million dollars worth of zinc type a year for Kingsley. Separate mats were made for zinc service and the machines were strictly used for zinc only. Several of the surviving Barth machines from Kingsley are now owned by Greg Walters and the mats are held by Harold Bratter. All the ATF Kingsley material was held by the surviving Kingsley operation after the 1993 auction in Chicago, but was never put back into service. A fellow from Maine, Kevin Auer, contacted Kingsley and purchased all this and moved it to Maine, then ultimately sold it all to Bratter. One machine was almost converted to regular casting for 36 pt and was to have gone to the Dale Guild, but the work was not completed and Greg Walters has it now in Ohio. As far as I know, there is no genuine zinc type being cast by anyone, but the Schaefer product intrigues me.

                                                I have a bunch of new Kingsley/ATF type that I'm starting to list on the NA Graphics web site. This type should not be mixed with regular metal type as it is not the same height or point size because of the shrinkage characteristics of zinc vs. metal.

                                                Fritz

                                                Message 23 of 25 , Dec 12, 2008
                                                  The Mazak type that I have was made by Stephenson Blake of Sheffield, last
                                                  of the old type foundries, who closed down I guess about four years ago
                                                  (time flies - it could be longer, but they were still casting to order in
                                                  1999).
                                                  One of the ways they stayed afloat for so long was by supplying type for the
                                                  hot foilers. I don't know what faces they supplied, and only have a fount of
                                                  24pt Modern No. 20, and that came to me by accident. I keep it in a case
                                                  mixed with some of their regular foundry type. It was Howard Bratter who
                                                  pointed out to me what it was, me not realizing, and told me that there was
                                                  differential shrinkage on cooling between Mazak and regular foundry type,
                                                  but it must be so minute as not to show in practical printing use, and I've
                                                  not noticed low letters when printing or letters loose in the lock-up when
                                                  lifting the chase. The only way I can tell the two castings apart is by the
                                                  weight of the letters, the Mazak being noticeably lighter.

                                                  I have done a bit of foiling for book titles, and personally I reckon
                                                  foundry type is too precious to use that way, as eventually the weave of the
                                                  cloth appeared in the face of the letters - instead I use 16g zinc blocks,
                                                  made from a typeset original print.

                                                  Graham Moss
                                                  Incline Press
                                                  36 Bow Street
                                                  Oldham OL1 1SJ England
                                                  http://www.inclinepress.com

                                                  On 12/12/08 03:18, "Fritz Klinke" <nagraph@...> wrote:

                                                  > Service type is a new term to me, and I had not heard of the Schaefer line
                                                  > before. Service type may be a name these folks gave to zinc type and perhaps
                                                  > that is the same as Mazak type or Kingsley's zinc type that was cast
                                                  > exclusively by American Type Founders. Zinc will withstand the high
                                                  > temperatures needed for foil stamping. It is nasty stuff to cast and is hard
                                                  > on casting equipment and matrices. ATF was owned by Kingsley at its demise in
                                                  > 1993 and even into the late 1980s, ATF cast over a million dollars worth of
                                                  > zinc type a year for Kingsley. Separate mats were made for zinc service and
                                                  > the machines were strictly used for zinc only. Several of the surviving Barth
                                                  > machines from Kingsley are now owned by Greg Walters and the mats are held by
                                                  > Harold Bratter. All the ATF Kingsley material was held by the surviving
                                                  > Kingsley operation after the 1993 auction in Chicago, but was never put back
                                                  > into service. A fellow from Maine, Kevin Auer, contacted Kingsley and
                                                  > purchased all this and moved it to Maine, then ultimately sold it all to
                                                  > Bratter. One machine was almost converted to regular casting for 36 pt and was
                                                  > to have gone to the Dale Guild, but the work was not completed and Greg
                                                  > Walters has it now in Ohio. As far as I know, there is no genuine zinc type
                                                  > being cast by anyone, but the Schaefer product intrigues me.
                                                  >
                                                  > I have a bunch of new Kingsley/ATF type that I'm starting to list on the NA
                                                  > Graphics web site. This type should not be mixed with regular metal type as it
                                                  > is not the same height or point size because of the shrinkage characteristics
                                                  > of zinc vs. metal.
                                                  >
                                                  > Fritz
                                                • aborezo
                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Dec 12, 2008
                                                    I think that bookbinders should be another market for foundry type. It
                                                    seems to me that letterpress alone cannot sustain the production of
                                                    the Dale Guild Foundry type. If Dale Guild ceases production, foundry
                                                    type in the U.S. will certainly be too precious to use! :) In other
                                                    words, if we don't use it then it will no longer be made. I fully
                                                    recognize that bookbinders and letterpress printers together may not
                                                    be enough to sustain production, but I don't think it is being
                                                    marketed to bookbinders at this time, and perhaps it should be. Heck,
                                                    maybe Talas should carry it!

