beginning with letterpress

  • kati sanabria
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 30, 2008
      Hi,
      I'm a graphic designer living in Lima, Peru and I just signed to PPL. I discover this wonder proccess two months ago and I fell in love.
      I'm deciding to buy a press at the end of december, one bigger than letter size with motor and a big platen that is in excellent conditions, but I need to know more about the materials I need and if those are sold here.
      I'm collecting all the info about the process here on internet (sites, blogs, videos) because where I live letterpress itself has almost dissapeared. There are lots of printing business that still use letterpress (imprentas tipograficas in spanish) but for hot-foil stamping and engraving only.
      Miraclously a friend told me about a man who has a tiny letterpress (5x8) who still sells stationery (mainly business cards) and he will give me a workshop which makes me really happy. However, as I see, digital letterpress is the unique way now as nobody sells types here anymore.
      I would apprecciatte all your advices and knowledge helping me to solve these my first questions:
      Which kind of photopolymer plates are suitable for letterpress?
      I know flexographic industry use the same material and I recently contact some business here who sells this, but I'm not sure if these are the same and I need to tell them the specific names or products. Are those of dupont (cyrel) the correct ones? in which widths?
      What kind of inks and papers are suitable for the print process?

      I would love all the advices you can provide.

      Thank you,
      Kati

      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 1, 2008
        Hi Kati

        I hope you have received some response but if not...

        Thank you for your email. Lots of questions though. I think as an
        introduction to the varieties of all of this you might want to go to
        the Boxcar Press website

        http://www.boxcarpress.com/

        Lots of information. Further inquiries are easily addressed here.

        --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, kati sanabria <kasanabria@...>
        wrote:

        > Hi,
        > I'm a graphic designer living in Lima, Peru and I just signed to
        PPL. I discover this wonder proccess two months ago and I fell in love.
        > I'm deciding to buy a press at the end of december, one bigger than
        letter size with motor and a big platen that is in excellent
        conditions, but I need to know more about the materials I need and if
        those are sold here.
        > I'm collecting all the info about the process here on internet
        (sites, blogs, videos) because where I live letterpress itself has
        almost dissapeared. There are lots of printing business that still use
        letterpress (imprentas tipograficas in spanish) but for hot-foil
        stamping and engraving only.
        > Miraclously a friend told me about a man who has a tiny letterpress
        (5x8) who still sells stationery (mainly business cards) and he will
        give me a workshop which makes me really happy. However, as I see,
        digital letterpress is the unique way now as nobody sells types here
        anymore.
        > I would apprecciatte all your advices and knowledge helping me to
        solve these my first questions:
        > Which kind of photopolymer plates are suitable for letterpress?
        > I know flexographic industry use the same material and I recently
        contact some business here who sells this, but I'm not sure if these
        are the same and I need to tell them the specific names or products.
        Are those of dupont (cyrel) the correct ones? in which widths?
        > What kind of inks and papers are suitable for the print process?
        >
        > I would love all the advices you can provide.
        >
        > Thank you,
        > Kati

      • Lola Espinosa
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 3, 2008
          Hola Kati!
          I think your first and best bet is trying to learn as much as possible
          from that man who still prints stationary with hand set type. That
          practice will give you the basics. He will teach you about inks,
          measurements, spacing, locking forms, everything!

          I am sure you can grab some nice old type in good condition from
          imprentas tipográficas thant don't use it anymore and still keep their
          cases accumulating dust and dirt in forgotten corners of their shops.

          And about printing your own designs... I don't know what it is like in
          Perú but here in Spain we don't use much photopolymer plates but zinc
          plates. They are exactly the same plates used for hot foil stamping
          but they are thiner, so you might get to know where to get them from
          any of the shops you have known are making hot foil stamping.

          Also, your "master man" will be a good source again and will teach you
          how to use them as I am sure he will be using them for logos in his
          jobs.

          I hope my observations are of some help.
          Feel free to ask me in Spanish, I am not an expert but I was in
          exactly your situation four or five years ago.

          Best luck,
          Lola Espinosa
          http://www.lafutura.es

          2008/12/1, kati sanabria <kasanabria@...>:

          > Hi,
          > I'm a graphic designer living in Lima, Peru and I just signed to PPL. I
          > discover this wonder proccess two months ago and I fell in love.
          > I'm deciding to buy a press at the end of december, one bigger than letter
          > size with motor and a big platen that is in excellent conditions, but I need
          > to know more about the materials I need and if those are sold here.
          > I'm collecting all the info about the process here on internet (sites,
          > blogs, videos) because where I live letterpress itself has almost
          > dissapeared. There are lots of printing business that still use letterpress
          > (imprentas tipograficas in spanish) but for hot-foil stamping and engraving
          > only.
          > Miraclously a friend told me about a man who has a tiny letterpress (5x8)
          > who still sells stationery (mainly business cards) and he will give me a
          > workshop which makes me really happy. However, as I see, digital letterpress
          > is the unique way now as nobody sells types here anymore.
          > I would apprecciatte all your advices and knowledge helping me to solve
          > these my first questions:
          > Which kind of photopolymer plates are suitable for letterpress?
          > I know flexographic industry use the same material and I recently contact
          > some business here who sells this, but I'm not sure if these are the same
          > and I need to tell them the specific names or products. Are those of dupont
          > (cyrel) the correct ones? in which widths?
          > What kind of inks and papers are suitable for the print process?
          >
          > I would love all the advices you can provide.
          >
          > Thank you,
          > Kati

        • Gary Johanson
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 9, 2008
            Hi, Kati:

            There are several different answers to your questions, many of which may go
            beyond the topic range of this list, so rather than get into papers, inks, etc.,
            and run several Off Topic (OT) threads here, feel free to e-Mail me directly
            if you wish. ( wd4nka@... )

            BTW, I don't run polymer here for my digitally desinged plates, but rather,
            copper, for a number of reasons. One is that I want the block to be trimmed
            very close to the image.

            Gerald already mentioned Boxcar Press, a great source of information.

            gary / Settlement Printer

            http://www.gjohanson.blogspot.com