Re: beginning with letterpress

    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1, 2008
      Hi Kati

      I hope you have received some response but if not...

      Thank you for your email. Lots of questions though. I think as an
      introduction to the varieties of all of this you might want to go to
      the Boxcar Press website

      http://www.boxcarpress.com/

      Lots of information. Further inquiries are easily addressed here.

      --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, kati sanabria <kasanabria@...>
      wrote:

      > Hi,
      > I'm a graphic designer living in Lima, Peru and I just signed to
      PPL. I discover this wonder proccess two months ago and I fell in love.
      > I'm deciding to buy a press at the end of december, one bigger than
      letter size with motor and a big platen that is in excellent
      conditions, but I need to know more about the materials I need and if
      those are sold here.
      > I'm collecting all the info about the process here on internet
      (sites, blogs, videos) because where I live letterpress itself has
      almost dissapeared. There are lots of printing business that still use
      letterpress (imprentas tipograficas in spanish) but for hot-foil
      stamping and engraving only.
      > Miraclously a friend told me about a man who has a tiny letterpress
      (5x8) who still sells stationery (mainly business cards) and he will
      give me a workshop which makes me really happy. However, as I see,
      digital letterpress is the unique way now as nobody sells types here
      anymore.
      > I would apprecciatte all your advices and knowledge helping me to
      solve these my first questions:
      > Which kind of photopolymer plates are suitable for letterpress?
      > I know flexographic industry use the same material and I recently
      contact some business here who sells this, but I'm not sure if these
      are the same and I need to tell them the specific names or products.
      Are those of dupont (cyrel) the correct ones? in which widths?
      > What kind of inks and papers are suitable for the print process?
      >
      > I would love all the advices you can provide.
      >
      > Thank you,
      > Kati

    • Lola Espinosa
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 3, 2008
        Hola Kati!
        I think your first and best bet is trying to learn as much as possible
        from that man who still prints stationary with hand set type. That
        practice will give you the basics. He will teach you about inks,
        measurements, spacing, locking forms, everything!

        I am sure you can grab some nice old type in good condition from
        imprentas tipográficas thant don't use it anymore and still keep their
        cases accumulating dust and dirt in forgotten corners of their shops.

        And about printing your own designs... I don't know what it is like in
        Perú but here in Spain we don't use much photopolymer plates but zinc
        plates. They are exactly the same plates used for hot foil stamping
        but they are thiner, so you might get to know where to get them from
        any of the shops you have known are making hot foil stamping.

        Also, your "master man" will be a good source again and will teach you
        how to use them as I am sure he will be using them for logos in his
        jobs.

        I hope my observations are of some help.
        Feel free to ask me in Spanish, I am not an expert but I was in
        exactly your situation four or five years ago.

        Best luck,
        Lola Espinosa
        http://www.lafutura.es

        2008/12/1, kati sanabria <kasanabria@...>:

        > Hi,
        > I'm a graphic designer living in Lima, Peru and I just signed to PPL. I
        > discover this wonder proccess two months ago and I fell in love.
        > I'm deciding to buy a press at the end of december, one bigger than letter
        > size with motor and a big platen that is in excellent conditions, but I need
        > to know more about the materials I need and if those are sold here.
        > I'm collecting all the info about the process here on internet (sites,
        > blogs, videos) because where I live letterpress itself has almost
        > dissapeared. There are lots of printing business that still use letterpress
        > (imprentas tipograficas in spanish) but for hot-foil stamping and engraving
        > only.
        > Miraclously a friend told me about a man who has a tiny letterpress (5x8)
        > who still sells stationery (mainly business cards) and he will give me a
        > workshop which makes me really happy. However, as I see, digital letterpress
        > is the unique way now as nobody sells types here anymore.
        > I would apprecciatte all your advices and knowledge helping me to solve
        > these my first questions:
        > Which kind of photopolymer plates are suitable for letterpress?
        > I know flexographic industry use the same material and I recently contact
        > some business here who sells this, but I'm not sure if these are the same
        > and I need to tell them the specific names or products. Are those of dupont
        > (cyrel) the correct ones? in which widths?
        > What kind of inks and papers are suitable for the print process?
        >
        > I would love all the advices you can provide.
        >
        > Thank you,
        > Kati

      • Gary Johanson
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 9, 2008
          Hi, Kati:

          There are several different answers to your questions, many of which may go
          beyond the topic range of this list, so rather than get into papers, inks, etc.,
          and run several Off Topic (OT) threads here, feel free to e-Mail me directly
          if you wish. ( wd4nka@... )

          BTW, I don't run polymer here for my digitally desinged plates, but rather,
          copper, for a number of reasons. One is that I want the block to be trimmed
          very close to the image.

          Gerald already mentioned Boxcar Press, a great source of information.

          gary / Settlement Printer

          http://www.gjohanson.blogspot.com