                                                    To purchase multiple fonts and sizes of brass type would be
                                                    outrageously expensive, yet that variety is what one needs in a
                                                    bindery. Foundry type offers the ability to get that variety
                                                    affordably. In addition, it's not always preferable to make metal
                                                    plates for projects. For example, I have about 70 labels I need to
                                                    stamp and each one is different. It's so much easier to set type for
                                                    this purpose. A ludlow would also be great, but I don't want to deal
                                                    with a pot of molten lead in my studio. ;)

                                                    I agree that some bookcloth will be too hard on foundry type. It would
                                                    be best to use on paper and leather at moderate heat, I would think.
                                                    Another drawback for using foundry type for hot foil is that it is
                                                    usually not cut as deeply as brass type and, I think, service type.
                                                    Another plus for foundry is the amount of letters you get in a
                                                    set--much more than with brass or service.

                                                    <kwhalen.incline@...> wrote:

                                                    > The Mazak type that I have was made by Stephenson Blake of
                                                    Sheffield, last
                                                    > of the old type foundries, who closed down I guess about four years ago
                                                    > (time flies - it could be longer, but they were still casting to
                                                    order in
                                                    > 1999).
                                                    > One of the ways they stayed afloat for so long was by supplying type
                                                    for the
                                                    > hot foilers. I don't know what faces they supplied, and only have a
                                                    fount of
                                                    > 24pt Modern No. 20, and that came to me by accident. I keep it in a case
                                                    > mixed with some of their regular foundry type. It was Howard Bratter who
                                                    > pointed out to me what it was, me not realizing, and told me that
                                                    there was
                                                    > differential shrinkage on cooling between Mazak and regular foundry
                                                    type,
                                                    > but it must be so minute as not to show in practical printing use,
                                                    and I've
                                                    > not noticed low letters when printing or letters loose in the
                                                    lock-up when
                                                    > lifting the chase. The only way I can tell the two castings apart
                                                    is by the
                                                    > weight of the letters, the Mazak being noticeably lighter.
                                                    >
                                                    > I have done a bit of foiling for book titles, and personally I reckon
                                                    > foundry type is too precious to use that way, as eventually the
                                                    weave of the
                                                    > cloth appeared in the face of the letters - instead I use 16g zinc
                                                    blocks,
                                                    > made from a typeset original print.
                                                    >

                                                    > Graham Moss
                                                    > Incline Press
                                                    > 36 Bow Street
                                                    > Oldham OL1 1SJ England
                                                    > http://www.inclinepress.com

                                                  • Fritz Klinke
                                                    Message 25 of 25 , Dec 12, 2008
                                                      We have sold both Dale Guild type and from existing stocks of new ATF type to book binders, but I agree that it is an undeveloped type sales area. The hard metal formula of ATF type does well in many book operations. And many binders now use mag plates, even for single volumes, and pass the cost along to the client.

                                                      For an interesting prcing schedule for monotype/Thompson cast type being sold to hot foil stamping people, take a look at the Howard Imprinting site. Some of these folks with Howard came from Kingsley and they aggressively market their machines, but steer clear of printers.

                                                      Fritz