Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: Altering fonts

    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 3, 2002
      Brian Allen wrote:

      >RE: regenerating font files in Fontographer (version 4+ for the Mac) - one
      >can change the FOND ID number when making Macintosh PostScript fonts.
      >When you get to the "Generate Font Files" dialog and ask for a Macintosh
      >font, you'll see on the right side of the dialog: "Bitmap font to output"
      >"Format: NFNT, ID:xxxxx" (some number will be here)
      >This is the FOND ID number to change (use one less than 15,000)
      >When altering a font for personal use, one should both alter the name AND
      >the FOND ID number, to be sure ATM, application, and printer driver aren't
      >confused. And further, it's best to reboot your machine and printer to clear
      >cached memory of font ID numbers before installing the new font.
      >Brian Allen
      >who works in font production for Agfa Monotype
      >Mountain View, California

      Brian

      Thanks. I've never done this and thus far neither my laser printer or
      any imagesetter that has been used has been confused. (?) Am I just lucky?

      I've been trying to put together a cheat sheet on FL like I did for FOG.
      I see no real controls to recalc bitmaps or import metric info from the
      original font like one would do in FOG. I've talked to an FL tech and he
      says you don't have to, FL does it automatically. Well not from the
      looks of the fonts I've generated. Spacing attributes are not correct at
      all. Any tips and tricks? The manual is a complete nightmare, though I
      must say I do like the Transformation Range capabilities.

      Gerald

    • Brian Allen
      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 3, 2002
        Gerald -
        I expect you've been a little lucky. When you open the printer font file in
        Fontographer the first time and then generate a new Mac font + bitmap
        suitcase, a new FOND number is randomly generated. If you reopen that FOG
        database file to make further alterations, Fontographer keeps that same FOND
        ID when generating the new font files. This is where you might get fooled
        and not see a change you thought you made.
        Generally speaking, when a font is downloaded to an output device, the font
        ID is checked. If a laser printer, say, already has something with that
        number, theoretically it won't download a new font with the same ID and will
        use the font data it had already cached. But with the level of complexity
        now between operating systems, ATM, printer drivers, etc., it's hard to know
        what goes on!
        At work when I'm testing changes to PostScript fonts I reboot everything
        between new installations, to be confident I am seeing the latest. (And I'm
        using a specific FOND ID throughout the production cycle, so that's a reason
        for continual rebooting.)
        Brian Allen
        Mountain View, CA

        Message 3 of 18 , Nov 3, 2002
          --- In PPLetterpress@y..., Brian Allen <allenprinter@y...> wrote:
          > Gerald -
          > I expect you've been a little lucky. When you open the printer font
          file in
          > Fontographer the first time and then generate a new Mac font + bitmap
          > suitcase, a new FOND number is randomly generated. If you reopen
          that FOG
          > database file to make further alterations, Fontographer keeps that
          same FOND
          > ID when generating the new font files. This is where you might get
          fooled
          > and not see a change you thought you made.
          > Generally speaking, when a font is downloaded to an output device,
          the font
          > ID is checked. If a laser printer, say, already has something with that
          > number, theoretically it won't download a new font with the same ID
          and will
          > use the font data it had already cached. But with the level of
          complexity
          > now between operating systems, ATM, printer drivers, etc., it's hard
          to know
          > what goes on!
          > At work when I'm testing changes to PostScript fonts I reboot everything
          > between new installations, to be confident I am seeing the latest.
          (And I'm
          > using a specific FOND ID throughout the production cycle, so that's
          a reason
          > for continual rebooting.)
          > Brian Allen

          A long, long time ago a tech at Altsys told me never to regenerate
          from one of their database files so I've always just tossed them.
          Guess that was good advice.

          I note that FontLab constructs a ghost font during the entire process,
          somehow linking this with ATM (for the previews), and then dumps it
          when the font is saved.. I've been tossing their database files as
          well. Though I suspect one should start saving the AFM files as we
          move ever closer to current and forthcoming technologies. (?).